Re: Any ETA on the June restock?

Post by Talistran » Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:16 pm

Tyrant wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:57 pm
Talistran wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:55 pm
AnimeSensei wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:45 pm

I'm not Tyrant, but I just want to say this could be a personal question that others have no business knowing. Yes, it would be financially prudent to plan, but are one's finances anyone else's business? :(

And to be fair, the resin water restock came out of nowhere initially. No one had time to plan for it, especially right around KS6.66, Pathfinder, and a normally planned restock.
Sure, it could be a personal question. And if he answers by stating that he doesn't feel comfortable talking about his finances, I will totally understand.

However, it could also be a rhetorical question which does not require an answer because if one disposable income at some times, but not at others, then there is nothing that would prevent one from saving the money until it is available again... except for one choosing to prioritize another purchase. I was curious which it was :)

P.S. He stated he was wanting to buy KS 2 Water Caverns, not resin/
Don't worry, It's not too personal and I don't mind answering. There's a few reasons. The major ones are priorities and lack of funds. Right now I'm not in an active D&D game so it isn't a top priority compared to some of my other hobbies that I am more actively involved with. So it isn't at the top of the priority list. Also, starting in the fall of last year I went back to school to try to get a decent degree in the hopes of getting a better (and hopefully much better paying) job. As such I haven't been working as many hours and have less money overall. Coupled with the first reason, this means I usually don't have it on-hand when some of these things pop up. The third main reason is that I don't know when they will restock (sometimes). With my other hobbies, with conventions, and with Kickstarters (including DF), I usually have months of warning and (quite importantly) a target date. That makes it easier for me to justify hanging on to my limited "fun money" if I have a date and a goal in mind. Otherwise, other interesting things come up and I buy them instead. And then with DF in particular, I prefer to buy a few things when I make a purchase due to the way their shipping is calculated. If it's going to cost me the same to ship one set as it is 4, then I would rather buy a few so I'm not paying that shipping cost over and over for buying each item individually. So there's been a couple of times where they were in stock and there wasn't really much else in stock that I wanted at that moment. Lastly, I only realized that there was a restock list with a tentative timetable relatively recently. I usually just browse the forums and check the store pages. I don't go to the main site very often.

So it's a few things that all kind of come together to make it difficult for me personally to set aside the money. There's no one reason. Hopefully the "go back to school and get a better degree" plan solves the base problem (low amounts of money) to help alleviate the other problems and then I can either more easily set money aside or I will be more likely to just have the money on-hand right at that moment.

Having said all of that, I can see the wisdom in your suggestion. I have at various times had large sums of money set aside for future expenses. This has typically been after getting a tax refund, a holiday where I got cash, or when I sold some stuff online. I have tried to keep part of it for that reason but things have a way of coming up when I have more money than usual. A car repair here, a dynamite deal that I can't pass up there, an awesome sounding Kickstarter over that way. And then the money disappears bit by bit while I notice the set I am after is out of stock. It's entirely on me and my situation, not DF (well, aside from not being able to keep things in stock sometimes).
A couple of things.

First, thanks for your rationale. I was just curious.

Second, kudos to you for going back to "school" and furthering your skills/education. My first career was in the military, where I had a good sense of purpose and poor pay. My second career was in business where I was REALLY good at running businesses, but lacked a sense of purpose. My third career (Clinical psychologist and NSF researcher focused on trauma) required a HUGE shift in education (ended up doing two bachelors, two masters, and a PhD). I can't tell you the number of times in college in my 30s and 40s that I looked around and admired the other "older folks" who were bettering themselves. It takes a leap of faith at times to stop working (or stop working as much) and dedicate time to getting a better education. It is hard and does not come with an immediate reward. Best of luck! If you ever need advice, hit me up via PM. I currently teach at the University and help students all the time.

Third, I totally feel you on the "savings dwindle" thing. Too many cool things pop up and siphon money from the "KS2 Water Resin Fund" or whatever the thing is that we are saving towards. :)

Tyrant
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Tyrant » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:57 pm

Talistran wrote:
AnimeSensei wrote:
Talistran wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:14 pm

I am curious what prevents you from putting money aside towards 2 sets of KS II Water Caverns during non-virtually-broke times?
I'm not Tyrant, but I just want to say this could be a personal question that others have no business knowing. Yes, it would be financially prudent to plan, but are one's finances anyone else's business? :(

And to be fair, the resin water restock came out of nowhere initially. No one had time to plan for it, especially right around KS6.66, Pathfinder, and a normally planned restock.
Sure, it could be a personal question. And if he answers by stating that he doesn't feel comfortable talking about his finances, I will totally understand.

However, it could also be a rhetorical question which does not require an answer because if one disposable income at some times, but not at others, then there is nothing that would prevent one from saving the money until it is available again... except for one choosing to prioritize another purchase. I was curious which it was :)

Don't worry, It's not too personal and I don't mind answering. There's a few reasons. The major ones are priorities and lack of funds. Right now I'm not in an active D&D game so it isn't a top priority compared to some of my other hobbies that I am more actively involved with. So it isn't at the top of the priority list. Also, starting in the fall of last year I went back to school to try to get a decent degree in the hopes of getting a better (and hopefully much better paying) job. As such I haven't been working as many hours and have less money overall. Coupled with the first reason, this means I usually don't have it on-hand when some of these things pop up. The third main reason is that I don't know when they will restock (sometimes). With my other hobbies, with conventions, and with Kickstarters (including DF), I usually have months of warning and (quite importantly) a target date. That makes it easier for me to justify hanging on to my limited "fun money" if I have a date and a goal in mind. Otherwise, other interesting things come up and I buy them instead. And then with DF in particular, I prefer to buy a few things when I make a purchase due to the way their shipping is calculated. If it's going to cost me the same to ship one set as it is 4, then I would rather buy a few so I'm not paying that shipping cost over and over for buying each item individually. So there's been a couple of times where they were in stock and there wasn't really much else in stock that I wanted at that moment. Lastly, I only realized that there was a restock list with a tentative timetable relatively recently. I usually just browse the forums and check the store pages. I don't go to the main site very often.

So it's a few things that all kind of come together to make it difficult for me personally to set aside the money. There's no one reason. Hopefully the "go back to school and get a better degree" plan solves the base problem (low amounts of money) to help alleviate the other problems and then I can either more easily set money aside or I will be more likely to just have the money on-hand right at that moment.

Having said all of that, I can see the wisdom in your suggestion. I have at various times had large sums of money set aside for future expenses. This has typically been after getting a tax refund, a holiday where I got cash, or when I sold some stuff online. I have tried to keep part of it for that reason but things have a way of coming up when I have more money than usual. A car repair here, a dynamite deal that I can't pass up there, an awesome sounding Kickstarter over that way. And then the money disappears bit by bit while I notice the set I am after is out of stock. It's entirely on me and my situation, not DF (well, aside from not being able to keep things in stock sometimes).

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:27 pm

Talistran wrote:
Looks like I need to read more good! ;) You're right!
102 Resin and 232 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Talistran
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Talistran » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:55 pm

AnimeSensei wrote:
Talistran wrote:
Tyrant wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:54 pm

Hopefully it includes the KS II Water Cavern set and hopefully I can get 1 or 2 this time and it won't hit while I am virtually broke.
I am curious what prevents you from putting money aside towards 2 sets of KS II Water Caverns during non-virtually-broke times?

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:45 pm

Talistran wrote:
Tyrant wrote:
nielsene wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:08 pm
Now I'm just curious to know what the next non-initial CD restock will be :)
Hopefully it includes the KS II Water Cavern set and hopefully I can get 1 or 2 this time and it won't hit while I am virtually broke.

102 Resin and 232 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Talistran
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Talistran » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:14 pm

Tyrant wrote:
nielsene wrote:

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:33 pm

I ordered some stairs :D
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

scott102303
Orc
Orc

Post by scott102303 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:58 pm

A little mini-restock today. I got a couple Catacombs II I've been watching for.

Tyrant
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Tyrant » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:54 pm

nielsene wrote:

Saxon1974
Orc
Orc

Post by Saxon1974 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:31 pm

kitenerd wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:14 am
Saxon1974 wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:42 pm
unclebilly wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:13 pm
So many of these set ended up on ebay that it is a shame for any collector that did not get what they wanted here.
Yea oh well what can you do. I should have bought a woodland set at retail. Not paying over 250$ on eBay.
be patient - i got an original set - complete in the baggies for less than $175 including shipping - that was less than 1yr ago
Yea I am in no rush, and not the end of the world if I never get it.

Return to “Ask Dwarven Forge”