A Question about the New Website in the works.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: A Question about the New Website in the works.

Post by AnimeSensei » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:58 am

If you look at the Reaper forums, they do it well. There is still plenty of discussion in the show off area but it's usually relevant/constructive instead of a one or two word statement. I really like that aspect of their boards.
102 Resin and 212 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:37 pm

Blue Prophet wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:19 pm
dice4hire wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:56 pm
I am really really against likes. Like-itis is the scourge of the web where people can think they are contributing or making a difference with next to no actual work. I know some of my posts to nice pics are one word or one liners, but putting up a post is better IMO.
*Like*

:P
At least you had to type and do two mouse clicks to type that.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Blue Prophet
Orc
Orc

Post by Blue Prophet » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:19 pm

dice4hire wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:56 pm
I am really really against likes. Like-itis is the scourge of the web where people can think they are contributing or making a difference with next to no actual work. I know some of my posts to nice pics are one word or one liners, but putting up a post is better IMO.
*Like*

:P

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:56 pm

A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:23 am

kodiakbear wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:42 pm

-There is no way to upvote/like a post, when the very nature of the Cool Photos section definitely could be enhanced by it.
If a person is not willing to post words why give them a voice. Yes, I think forums are for words, not pink hearts, blue diamonds or green clovers.
Yes but it is tedious to check a thread that has a new post only to see "this is cool" - i try not to post unless i have something to say like "you used this piece in a way i hadn't thought of"

Likes (as much as i hate them) - do give a way for the casual visitor to jump to the most impressive or relevant threads/images
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:50 am

I agree with AnimeSensei with the items that need attention.

I would also like to be able to break out a list of any postings with attachments (pictures, links, documents,...) when searching a members list of all their posts. Right now, when specifically looking at one forum members posts, I think it's just a general list of posts in order by date. Would love to just look at, say Law's posts only with pictures.

About the name change, I was just thinking were in a new age with a giant group of new RP/War Gamers and thought a funner name related to dwarves or forges. I get the Forum tie and it's well known to most of us, just thought something quirky could be fun.

The picture size thing is annoying at times. The detail is lost on a 680x680 max picture. Do you think twice the picture size as it is now, would be big enough to show a bit more detail and not use too much hard memory? That is about 4 times the existing size and could add up quickly. Hmmm?

Thanks for the comments and ideas, always open to new ideas. ;)
:?: Let's see if DF will give us a bit of info on this. :P ;)
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

koraldon
Goblin
Goblin

Post by koraldon » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:26 am

I like the forums very much
Most of the issues are related to configuration of the board (image size, default post ordering, anti-bot measures)
You can easily add tags as well more image features to phpbb via extensions.

kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kodiakbear » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:42 pm

-If you aren't logged in, post appear in reverse order
This is a great feature it shows me to sign in.

-If you upload images to a post, and then try to preview the post or edit it later, your images are deleted
While I have not had this happen I do know it happens to others so yes it needs fixing.

-Image size restrictions are impeding people showing off the product DF is selling to the point that many posters just store the images outside of DF's website, leaving storage of those images out of DF's control, especially if they want to have a clause saying they can use images posted to the forums for promotional usage.
Bigger image sizes are needed but they need to keep Image size restrictions of some size or I expect they will have to pay for it.

-We have a bot problem
Yes

-There is no way to upvote/like a post, when the very nature of the Cool Photos section definitely could be enhanced by it.
If a person is not willing to post words why give them a voice. Yes, I think forums are for words, not pink hearts, blue diamonds or green clovers.

-Searching for pictures on the forums could be done better with tags, so its easier to find certain builds/ideas.
I get what you are saying but if they can not have less than twenty tags it is a waste of time.

IMO

RisingSeraph
Goblin
Goblin

Post by RisingSeraph » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:33 pm

AnimeSensei wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:14 pm
The forums need work.

Though I realize they make money from the webstore to keep everything running, the forums should be a second or third priority on the list.

-If you aren't logged in, post appear in reverse order
-If you upload images to a post, and then try to preview the post or edit it later, your images are deleted
-Image size restrictions are impeding people showing off the product DF is selling to the point that many posters just store the images outside of DF's website, leaving storage of those images out of DF's control, especially if they want to have a clause saying they can use images posted to the forums for promotional usage.
-We have a bot problem
-Searching for pictures on the forums could be done better with tags, so its easier to find certain builds/ideas.

So while they don't necessarily make money from the forums, they can be utilized in a marketing perspective better. The way they are now, people aren't even really trying to post builds here, but instead default to Facebook. While FB will definitely steal a lot of posts due to its accessibility, DF has more control on their own platform.

I just feel there's enough potential here to utilize it better.
I would +1 this. I very much appreciate the forums as a whole, especially the community here, but considering their format itself, everything you've mentioned makes them frustrating and well-outdated.

Also, being able to search by tags might encourage people to buy a certain set. For example, say they wanted photos of a set or specific pieces from a set to know more about it, but couldn't find photos of it being used in an actual game - may end up leading to a lost sale.

unclebilly
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by unclebilly » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:27 pm

AnimeSensei wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:14 pm
The forums need work.

-We have a bot problem

Return to “Ask Dwarven Forge”