April Build of the Month - Wyvern Watch Castle

See the individual Kickstarter Forums for updates on our Kickstarters. This Forum is for general news about our products.
kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: April Build of the Month - Wyvern Watch Castle

Post by kitenerd » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:09 am

I am so glad that DF got the BotM dialed in and it is so successful as both sales and marketing tool... just AWESOME

fun for all of us to watch each month too ;)
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

KayBur
Kobold
Kobold

Post by KayBur » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:10 am

kitenerd wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:09 am I am so glad that DF got the BotM dialed in and it is so successful as both sales and marketing tool... just AWESOME

fun for all of us to watch each month too ;)
It is always interesting to look at the effectiveness of innovations.

SwissArmyMage
Orc
Orc

Post by SwissArmyMage » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:29 am

Aaannnddd it's sold out.

And they were worried they wouldn't sell any. :lol:
Link to my drive with photos of my custom painted collection.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Updated with new pics on occasion.

zenako
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by zenako » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:53 am

Well, that was a nice success for DF. Now they just have to have more sets in stock for those new castle owners to expand with. (Although those BotM packs/offerings were pretty good on the flexibility front compared to the older castle sets.) For me, that just shifts some funds this month to some other KS I guess...

Riley
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Riley » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:57 pm

SwissArmyMage wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:29 am Aaannnddd it's sold out.

And they were worried they wouldn't sell any. :lol:
It was a great build, with lots of cool, fun castle bits.

I would have bought it- if I didn’t already have most of it.

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:09 am

Remember back when they started Build of the Month and they would build out of sets that were sold out?!?!?

I am so glad this got dialed in so well and is working so well!
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

Hexenmond
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Hexenmond » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:33 am

I don't want to ruin the party, but I wouldn't be surprised if only about half of the bundles were actually sold and if the rest became unavailable due to the low stock of the corners (also mentioned by Adjustus) and gates sets.

If my memory serves me right, those sets had magically disappeared from the web shop shortly before the BotM was announced. Both sets are also not part of the June/July restock, so anyone interested in expanding their castle with corners for $49.5 per corner instead of $246 per corner via Square Corner Tower, or anybody interested in getting a basic gatehouse for $197 instead of $412 or $427 for the more advanced options, had to pull the trigger now.

I would assume that the underlying problem is that DF hugely underestimated the demand for the Construct-A-Castle Corner Wall set. The entire castle corner situation had already become complicated due to a pack composition decision made during the original KS4 era, when the Cutout Corner Wall pack was designed to come without a Corner Spacer and without Inside Corner Walls, probably based on the assumption that most backers would buy some sort of big castle set as a base and expand from there.

When I became interested in turning my Watchtower into some sort of castle or city fortification, I bought the Tower Transition Pack and Cutout Corner wall in hopes building a corner tower. The description of the Tower Transition Pack correctly states "Also requires a Corner Cutout pack to connect interior of tower and wall.", whereas the description of the Inside Corner Wall fails to mention that a Corner Spacer and and two Inside Corner Walls had to be obtained from elsewhere. When I look for DF sets on ebay, I always see a couple of Cutout Corner packs or people selling corner walls without Corner Spacers and Inside Corner Walls. So, I'm apparently not the only one who made this mistake and needed to grab extra corners later because of it.

Droooo
Orc
Orc

Post by Droooo » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:41 am

Hexenmond wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:33 am I don't want to ruin the party, but I wouldn't be surprised if only about half of the bundles were actually sold and if the rest became unavailable due to the low stock of the corners (also mentioned by Adjustus) and gates sets.

If my memory serves me right, those sets had magically disappeared from the web shop shortly before the BotM was announced.
When they do a BOTM, they remove the quantity from all the composite sets in advance. So once the big build is available, nobody can cause it to be unavailable by buying the individual components anymore - those will show as sold out even if there are still 13 at the warehouse to use for the BOTM.

guslandt
Goblin
Goblin

Post by guslandt » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:41 am

Forgive me if this is a foolish question, but does anyone know whether or not someone who owns both the Grand Citadel and Royal Keep sets would be able to build this BotM without needing anything extra?

I hesitated on buying this BotM because I own the Grand Citadel and Royal Keep sets and didn't know if I'd already be able to build this... :?:

Hexenmond
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Hexenmond » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:09 am

Droooo wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:41 amWhen they do a BOTM, they remove the quantity from all the composite sets in advance. So once the big build is available, nobody can cause it to be unavailable by buying the individual components anymore - those will show as sold out even if there are still 13 at the warehouse to use for the BOTM.
I'm not sure if this worked as intended this time. What I observed was:

Hint 1: The two sets that I mentioned were suddenly gone a few days before the BotM was announced. The gatehouse wasn't even visible in the Construct-A-Castle section anymore, unlike the sets that were sold out before. So, something "nonstandard" was going on in the web store.
Hint 2: Then the two sets were back in stock at the exact time, if I recall right, when the BotM became available.
Hint 3: A few days later, Adjustus posted in this thread that DF "sold out of the corner walls that are part of the pack" and DF is "seeing if we can free up some more corner walls", and mentioned "a new bundling software".

I can still see how all of this can be explained by an overwhelming success of the bundles, but it seemed to me (and I can be wrong!) as if the exact same sets that were supposed to go into the bundles where also available separately due to some unexpected software behavior. If that was the case, then I know at least one person (that would be me) that decided to buy some a-la-carte castle pieces, including corners, over the bundles, due to the high price and prohibitive shipping costs. Which, to be fair, still means that DF made me spent more money on Dwarvenite. :shock: But it would not add as much to the "Let's do more giant BotM bundles" success story.

Return to “Dwarven Forge News”