Greetings from the Forge: Part 4 The Greetening ⚔

See the individual Kickstarter Forums for updates on our Kickstarters. This Forum is for general news about our products.
Valorian_Seneschal
Orc
Orc

Re: Greetings from the Forge: Part 4 The Greetening ⚔

Post by Valorian_Seneschal » Wed May 29, 2019 11:21 am

Here is another build created by builder Tobi for @UpUpDwnDwn’s Rollout!
Watch: 🔥💀 https://bit.ly/2LrTz9Q

Nina, Valorian Seneschal

astolat
Orc
Orc

Post by astolat » Wed May 29, 2019 11:20 am

Valorian_Seneschal wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 10:16 am
zenako wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 4:08 pm
Mon May 20, 2019 9:36 am
Hey guys, I posted a walkthrough video of our build from the DnD Live event over on our facebook page. I would post it here but I can't figure out how to post video. Maybe it isn't possible. Check it out!

https://www.facebook.com/119631113854/p ... =e&sfns=mo
Thanks for the video and the close-ups. Now have we heard about the lighting on the lava? Back light? Special fluorescence from UV light? Is it translucent? Expectations are varied and depend on the final solution.
Please note that any answers I give might be subject to change as we get final pricing and try to balance affordability with coolness. Right now the plan is to cast the pieces in a translucent material, and to sell light panels to put underneath. The paint on the lava parts is also translucent.
Some of the paint on the KS6 Underdoom is UV.
Words cannot express how excited I am! \o/ I will have lava AND water waterfalls! And possibly a green sludge waterfall! And maybe a MYSTICAL VIOLET waterfall! AND light panels!

Will DF be selling the translucent paint or do you have any variety you can recommend to use?

nielsene
Ogre
Ogre

Post by nielsene » Wed May 29, 2019 11:19 am

Do you have an ETA on when events for GenCon would be posted? So I can stop asking, when they'll be posted. :)

Valorian_Seneschal
Orc
Orc

Post by Valorian_Seneschal » Wed May 29, 2019 11:07 am

Erin is using the same paints used for the original lava to paint the new items, so at least in regard to color they will be similar. Our goal is to keep improving on what we have done in the past. This me this means greater realism, higher paint quality, more precise sculpting. I personally think that we have improved on the past lava, and that you can absolutely still use it with the new stuff. I will be.
Nina, Valorian Seneschal

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Wed May 29, 2019 5:04 am

Given DFs track record of compatibility with previous Kickstarters and even Resin lines. Fully expect Hellscape to be compatible with KS2 lava where sensible, which is as we see it KS 2 lava walls.

But that compatibility probably won’t extend to texture and likely paint job.

We dont know what KS2 lava caverns look like in close up, but we expect new ones to be more textured and if any Lava walls in the new KS are translucent then the paint job will look different to KS2.

As would be expected with DFs preference for negative space there looks to be no Lava lake rather than a transition from river to terrain tray.

So while DF have one eye on backwards compatibility there main focus is in producing better terrain now.

During the KS we expect either a video or at the very least pictures showing KS6.66 sculpts being used with KS2, just like they did in CD.
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

ilionblaze
Goblin
Goblin

Post by ilionblaze » Mon May 27, 2019 2:16 pm

Fri May 24, 2019 11:55 am
GardenDM wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 11:04 am
Excitement intensifies!!!

When does this launch again? :D
JUNE 16TH! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
I've got to work harder to keep this in mind. Keep checking back far too often for updates! I'm so curious about what budget will be like for this. I just got into DF with KSVI and have been backfilling on a near weekly basis. (I think my wife might be starting to worry.) Need to figure out when to hold for a new kickstarter, but then the store store restocks and well, it was stated those stone ruins were limited....

(I even passed on the marble that showed up. I think the only thing that saved me there was the lack of marble floors.)

Talistran
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Talistran » Fri May 24, 2019 2:09 pm

pacarat wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 1:22 pm
I doubt seriously (and never expected) that my smooth flat KS2 lava river tiles will match whatever sculpted texture is coming on this new stuff - and that’s not my point. I am hoping for a transition piece that will show/allow a 2 wide river to expand into the 4 wide lava river - so I don’t have too cut up a bunch of the surrounding rock level to do an outflow piece... that’s all.
Yep, same same.

pacarat
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by pacarat » Fri May 24, 2019 1:22 pm

I doubt seriously (and never expected) that my smooth flat KS2 lava river tiles will match whatever sculpted texture is coming on this new stuff - and that’s not my point. I am hoping for a transition piece that will show/allow a 2 wide river to expand into the 4 wide lava river - so I don’t have too cut up a bunch of the surrounding rock level to do an outflow piece... that’s all.

Talistran
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Talistran » Fri May 24, 2019 1:04 pm

AnimeSensei wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 12:12 pm
Talistran wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 12:01 pm
pacarat wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 10:06 am
Looks cool. Sure hope there is a 4x4 to 2x2 river transition piece in there somewhere...essential to connect with existing lava rivers.
Agreed. MUST work with KS2 lava.
It's an upgrade to the lava. It obviously doesn't look the same as KS2 lava. That's like saying parts on my 2018 Ford need to work with my Model T.

I expect the walls and floors to work with KS2 lava pieces, and I agree that they should, but I think you're setting yourself up for disappointment on the lava compatibility front. Stefan was NEVER happy with how the KS2 lava turned out and said so multiple times. I'm pretty sure that sentiment is shared with the rest of the team, hence the focus on new lava rivers here.

Again, it sure seems the whole point of this kickstarter isn't new sculpts for walls or floors. The centerpiece is the new lava rivers.
Right. And integrating lava rivers with the old KS2 walls and floors doesn't seem out of the realm from the pictures. The paint and sculpt seems similar.

Maybe your reading of my limited words (my bad for not breaking it down more, I guess) went beyond what was implied, but "MUST work with KS2 lava" doesn't mean, "The lava flows from KS2 lava set better be able to implement perfectly with the new textured lava flow or else there will be Hellscape to pay." :)

Rather, it was a sentiment that as one of those who bought into the KS2 Cavern "lava paint job", that it is a must (in my book) for the paint and sculpting to WORK with the new stuff. The same sentiment that I expressed routinely for KS6 caverns in regards to KS2 caverns.

I've never thought the "water tile" portion of the KS2 lava caverns was perfect either; but it is better than most else out there (IMO, better than the tomato soup of the resin line). I'm excited about this new stuff. I have argued that I dislike the negative space idea, so I am VERY happy they went modeled/textured and think it looks fabulous so far. I think there is a lot of room for the KS2 "lava tiles" (read non-wall, non-floor... i.e. river pieces) to still work in and around the new lava as pools and lakes, instead of flowing lava.

Does that help? I've not set myself up for disappointment. But I am again choosing to be vocal that it is vitally important [to this backer] to take limited steps to ensure that KS2 "lava cavern pieces including floors, walls, and to some extent the river pieces" and KS6.66 "flowing lava, any potential new walls, any potential new floors" work together. Work together. Not flow seemlessly in sculpt, paint, and style. ;)

Better? :)

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Fri May 24, 2019 12:12 pm

Talistran wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 12:01 pm
pacarat wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 10:06 am
Looks cool. Sure hope there is a 4x4 to 2x2 river transition piece in there somewhere...essential to connect with existing lava rivers.
Agreed. MUST work with KS2 lava.
It's an upgrade to the lava. It obviously doesn't look the same as KS2 lava. That's like saying parts on my 2018 Ford need to work with my Model T.

I expect the walls and floors to work with KS2 lava pieces, and I agree that they should, but I think you're setting yourself up for disappointment on the lava compatibility front. Stefan was NEVER happy with how the KS2 lava turned out and said so multiple times. I'm pretty sure that sentiment is shared with the rest of the team, hence the focus on new lava rivers here.

Again, it sure seems the whole point of this kickstarter isn't new sculpts for walls or floors. The centerpiece is the new lava rivers.
102 Resin and 217 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Return to “Dwarven Forge News”