A Question about the New Website in the works.

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: A Question about the New Website in the works.

Post by kitenerd » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:11 pm

AnimeSensei wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:32 pm
In honor of you, Kitenerd, I flew a kite with my son tonight.

jbiAI3_4SN6ALJgmzWFGhw.jpg
and i didn't even see this until a week later - looks like a cool kite! sugar skull?

i need to get out and do some flying - i did a kitemaking thing with brownies and flew a little after that... but i need some serious air time, by myself with head phones on and lost in the sky - fishing for sanity as i like to say - always good for your whole life to look up for an hour or two - we spend far too much time with our eyes cast downward
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

GardenDM
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GardenDM » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:34 pm

Rabbit Burner wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:35 pm
<snip>
Also as much as we dont like it (pun not intended) if you have a like button you should have an dislike. Its interesting that you dont have to justify liking something but you do whan not liking it.

So this is more of a philosophical discussion and we suspect very few are reading this now, we just find the psychology of something as simple as like button can be quite fascinating.

We are a very positive hive mind but feel the 'dislikers' should be able to have just as easier time as the 'likers', even if we dont like it (pun intended, but should not distract from the point....ah who are we kidding no one is going to read all this)
While I wouldn't hold Reddit up as the ideal online community, they do seem to get along ok with an "upvote" and a "downvote" button. Maybe something here would help with bringing the best posts to the top. They also have a means to gift virtual currency as a way of rewarding really excellent posts. Perhaps DF could implement something similar with virtual Valorian coins. I believe Reddit uses this to help fund their hosting costs (buy virtual coins with cash, gift to other users, but no way to cash out), so for DF they could keep it simple and give everyone a certain number of coins each year their account has been active. Oh, actually, I think a small amount of virtual coins each month in which you have at least one post would be cool since that would encourage people to check in from time to time.

Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Vegomatic » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:13 pm

Rabbit Burner wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:35 pm
Also as much as we dont like it (pun not intended) if you have a like button you should have an dislike. Its interesting that you dont have to justify liking something but you do whan not liking it.

So this is more of a philosophical discussion and we suspect very few are reading this now, we just find the psychology of something as simple as like button can be quite fascinating.

We are a very positive hive mind but feel the 'dislikers' should be able to have just as easier time as the 'likers', even if we dont like it (pun intended, but should not distract from the point....ah who are we kidding no one is going to read all this)
Like!

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:35 pm

This is the only forum we frequent - aren't you lot lucky?

no?

yeah probably not.

But back to the thread topic :o

Likes can be a great way for the casual member to show their appreciation or agreement which is generally a good thing.

Sometimes we like something but it feels frivolus to just type 'like' especially given how much room it takes on the page.

Yeah its pretty stupid but its how we feel at times. We like to at least comment when we post but sometimes its just 'Cool build we like that a lot'.

But counter to that, is if there was a like button how would we bump our post count?

hmmmmm

Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:32 pm

In honor of you, Kitenerd, I flew a kite with my son tonight.

jbiAI3_4SN6ALJgmzWFGhw.jpg
jbiAI3_4SN6ALJgmzWFGhw.jpg (39.71 KiB) Viewed 1293 times
102 Resin and 217 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:19 pm

AnimeSensei wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:47 pm
kitenerd wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:06 am
kodiakbear wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:00 am

Oh go fly a kite. ;)

Now I have an image of a huge kite that looks like a slaad.
Now i am sitting here wondering how hard it would be to frame... probably a variant on a Houterman's Totem with a cascading Edo bridle... it could be done!
A what now? You're putting a bridle on a totem? My INT probably isn't high enough to understand Kitenese.
not that you really wanted to know...

A Houterman's Totem is the generic name for any long skinny noodle kite with a central spine and lots of spreaders

A bridle is the strings that stay attached to the kite - to which you attach the flying line

A cascading bridle is one made with many loops - these loops "self adjust" to change the attack angle of the kite to the wind - done properly a cascade bridle is VERY goof proof

Years ago i made a kite win a workshop with Robert Trepanier from Canada. We layed down on tyvek and traced each other - then cut ourselves out and framed it so it would fly - a very cool example of a non symetrical kite.

Here is just two of Robert's brilliant kites:
15345044ec0b39a91d11e324e3720504.jpg
15345044ec0b39a91d11e324e3720504.jpg (26.26 KiB) Viewed 1299 times
He is a super nice guy and a GREAT festival invite - he will fly all day long - the dogs are steerable (quad line) and he will sneak up behind kids and adults alike - never ceases to thrill an audience

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:47 pm

kitenerd wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:06 am
kodiakbear wrote:
kitenerd wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:39 am
I use likes as a way to measure my self worth

"How come Zach's build got 43 likes and i only got 14??? Everyone hates me. I suck"
Oh go fly a kite. ;)

Now i am sitting here wondering how hard it would be to frame... probably a variant on a Houterman's Totem with a cascading Edo bridle... it could be done!
A what now? You're putting a bridle on a totem? My INT probably isn't high enough to understand Kitenese.
102 Resin and 217 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:06 am

kodiakbear wrote:
kitenerd wrote:

"How come Zach's build got 43 likes and i only got 14??? Everyone hates me. I suck"
Oh go fly a kite. ;)

kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kodiakbear » Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:00 am

kitenerd wrote:

Oh go fly a kite. ;)

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:39 am

Return to “Ask Dwarven Forge”