Please Post Your Medieval Building Set Thoughts Here

See the individual Kickstarter Forums for updates on our Kickstarters. This Forum is for general news about our products.
jkratzer
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jkratzer » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:32 am

Jeff -

Four, fourteen, a month;
Hey, when it's THIS GOOD, it's worth the wait!
Within reason, and 14 days IS!

See ya!

Jim

Wereweasel
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Wereweasel » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:24 am

I had a hunch this was what the new environment might be.

I was wrong.

This set is far better than anything I could have possibly imagined!

The design, style, versatility and composition of this set are all (IMHO), perfect!

I'll be getting 5 sets of these, for sure.

Very nicely done! Even by DF standards.

admin
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by admin » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:54 pm

Sorry for the late ship date. The plan was to release the set 10 days later, but we needed to do it now. The fulfillment center is just swamped with Cavernous Lake pre-orders AND all the Gen Con stuff they have to do for us and other game companies.

Thanks for your patience. Originally, it was supposed to be a four day wait...not 14.

Norin

Post by Norin » Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:22 pm

I have ordered three and I am anxiously awaiting their arrival! I have to say that I think that this is the set that will get a lot of people who have not previously purchased DF to do so!

Hopefully we will see this set do extremely well so we can get additional components for the MBS, here are some suggestions

Fireplace
Bar & Bar Stools
Table with Chairs (not the picic benchs that are already out)
Stairs

My only complaint is the ship date, I don't know if I can wait that long! must have MBS soon!

philip
Orc
Orc

Post by philip » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:59 am

I really like the new set! I am ordering three!

Several people have mentioned not having passages and I have to agree 100%. In fact I have not purchased any den of evil for that reason. If den of evil was a room set vs room and passages I would buy 3 or more. There are way too many passages in the den of evil set with no supporting room set.

TralikNorwood
Kobold
Kobold

Post by TralikNorwood » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:26 am

Well I picked up 3 sets and I'm so happy. I know that when I run games we are in buildings all the time and I hate drawing them out because I dont feel my group really can picture what I have in my mind. I wish the ship date was sooner as I go back to college on the 20th but not much I can do about that. I really like how the walls were done. As a history major I love how this set looks very close to the way walls were made in germany durring the late middle ages. As I tend to do more historical based campains this should work out great. I would like to see some ways of making round buildings because I do use alot of towers but that can wait. My group has no idea this set is on its way to my door and when they see it I'm sure they are going to flip out! THANKS DF! You guys rock.

~Norwood

labmouse42

Post by labmouse42 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:50 am

These look really cool.
I run a lot of city campaigns, and it's going to be awesome to have all the taverns not look the same as the dungeons.

Now all we need are some woodland sets. Dont get me wrong, Its nice using flat dungeon pieces with pieces of broccli as trees, but my players keep eating all my scenery!

jkratzer
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jkratzer » Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:22 am

Hi guys!

L is howling in joy at no passages, and I have to agree 100%; passages belong in dungeons and caverns, if ANYWHERE. They can be of SOME use in starship designs (that L-O-O-N-N-N-G tunnel between the engineering section and the Warp Drive Reactor, that kind of stuff), but that's about it.
Now, on the other hand, 4" and 6" WALLS are extremely useful, as are curved corners in anything EXCEPT buildings; buildings and structures didn't have round corners to any great extent beyond simple grass huts until the late 19th - early 20th century; not found in Medieval Buildings. So it's good that they're not found in Medieval Building Sets. Right on, Stefan.
But those longer walls would be VERY USEFUL; they would allow more stability in our structures, especially once we start doing multi-level buildings. Otherwise, we'll have to go buy the HA beam molds and cast our own in plaster (fragile) or resin ('spensive, messy, and really KILLS HA molds). While I don't have a problem in doing that, some guys will - and that will adversely affect MBS sales.
And MBS is a line that definitely can GROW!!
Stefan, you hit the target on this one; I mean, you REALLY NAILED IT!!
Jeff, you were a genius in encouraging Stefan to do this line!!
Mari & Lori, we ALL thank you for letting the boys stay late at the shops, playing with the designs - yes, I know, it's most of 1K miles between The Apple and Carbondale, but the spirit was there! Thanks again, ladies!

Someone mentioned that they would prefer solid-beam-tops on the wall units instead of stucco & post-tops on the edge; me, I can deal with it either way. If it starts bugging me that bad, I'll paint the damn edges, or make 'n' mount beams from HA molds. But then, as you guys know from cringing every time I start talking, I'M not afraid of modifying DF pieces!! (hack, slash, saw, chop-chop!)

Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks; that's why they make Fords and Chevys.

Seriously, guys; you bagged a winner with this one. Now, if I can just get the shopping cart to accept my coupon, I'm ordering two now, more later!

See ya!

Jim

philhendry
Orc
Orc

Post by philhendry » Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:38 am

I've been making myself sick looking at the MBS, and wishing I could afford it. :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Some comments:

The step idea is a good one - but is really, really, REALLY easy to do - you just need a strip of styrene (try Evergreen) or foamcore, or wood, or...

Cut to size, texture if you want, prime dark grey, and dry-brush with tan and light tan paints. Finito!

I think that 'expanding in the great 'above-ground' is a fantastic development for DF's 10th anniversary set - it makes a statement of intent I feel.

I don't want corridors in this stuff - timber buildings with plastered wattle infill tend to have fairly thin interior walls/partitions (one of my cousins lives in a farmhouse built this way). Corridors, if you need them, should be made by butting wall pieces up against the back of other wall pieces - the pictures of the big set-ups at the bottom of the MBS page show the idea.

Oh, if only I could afford this set (or any set!) - it would be perfect for all the WFRP city adventures we've been playing recently - really atmospheric.

Phil

David Wasilewski
Orc
Orc

Post by David Wasilewski » Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:19 am

I am really happy with this new set. It finally takes DF into the great 'outdoors' - this will make using DF in environments other than the dungeon crawl section of adventures possible now!

I will be buying 3 sets (but probably next month as have already ordered 3 C River and 3 C Lake sets) and am waiting for my bank balance to recover.

Dave

Return to “Dwarven Forge News”