Hi-Res Realm of the Ancient Photos

See the individual Kickstarter Forums for updates on our Kickstarters. This Forum is for general news about our products.
jkratzer
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jkratzer » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:50 am

To quote Rick Nelson's song, "Garden Party"

'yknow ya, can't please ev'ryone so ya, gotta please yourself."

Stefan, I would risk saying that you have pleased 99%-plus of your target audience with RotA. Don't beat yourself up over 1% - and I'd bet that the 1% who aren't turning handsprings in the aisles will find themselves buying at least ONE set anyway, just to see what they can do to customize it to their liking!

Only those gamers who DON'T DO a genre that would USE this type of scenery will absolutely walk away from it; anyone else who can afford the buck-and-a-quarter a set WILL buy as many sets as they can afford, or will need for the setups they envision (whichever comes first!).

But then, hasn't that ALWAYS been the case with Dwarven Forge? Stefan, Jeff, you two guys are like a nerd before his first date; "What if she doesn't like me? What do I do then? OMG, what if she DOES like me - THEN what do I do?" Relax, guys; has she ever NOT liked you? You both went to the prom, you both got married; sheesh already! It's gonna be a sellout winner again; it'll just take a little bit longer because of the darned economy being slower this time. We'll still buy them all.

Zaltar of Valoria
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Zaltar of Valoria » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:25 am

I really like the color scheme, though I admit I preferred the original design. If I could object to anything, it's that the new version has the floor mosaic darker than the space beneath the tiles, whereas the original had it lighter. That means instead of a relatively simple repaint, adding color to tiles where I want, I'd have to do something more radical to get the original look if I want it. It also means that the "official" stuff won't really work with the customs... I may have to come up with a compromise to get the general effect of the original design but in a way that doesn't stand out glaringly when placed alongside the official stuff....

On the whole, though, I really, really adore ROTA. Cannot WAIT to get my hands on it...

L

Yes, it's been changed. The new color with the light "sand" in the cracks looked more realistic side by side with the other scheme, so I changed it...however, If you want to darken it, all you have to do is apply a dark wash (very washy) I would recommend a dirt brownish wash (if that's what you like) someone here had mentioned using colored pencils or markers to create designs...I have not tried it (I have no pieces here in Venice) but I will suggest that whatever you try, it is best to create your patterns, even in bright not so subtle colors, so long as, afterwards you apply a wash, either light or dark, that will then nicely unify the patterns you create and make it look aged as well, depending on the strength of the pigment in your wash. The floor patterns are quiet raised so that helps quite a bit in the painting part. Also, If you are not happy with something you try, it was easy for me to go ahead and just apply a solid wash (a little stronger color) and start over.

When I get back from Italy I will post lots of pictures of mosiac floors to give everyone inspiration and ideas, and as I mentioned before, we shall do a contest at some point as well. I think this is going to be one of the funnest sets for those of you out there who are on the more creative side...

Also, I think the pictures Jeff posted look a little barren...once you populate your Sets with stuff they will look even better...

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:07 pm

I really like the color scheme, though I admit I preferred the original design. If I could object to anything, it's that the new version has the floor mosaic darker than the space beneath the tiles, whereas the original had it lighter. That means instead of a relatively simple repaint, adding color to tiles where I want, I'd have to do something more radical to get the original look if I want it. It also means that the "official" stuff won't really work with the customs... I may have to come up with a compromise to get the general effect of the original design but in a way that doesn't stand out glaringly when placed alongside the official stuff....

On the whole, though, I really, really adore ROTA. Cannot WAIT to get my hands on it...

L

Thenorthman
Orc
Orc

Post by Thenorthman » Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:18 pm

I concur I am liking the two tone piece. It does seem now that it is more versatile and adaptable for more scenario's with out the COOL mosaic paint jobs.

Don't get me wrong I am going to do my best to get at least 6 sets if not nine (then sell the other three sets on ebay) just to get the painted mosaic sets. But this is just me and everyone should rightfully have their own opinion.

Sean

admin
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by admin » Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:18 pm

It was very sad to see the highly detailed mosaic floors prove too expensive. The cost of the set would have been over $300!

Also, now that I have seen the set in real life -- I think the floors look more "ancient" and "dungeony" -- and more adaptable to various uses.

Kradlo
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Kradlo » Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:59 am

Phillip, I'll politely disagree with you on the color scheme. The whitewashed look on the upper walls looks quite appropriate for the theme of RotA. As for not painting the mosaic floor, I'd personally like it painted in the patterns that were previewed, but Stefan and Jeff pointed out the rising labor costs. As it is, I'm going to have to sell some of my guns to raise money for this set.

Say, anyone in the market for a Beretta BM-59?

:D
Make Mine Master Maze!

philip
Orc
Orc

Post by philip » Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:15 am

I really don't like the paint scheme. The two tone walls are awful and why on earth in choosing not to paint the mosiac floor (HUGE MISTAKE BTW) would you not make it the same color as the corridor floor? I am considering not purchasing this set because I will have to completely repaint it before it is useable to me. Take away the bad paint job and otherwise I think the skulpting is awesome.

jkratzer
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jkratzer » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:09 pm

OUCH!!

I have GOT to find $400 in my budget SOMEwhere!!! And I must do it MONDAY!!
To quote Dr. Sam Beckett, "Oh, Boy."

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Harneloot » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:52 pm

Good gosh - can I resist ordering 6? Can I possibly be satisfied with only getting ONE of those beautiful colored mosaic rooms???

And thanks again to pf (and everyone else) who made and constantly update the TileSystem program - it makes building with DF SOOOOOOOO much easier!!!

pfworks
Ogre
Ogre

Post by pfworks » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:03 pm

Oh thank heavens for regularly sized pieces! You don't know how much less work it is to make the tiles!

They look great. I'll order at least 3.