International fees

See the individual Kickstarter Forums for updates on our Kickstarters. This Forum is for general news about our products.
Thod
Minotaur
Minotaur

International fees

Post by Thod » Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:53 am

Blackhawk

You are absolutely right - the shipping costs go both way. What makes DF worth compared to most items is the heavy design. Yes - we love it - yes this is the reason we buy it. But the DF boxes are a pain for shipping.

Here are a few rough guides of how much you pay shipping for the UK:

One box DF for $120 - $120+ for shipping plus customs (more than double)

Three boxes DF for $400 -> $250+ shipping plus customs depending on weight for boxes

I can check exact numbers.

For the UK you pay a flat rate of £13.50 ($27) for custom handling plus 17.5% VAT - which also gets added on the postage (this is the real postage - this doesn't include a cut from the distributor). Therefore to get below 50/60% surcharge you only manage if you buy a lot. With a lot I mean orders > $500 at least.

Off course - the lighter the items - the better. On the other hand - sales at DF REALLY suck. I checked the Cavernous Passage Set. I think postage/custom for this was $75 to me AFTER adding it to my current order of three cavernous chasm sets.

This is one of the very heavy sets. But you really feel ripped off paying 100+% surcharge. Yes - I should have bought it rather at regular price. The feel good factor for me would have been better to pay only 65% surcharge. Poor me to buy it on sale (yep - I got the last).

This really left you with a double blow - as you know hardly any of your own money goes to DF itself - the only ones really deserving it.

Thod

Blackhawk1
Orc
Orc

International fees

Post by Blackhawk1 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:15 am

I did not make it real clear but shipping from Europe is also extremely expensive from the US end also. We- meaning the consumer- are at the mercy really of the few international carriers. If I have the choice I *usually* pick DHL as they seem to be the cheapest for shipping (even then its usually costs about 20% of my total order on average). However, DHL customer service has been absolutely atrocious if items arrived damaged. UPS and FedEx are just astronomical but seem to be better in the customer service department whenever I have had a problem.

Like others I don't really know what the solution will be. Try and find cheaper but risk more angst if items arrive damaged?

I have a question- does Europe have any comparable service to FedEx/UPS/DHL? I've never heard of one so am unsure.

lupus
Orc
Orc

International fees

Post by lupus » Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:51 am

Blackhawk........the thing I've been whining about is not the currency exchange rate, which is what you seem to be annooyed about. I think all o/s customers of DF pretty much accept the fact that they have to purchase DF products in US currency and factor that into the equation. And, after all that money does go back to the manufacturer.

What most international customers are complaining about is the steep cost of shipping of said DF products worldwide. It is pretty much the cost of shipping that we are complaining about. The currency exchange rate is something we all just factor in for purchasing stuff from overseas. And as mentioned earlier, its money going back to the company. THe high shipping rates is what hurts, with the cost of shipping ammounting to almost as much as one boxed set if you order small. And even if you make large orders, shipping still comes to 50% of the total purchased.

What hurts even more is that when you look at the cost of shipping on the box labels and compare what you have sent, there is often a very high mark up. I know the last lot of stuff I ordered, I was paying something in the realm of $ 200 in shipping, and the actual postage on the item came to probably half to three quarters of that, indicating a black hole where the fulfilment center is pocketing the difference. I'll post more on this when the next pre-order comes in to show the difference.

Blackhawk1
Orc
Orc

International fees

Post by Blackhawk1 » Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:56 pm

I would like to point out that this works both ways- I order a LOT of miniatures and terrain from England as the US does not make the items I am interested in. SPecifically I order items from Old Crow and GZG. A long time ago GZG had a US distributor (GeoHex) but Kieran was forced from his business by his new wife.

Between the plunging dollar and overseas shipping costs these mini's usually cost me between 40-50% more then if I lived in Europe. I've asked GZG and OC if they ever plan on a US distributor and was told no- their operation and profit margins are too small to really find a decent distributor. So I continue to pay $50+ for a 20 GBP Hammers Slammers blower, etc before shipping is added in.

The one thing we dont have in the US- thank god- is incoming VAT charges so I feel everyones pain on that front.

jkratzer
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

International fees

Post by jkratzer » Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:50 pm

crioux;

It sux, and I won't argue that one little bit. We gotta find a better way for overseas customers (which includes Canada/Mexico/Latin America). Even FedEx GROUND should be cheaper than that!

Jeff, there's your mission for 2008; forget new sets, disregard custom electronics, abandon a new improved Web page; those are assigned to Stefan, Doug, and whoever ELSE you can draft! YOU concentrate on finding a lower-cost method of shipping out of the Continental US for foreign customers!

P-L-E-A-S-E????????????

Happy New Years, guys.

Jim

crioux
Orc
Orc

International fees

Post by crioux » Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:12 am

Just as an example, if I try to order Medial Building expansion set:

Subtotal:
$79.00
Shipping:
$63.75

TOTAL:
$142.75

And this doesn't count toll fees, and money exchange rate (even if nowadays Canadian dollar and US dollar are the same, they charge us for it)

jkratzer
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

International fees

Post by jkratzer » Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:21 am

Kaladhan -

VFW - Veterans of Foreign Wars - y'know, all us old farts down here in the U.S. who are actually proud to have been crazy enough to stand between war's desolation and home.
As in "I'd never do it again, but I'd never give up the experience."
Or, "I don't know if I'd have picked those crazy guys as friends on my own, but I was willing to die for them in combat - and they would have done the same for me. And some did."

Y'know, "Been there. Done that. Got the scars. And the medals. What's next?"

Now, are you ready for the crazy part? I never would have had to go - when I went in the service, we had the draft lottery here in the US. My draft lottery number was 321 - I would have been drafted the day AFTER some idiot nuked DC! I volunteered. I volunteered AGAIN for Vietnam - TWICE! (remember, my sig line says INSANE!) The secondtime, the Air Farce believed me, and shipped me over there. Volunteered for 'special ops', too - which REALLY shows a lack of good sense.

Now, like I said, there ain't NO WAY I'd ever do any of those things again - except enlist in the USAF. But there is no way I'd ever give up any of those experiences - NONE of them! They are what make me what I am, and I am proud to be a Vietnam Veteran, a LOUD VFW Life Member, and an Insane D&D DM.

If it sounded like I was preaching in there, I DO apologize; that was NOT my intention. But occasionally, accidentally (which I'm sure that's what happened), my button gets pushed, and I sound off. No blood, no foul, as a line goes from the Mechwarrior universe.

Have a good one, and since this is Christmas Eve,

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

Kaladhan
Goblin
Goblin

International fees

Post by Kaladhan » Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:35 am

Jim, as said, I'm not expecting a quick resolution to this. If it's ever resolved, it won't be before the christmas special offers' end. Perhaps "resolve" is not the word I should be using. Anyway, I'm only hoping that DF will look at the situation and see what can be done to make it better for everyone (and especially them). You're offering good unofficial reasons why things are the way they are. Most probably, they will stay like that, but perhaps things have changed. It may be worth it for them to look at it every year or every other year.

By the way, what does VFM lifer stands for (I understand the lifer part, it's the VFM I don't get)?

Thod
Minotaur
Minotaur

International fees

Post by Thod » Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:04 pm

Jim

USPS has stopped (at least according to their webpage) the shipping via sea. Air is the only remaining option - and the savings then are hardly worth the hassle.

Thod

jkratzer
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

International fees

Post by jkratzer » Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:16 pm

Kaladhan;

I did it for Thod; sent it to him on a "slow" boat, cost him less than half the Global Express shipping (which DF doesn't see either!), PLUS cost him less on the VAT that the UK charges on SHIPPING as well as merchandise! So, if you have a well-trusted friend here in the US that will do it for you, it could easily save you MUCH MONEY - and it's not as if you're costing DF OR their Fulfillment Center any cash, because all they do is pass their cost on from the single-source shipper.
AFAIK, the only reason they ship the way they do is because it's cheaper FOR THEM to do it that way - and I can't fault them for that - it SAVES THEM MONEY - which they turn around and put into more DF products!
I'll bet no one here has a problem with that!

Jim

Return to “Dwarven Forge News”