Post by ObLaDi » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:51 pm

Thank you! I'll keep you posted.

madrigalian
Orc
Orc

Re: Please help with our research on posts with broken image icons

Post by madrigalian » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:40 pm

Hi OblaDi,

My post from 2014, "Lair of the Lizard King!" has not been fixed yet and is still missing the images. I haven't fixed them as I don't have the pics stored anywhere else really. Anyway, in the interest of providing you an example of an unfixed page...

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2072

Hope this helps my friend!
My DF Galleries -
3dDelve - https://ello.co/3ddelve
Imgur - Thanks zazulu! - http://imgur.com/a/ppUeP/layout/horizontal#0

ObLaDi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ObLaDi » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:18 pm

Thanks, William. You've been a great help and I appreciate the time.

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:33 pm

Sorry, I have fixed all of my posts. If you could contact Feymous to fix this post and thread, there would be much rejoycing across Valoria.

http://dwarvenforge.com/forum/viewtopic ... 129#p66129

from this thread -

http://dwarvenforge.com/forum/viewtopic ... 129#p78738

Edit; Gotta run for now, I'll check back tonight. ;)
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

ObLaDi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ObLaDi » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:21 pm

Thanks, William, it is a little clearer. I appreciate the link to the thread. I had to hunt for your post, but I found it.

Part of reason this has been so hard to diagnose is now clearer to me because I don't see what you see - I see the images in the post, and then a list of attachments where the images show as well. I don't see a list of broken images. The server is as remote to me as it is to you, so it's not because the images are referenced on my hard drive or anything like that.
forWilliam.jpg
forWilliam.jpg (173.61 KiB) Viewed 3673 times
Now I have something more to go on. It doesn't surprise me that we see different versions of the situation - there's so much at play here. That's the difficulty in figuring it out quickly. Thanks for your help and thanks for your patience -- and I know you put a lot of work into resubmitting all your old images.

A second question now....are there specific posts that you HAVE NOT fixed that have missing images? It would be helpful to see one of those posts. Please, if you can, give me the link to the post and not just to the thread.

Thanks again.

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:13 pm

I guess I don't know what you are asking.

If you go into the thread there are my fixed (resized and re-uploaded) pictures, then below are a bunch of empty picture boxes with file names below. These are the same pictures, but the old versions on my hard drive were to big to just reload. You will see the names correspond with fixed pictures.
Example below of what I see, I added the green text and arrows.
Example page.jpg
Example page.jpg (82.91 KiB) Viewed 3686 times
Does this help?

ObLaDi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ObLaDi » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:46 am

Hi, William, are there missing images or are there just broken image icons? Thanks for the intput!

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:27 am

Here is a thread I fixed that still has the broken tags also. There is a lot there, so it should be enough to check things. :)

http://dwarvenforge.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5996

ObLaDi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Please help with our research on posts with broken image icons

Post by ObLaDi » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:15 am

Hi, folks, as long promised, I am looking into the reports of images from the old Forum that are not showing up since the migration that look place early this year.

I have found a bunch of posts displaying broken image tags, but I have checked these against the old installation, and found, much to my surprise, that there are incomplete image tags on these same posts on the old Forum. I can't explain why that is. It looks to me like something added an extra incomplete [img] tag to some of these posts on the old Forum.

I also see a bunch of posts with the incomplete [img] tags with images as attachments. The content matches exactly with the old Forum, including the images, which are present on both the old Forum and the current Forum.

The preliminary take away from the research I've done so far is that there seems to be a case of a bunch of posts with spurious incomplete img tags.

The next step in resolving this requires some help from you who know the content intimately. I need some help ID'ing cases of broken images from the originators of the posts themselves. If any of you can point out specific instances of lost images on your own posts, that will help me get to the root of this. Please give me specific links - only two or three are necessary, I believe.

If you see that your posts seem to have all the images, yet there are these broken tags as well, that would be helpful to know, so I can confirm my suspicions.

Thanks, and I appreciate the help!