Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Dwarvenite material safe for kids?

Post by Kryzsko » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:36 am

GODofwar wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:40 pm
kitenerd wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:47 pm
Mydienon - Please don't think i am criticizing your choices with my posts. Not my intent at all. I live in Northern CA, my 4yr old kids don't watch TV or have screens of any kind (the 11yr old is JUST starting...), i buy organic vegetables, wooden toys and we are in the process of shopping for organic VOC free mattresses for the twins (which are ludicrously expensive). We ALL make choices to protect our children, the best we can with the information and resources available to us. I just hope that you spend more time enjoying and less time worrying (i'm sure you do). Our world has so many frightening things that you can quickly become paralyzed if you stop to think about everything. I often think it is healthier to ignore some stuff and blithely enjoy life. Stress is probably at least as harmful as half the other things i worry about.
Just saw this, Kitenerd.

we raised our kids with ZERO tv. We don't even have one TV (a big screen, yes, for movies only). They grew up reading and never watching TV.

They are now 21 and 18, and this was one of, if not the, best decision we ever made.

I went Xmas shopping with a friend who is a father quite a few years ago. I had two pages (one per Offspring) each with 4-5 Xmas requests on it, on of which was something for each of their favorite charities.

He had a single page, typed, single spaced, both sides. From ONE kid. He finally asked me how we coerced/'cajoled our kids to ask for so little. I borrowed his list and put check marks next to 95% of the items.
When I handed it back he looked at me quizzically. "I bet your boy saw every checked item on TV," I said.

I was right.

Hand in there! You will love this decision down the road.

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delenda Sunt, except KS5
We are the same way. We have one TV and we tightly limit what my son can watch and he is only allowed to watch Netflix and Amazon Prime shows that we approve (or movies with us) and even then he averages less than an hour a day. The funny thing is, I grow up with no restrictions on TV watching and I watched a ton of TV and played a lot of video games, and I still did well in school and got a college education. Oh, and commercials had no effect as my parents as they had no problem saying no. I don’t know what is the right or wrong way to raise kids.

For every resource that says one thing there is another that contradicts it.

I am just taking my best stab at it and hoping for the best. If my kid comes back as an adult and says I screwed him up I am just going to say “Oops”.

I think it was in Freakonomics that said barring any extreme abuse or neglect, how kids turn out is mostly determined by their DNA. So I say barring abuse or neglect do what you think is best and take solace that it probably doesn’t matter and if your kid ends up screwed up it was probably your crummy genes that messed them up. ;)

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:40 pm

kitenerd wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:47 pm
Mydienon - Please don't think i am criticizing your choices with my posts. Not my intent at all. I live in Northern CA, my 4yr old kids don't watch TV or have screens of any kind (the 11yr old is JUST starting...), i buy organic vegetables, wooden toys and we are in the process of shopping for organic VOC free mattresses for the twins (which are ludicrously expensive). We ALL make choices to protect our children, the best we can with the information and resources available to us. I just hope that you spend more time enjoying and less time worrying (i'm sure you do). Our world has so many frightening things that you can quickly become paralyzed if you stop to think about everything. I often think it is healthier to ignore some stuff and blithely enjoy life. Stress is probably at least as harmful as half the other things i worry about.
Just saw this, Kitenerd.

we raised our kids with ZERO tv. We don't even have one TV (a big screen, yes, for movies only). They grew up reading and never watching TV.

They are now 21 and 18, and this was one of, if not the, best decision we ever made.

I went Xmas shopping with a friend who is a father quite a few years ago. I had two pages (one per Offspring) each with 4-5 Xmas requests on it, on of which was something for each of their favorite charities.

He had a single page, typed, single spaced, both sides. From ONE kid. He finally asked me how we coerced/'cajoled our kids to ask for so little. I borrowed his list and put check marks next to 95% of the items.
When I handed it back he looked at me quizzically. "I bet your boy saw every checked item on TV," I said.

I was right.

Hand in there! You will love this decision down the road.

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delenda Sunt, except KS5
WeaselWarGod

DFSuzy
Orc
Orc

Post by DFSuzy » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:30 am

Also: keep in mind that many of the parts are very small, so there is always a choking risk for children under 3.

The larger pieces should be safe, of course.

Thanks!

kodiakbear
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by kodiakbear » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:29 pm

natetaylor wrote:The point I meant to make and but didn't actually say is this:

While we can't officially say Dwarvenite is safe for kids (because of the expensive and lengthy testing/approval process we haven't done), I personally believe it is safe enough that I let my own son play with it.
Thank You

Saxon1974
Orc
Orc

Post by Saxon1974 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:50 am

natetaylor wrote:The point I meant to make and but didn't actually say is this:

While we can't officially say Dwarvenite is safe for kids (because of the expensive and lengthy testing/approval process we haven't done), I personally believe it is safe enough that I let my own son play with it.
Thanks Nate, I took that from your post. I just won't let my boys eat any and we should be good.

natetaylor
Ogre
Ogre

Post by natetaylor » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:14 am

The point I meant to make and but didn't actually say is this:

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:06 pm

I just let my kids go free in the back yard (we have a fence) and put out fresh water and leftover food from last night's dinner every day in dishes on a tray. I think they're ok. The snow outside has started to melt at least. Thank goodness, as they're outgrowing the set of clothes I bought for them 2 years ago.

:twisted:
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Mydienon
Orc
Orc

Post by Mydienon » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:58 pm

Harneloot wrote:Exactly - it is a PUBLIC forum. So make your informed choices you are entitled to for the welfare of your children in private but maybe be a bit more circumspect when voicing those choices and the *maybe* reasons for them on a company's public message board. ;)
Wow. I'm sorry, Harneloot. I thought I was communicating politely, respectfully, and tactfully about what could be a sensitive topic. Obviously I struck a nerve with you, and for that, I apologize.

I have no definitive knowledge of any health or toxicity issues related to Dwarvenite, or of any adverse affects on children related to Dwarven Forge products.

You can quote me on that if I ever answer a related question in a manner that isn't circumspect enough for you. It has the additional advantage that it's a lot shorter than most of my posts. ;-)

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Harneloot » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:13 pm

Mydienon wrote:This being a public forum, a lot of us are coming from different backgrounds, experiences, and belief systems. I don't want anyone to assume I object to your choices, and I definitely do not think my choices are right for everyone. My choices aren't even always right for me and my family -- I've changed my mind on some things already about how to raise my children, and I'm sure I'll continue to revise what I choose to do.
Exactly - it is a PUBLIC forum. So make your informed choices you are entitled to for the welfare of your children in private but maybe be a bit more circumspect when voicing those choices and the *maybe* reasons for them on a company's public message board. ;)

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:42 pm

On a good day, I'm both.
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch