Please Post Your Medieval Building Set Thoughts Here

See the individual Kickstarter Forums for updates on our Kickstarters. This Forum is for general news about our products.
Kradlo
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Kradlo » Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:25 am

I think it's dandy. I love city adventures, and this is perfect for setting up some terrific tavern scenes. I like the wooden floor. It's a clever way to include the 1" squares while maintaining the wood look. Very handy.

I love the secret door behind the bookcase. Visions of "Young Frankenstein" come to mind.

"Put... the candle... back!"

I'll be picking up a trio at GenCon. This is indeed the Year Dwarven Forge Took All My Money!
Make Mine Master Maze!

Green_knight
Orc
Orc

Post by Green_knight » Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:15 am

I don't wanted to be the black sheep, but i'm a bit disappointed with the set.

Not the set as such, it has uses and is nice to have.
It's cause it is the 10th anniversary mystery set. And about such i set i
thought of things like a cave addition: "Cavernous Dwarvenforge"
or a "Wizards Lab" or "Cavernous Dwarven mines",
just something that stands out for years in future set ups
and is easily recognized as the "anniversary set".
Now it is a set that will mix in with others and that is was a "special set"
will be forgotten far too easy.

Now we simply have a new genre. Thats good, but i won't need this much,
think i wil get one just to have. The Rivers and Lake sets have excited me
far more than this one.

Right now i'm looking forward for DoE WE.

Dante
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Dante » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:44 pm

That's why I suggesed hardboard of some sort to "sandwich" between floors. The roof could be done cheaply (and nicely) with foamcoare because as Ghengis said, it requires minimal support underneath it. You prop up couple of flat sections with some triangle shapes (gables? I can't remember my architectural terms after all those years of classical art and fine arts training!) that would hold the flats of the roof up nicely.

You can get foamcore in different thicknesses too so you wouldn't have to have a super-thick roof.

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:24 pm

Foamcore would be too thick for what I want to do -- namely, I don't want to have to paint it! Cardboard I could just ignore -- I'd still need to SUPPORT it, but there'd be something there to keep pieces from falling off the small surface area provided by the columns. It wouldn't support the weight on its own, though, that's true.

Anyhoo, in another vein, I realized something else we need for the Medieval Additions set -- a step for the door! If we want to make whole buildings, the door is going to be a bit off the ground too much on the outside (where there's no floor piece, ahem) If you look at the hi-res pics, you can see the door off the ground in a few of them. So a nice step to put outside the layout, to provide a smoother transition to "outside", would be really great.

L

Ghenghis Ska
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Ghenghis Ska » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:04 pm

Foamcore works very well with minimal support under it.

could work to get multiple levels, Cardstock is a little to flimsy, i tired just card stock recently and was not that happy with the results.

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:43 pm

Let's say you find a great configuration that you really, really like. You get some hardboard and cut it out to fit (to sit actually) on top of the walls. That gives you your support mechanism sandwiched between the "first floor" and the "second floor." Then you setup your second floor sitting on top of the first.

That's exactly what I was thinking! This set just CRIES OUT to be used to make whole buildings instead of "floorplans" -- I want to make at least one full-on inn, with a tavern on the first floor, complete with kitchen and storage, and then rooms to rent upstairs. I'm gonna cut out some cardstock of some kind to support the upper level, with a few columns on floor 1 for reinforcements.

For some reason, I'm not crying out for a roof, but I do have some old Plastrux plasticard in roof shingle design, so I could put something together pretty easily...

L

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:21 pm

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!! for keeping the square-marked floors!

The alternating planks design allows us to continue counting movement on squares, instead of trying to resort to rulers to measure movement within the walls of a small room. Lack of such markings on the floor have kept me from buying other companies' pre-made buildings that were acceptable in every other way.

So big thumbs-up on the floor design!
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

Dante
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Dante » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:46 pm

blairgb, et al--I've been thinking of roofs for this set since I first laid eyes on it this morning. I came up with an idea that while not very portable, may work...

Let's say you find a great configuration that you really, really like. You get some hardboard and cut it out to fit (to sit actually) on top of the walls. That gives you your support mechanism sandwiched between the "first floor" and the "second floor." Then you setup your second floor sitting on top of the first.

Making the roof could be done with foamcore (or project board or whatever that new stuff is that's putting foamcore out to pasture) triangles and mitred "roofs". You could use the old GW technique of cutting out long rectangular strips of cereal boxes and then cut them into the shape of clapboard or slate tiles. A little bit of glue and some drybrushing and you've got a roof for your Inn/Tavern/Weapons Shop/etc.

blairgb
Orc
Orc

Post by blairgb » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:28 pm

My thoughts:

First impression: Look very "stripey"..I dunno how I feel about the top edges...I kinda wish theywere all beam.

That aside...they look wonderful! Although I am in the hole for my shared order of CRW & CL with Dudebird...I will definately be ordering several sets of this amazing series!

I'm already planning on how I'm going to construct lift off roofs.

And BTW....I was right all along....awesome!

Dromedarius
Kobold
Kobold

Post by Dromedarius » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:22 pm

Wow, this set looks fantastic!

I'll definitely pick up a set or two to use as English cottages in my Cthulhu and Space 1889 games.

Craig.