Next Resin Restock?

lostpict
Ogre
Ogre

Re: Next Resin Restock?

Post by lostpict » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:25 am

I get not investing in more releaseses of older Resin sets that have functional Dwarvenite equalivents, but Sci-Fi is so unique abd is still available, but is missing the Alpha, Beta, abd Gamma bits that most GMs need to build spaceships or stations.

With the success of the unpainted dwarvenite bits. I wonder if DF would consider a small unpainted run on the specialty SF sets. Could be cast in the US and distributed from the US with DF providing painting guidance using commercially available paints (like Vallejo) as a cheaper alternative. Another idea, would be a release via spaceways instead of casting. Hmmmm?
Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Harneloot » Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:51 pm

Someone can correct me if I am remembering this wrongly, but the sci-fi line has historically been a slow seller for DF and the Gamma set (last new set produced I think) sold most slowly of all. Even for more quickly selling resin sets (quick being relative, and Catacombs being a distinctive aberration in speed of selling) there is the *minimum number of sets produced* of any type issue and the *must fill the shipping container* issue. Not sure even pre-orders can make enough of a dent to those issues to make it a real money maker for DF, especially given storage costs. I think it is more of a keeping the collectors happy type thing right now, though I admittedly know less than most on these kinds of business issues.

Maybe a Kickstarter type pre-order/pre-sale, kinda like MBA did?

Teulisch
Orc
Orc

Post by Teulisch » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:08 pm

there are a lot of old sets that have not been available in quite some time. while dwarvinite fills some of the gaps, it cant cover all of them. the biggest lack recently has been cavern lakes and rivers, although the cavern lake expansion had a brief restock not too long ago.

i would love to see more sci-fi sets restocked as well. all those things that went out of stock before i was able to get any for my collection, and have not been remade in dwarvenite.
25 resin sets, 5 KS1 sets, 5 KS2 sets, KS3 Village/Sewer/Streets

lostpict
Ogre
Ogre

Post by lostpict » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:20 pm

I would like to see more of the very popular, rare resin sets stocked also. Bring back the scifi alpha, beta, and gamma, resin water bits, etc.
Regards,

lostpict
Ogre
Ogre

Post by lostpict » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:18 pm

I would like to see more of the very popular, rare resin sets stocked also. Bring back the scifi alpha, beta, and gamma, resin water bits, etc.
Regards,

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:49 pm

Blue Prophet wrote:I recall reading that it is only the more recently produced resin water tiles that have had separation/delamination issues, so I'm not sure if that factors in a restock proposition.
No the case; I've had some delamination issues with some older ones. However, yes, the new batch did have a lot more problems. Just wanted to chime in just in case someone picked up an older set thinking it couldn't have those issues because they can.
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Vegomatic
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Vegomatic » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:50 pm

Some of them are selling.
I see 10 sets that have sold for 300 or more in the last two months...
It looks like there are two sellers.

BaitSauce
Goblin
Goblin

Post by BaitSauce » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:16 pm

I don't think those open water tiles on ebay are selling since that guy keeps putting it back up. I got lucky with 2 of the sets and no defects, that i can see, so not sure if its a matter of time or if I'm in the clear. I'd love to get some of the old water based cavern sets, been searching a bunch of sites looking for some. I may have found a few in germany and ordered them, but they sent me a message that they might not have everything I ordered, and will contact me soon. So hoping some of the other stuff in my order is what they are out, if so I might have gotten 3 of the Cavernous River and Walls Sets.

Blue Prophet
Orc
Orc

Post by Blue Prophet » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:21 pm

A Lake Set just sold on Ebay for $525. That means two people were willing to pay close to that to get it that high. I'd love to get at least some of the resin Caverns and water based sets (only have Dwarvenite cavern tiles so far). But this and the fact that 10 open water resin tiles goes for like $350 on Ebay is a sign that demand is way higher than supply. I recall reading that it is only the more recently produced resin water tiles that have had separation/delamination issues, so I'm not sure if that factors in a restock proposition.

I formally ask to see a restock of any or all of the various Caverns, Lake, and River Sets.

Hopefully quality control can be maintained though.

Mydienon
Orc
Orc

Post by Mydienon » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:35 pm

Great points, Runeweaver!

I agree Dwarvenite doesn't look the same as the classic resin sets, but I would argue they're still compatible. The styles are obviously different in both color and architecture, but the height and thickness of the floors and walls, and the dimensions of the pieces, are pretty much the same.

Yes, I have some resin pieces (and some dwarvenite too) that are slightly crooked or miscut, so don't fit together perfectly. And a lot of my resin sets are the older style with the connectors. But overall, I can use them together and they fit fine (I have a bunch of half-connectors to fill in gaps). I prefer to use only one type in a section of the dungeon, so the stylistic transition isn't so jarring, but that's the same as mixing resin Catacombs, Den of Evil, and Dungeons...they fit together, but they look better when kept to distinct sections.

So I'd say dwarvenite and resin Dwarven Forge are compatible, but I agree with you they're very different styles.

My point about the price was to address the "sold out" status of so many of the resin sets. They sell out quickly (and yes, I know there are some in stock now). When they're sold out, the prices on the secondary market tend to skyrocket. The easy answer is to increase supply, so they don't sell out. I'd definitely prefer that over increasing prices! And if it were possible to reduce the prices of the resin sets and increase the supply, so even more people could get them, I'd be in favor of that, too!

But if Dwarven Forge is unable to increase the supply for some reason, then another option is to increase prices to reduce demand. It would make the resin sets less attractive for resale , it would allow Dwarven Forge to take a higher profit for the sales they make, and it would probably not have a significant impact on sales of the dwarvenite product line (except maybe to drive more customers to choose it instead of resin). Dwarven Forge could also then consider having a sale to reduce prices on certain items that don't sell as quickly, and control supply more closely.

Currently, there are a lot of sets that are only available on the secondary market for exorbitant prices. That could actually benefit Dwarven Forge, to a degree, since buyers know they can sell their stuff a decade from now and likely do better than breaking even. It also encourages people to buy when things are available, instead of waiting.

Anyway, it was just a thought. I bought more Dwarven Forge this year than in all prior years combined, so it's been in my mind. If the prices had been higher, I still would've bought some sets (just not as many). But I admit that might not hold true for everyone.