Twitch Launch

See the individual Kickstarter Forums for updates on our Kickstarters. This Forum is for general news about our products.
kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Twitch Launch

Post by kitenerd » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:40 am

do you mean this guy?
hammy.jpg
hammy.jpg (32.62 KiB) Viewed 413 times
tripping is a 2-Minute minor
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:47 am

Saxon1974 wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:11 pm
dice4hire wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:36 pm
It is next to the Gazebo.
Gazebo's can be dangerous!!! You could trip and pull a hammy.
Not sure Hammy would appreciate this. Then again he might ;)
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

Saxon1974
Orc
Orc

Post by Saxon1974 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:11 pm

dice4hire wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:36 pm
Gazebo's can be dangerous!!! You could trip and pull a hammy.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:13 am

MBCE wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:43 am

But the most important usage of the twitch stream would be during the Kickstarter to introduce the new pieces or design changes as soon as possible.

Ooh yeah this this this +83 to this.

One thing that is often asked in a Kickstarter, after 'Can I add to my pledge in the PM?' is "what else can I build?".

This is highly modular, prove it!

So Twitch streams where a KS encounter is used for impromptu build sessions to show off its modularity would be very cool. We would also like to see encounters combined but not necessarily the whole KS - we would not expect to see a session where you have all of DoD or Caverns Deep as that could be a day’s worth of video.

Though honestly you could just have all the new KS on a big table with a camera 24/7 and let anyone, DooFer or Staffer, just build :)

MBCE
Orc
Orc

Post by MBCE » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:43 am

Somehow, I managed to catch a bit of the streams during that first week. I caught the opening stream, the PAX build 1&2, and a little of Hamster's paint stream. I saw a little of Stefan's game but that was a video replay.

Overall, I'm happy with the content. For a Q&A segment, I don't need the head honcho all the time. Letting some of the others fill in that space if they were willing, would be nice. Just decide how much of what "beans" can be shared. Maybe even information on past ideas that were dropped could be interesting.

But the most important usage of the twitch stream would be during the Kickstarter to introduce the new pieces or design changes as soon as possible.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:36 pm

A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Saxon1974
Orc
Orc

Post by Saxon1974 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:05 pm

What's a Twitch? I didnt find it in my monster manuals.

GriffinMace
Goblin
Goblin

Post by GriffinMace » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:44 am

kitenerd wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:14 am
I am not complaining, but i do wonder about trying to do too many things and spreading themselves too thin
I just wanted to address this real quick, because it was a concern we had too. In fact, it's why it took us as long as it did to start streaming despite a lot of customers (and some of the employees) wanting it. We spent over a month figuring out how to produce stream content that would be low impact, but high value. For example, making content out of things that we had to be doing anyway, like the PAX East build. That building time also became time to get to know our community, had some new potential customers stumble across us, helped us showcase what you can do with some of the old and new pieces, and let us answer questions and concerns.

A few of us came in an hour or so early today to set up the shots, but to us that was a very minor cost compared to everything we got out of it. We also brought in Chris (he helped with the Hellscape video content and the streaming experiment we did) to take on the brunt of the setup and troubleshooting, so that the staff in office don't have to put much, if any, of their time into our Twitch content. At most, we're asking for a couple hours a week from the staff who are available and interested.

We absolutely hear your concerns, and Nate only approved this expansion once he felt confident it wouldn't interfere with the team's work. For a while we've been trying to figure out how to improve our communication, messaging, and outreach, and after the first week of streams (which we also made the most intensive to test how much the strain affected us) we're pleased with how much this has been helping already.
Rabbit Burner wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:03 am
We would like to see a weekly Q&A where questions can be submitted beforehand via Social Media as well as live, for these very issues. Because their written updates are monthly at best and sometimes you just want to know the issue is acknowledged.

Also want to see more on the fly builds around a theme either DF want to make such as the PAX or a build suggested by DooFers. Or build techniques, covering how DF saw sculpts being used and the thoughts behind their creation and DooFer examples of using sculpts more laterally.
A fair amount of our streams have been sort of impromptu Q&As, although we've discussed having monthly check-in streams specifically for that sort of thing. Ultimately it'll come down to the time Nate has, but if we're doing a build stream or painting stream or the like, the odds are we're down for answering any questions we have an answer for.

We actually have quite a bit planned in the vein of your second request; we want to try building a variety of things: Critical Role rebuilds, random freebuilds, even some requests to remake locations from movies or video games to see how we can pull it off with dwarvenite! One of the primary purposes of this channel is also to show how our creative process works every step of the way, so we're happy that's the kind of content you want.

Whether the Twitch personally excites you or not, thank you for letting us know your thoughts. We want to do this right, so your feedback is extremely valuable.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:03 am

kitenerd wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:14 am
Rabbit Burner wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:51 am
As a forum we have somewhat asked for this.

More communication, more advertising, we all know that us die hard DooFers are not going to be enough to keep DF going in the years to come.
Producing a video project requires a LOT more people and time than sending out an update. DF is awesome... the problem is they cannot simply do something, they have to do it ridiculously nice. Sometimes that is complete overkill. I love Nate's beautiful build videos, and deadly encounters, but when we ask for more communication, that is not what i have in mind. One of the most helpful videos in the history of DF was Nate's KS2 video (i think it was KS2) where he simply aligned pieces up and showed how they worked together. Camera on a tripod, static lighting, cars going by outside noticeable in the audio - that didn't matter because the video was filled with AHA moments and made me change what i intended to order

How about a simple update explaining why we all don't have tote bags and dice? - Just a ten line "keep your pants on, we know, they are coming" - No smoke effects, no atmospheric lighting, no props, costumes or sound effects.

When we ask them to throw us a bone, they have a pig roast! I am not complaining, but i do wonder about trying to do too many things and spreading themselves too thin
Can’t please all the people all the time ;)

In the first Twitch stream Nate did ask what do DooFers want to know?
Mace asked on the forum what did we want to see.

We should ask if you have contacted Chuck at customer support as it seems an issue for him and his team as some of us have our Tote, Dice and Map.

Nate is a video producer he is always going to want a high production value as a matter of professional pride for anything pre-recorded. Some of the behind the scenes shots of the video rig they have was eye opening. For Twitch we don’t think the production needs to be quite as polished given that most of it is live.

For us the Twitch channel is a step in the right direction.

We would like to see a weekly Q&A where questions can be submitted beforehand via Social Media as well as live, for these very issues. Because their written updates are monthly at best and sometimes you just want to know the issue is acknowledged.

Also want to see more on the fly builds around a theme either DF want to make such as the PAX or a build suggested by DooFers. Or build techniques, covering how DF saw sculpts being used and the thoughts behind their creation and DooFer examples of using sculpts more laterally.

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:14 am

Rabbit Burner wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:51 am
As a forum we have somewhat asked for this.

More communication, more advertising, we all know that us die hard DooFers are not going to be enough to keep DF going in the years to come.
Producing a video project requires a LOT more people and time than sending out an update. DF is awesome... the problem is they cannot simply do something, they have to do it ridiculously nice. Sometimes that is complete overkill. I love Nate's beautiful build videos, and deadly encounters, but when we ask for more communication, that is not what i have in mind. One of the most helpful videos in the history of DF was Nate's KS2 video (i think it was KS2) where he simply aligned pieces up and showed how they worked together. Camera on a tripod, static lighting, cars going by outside noticeable in the audio - that didn't matter because the video was filled with AHA moments and made me change what i intended to order

How about a simple update explaining why we all don't have tote bags and dice? - Just a ten line "keep your pants on, we know, they are coming" - No smoke effects, no atmospheric lighting, no props, costumes or sound effects.

When we ask them to throw us a bone, they have a pig roast! I am not complaining, but i do wonder about trying to do too many things and spreading themselves too thin
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

Return to “Dwarven Forge News”