Dwarvenite material safe for kids?

LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Dwarvenite material safe for kids?

Post by LordDust » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:01 pm

jackattack wrote:
Mydienon wrote:But all of the choices I'm making are designed around what I hope will be best for my children.
How DARE you?!
Mydienon wrote:This being a public forum, a lot of us are coming from different backgrounds, experiences, and belief systems. I don't want anyone to assume I object to your choices, and I definitely do not think my choices are right for everyone. My choices aren't even always right for me and my family -- I've changed my mind on some things already about how to raise my children, and I'm sure I'll continue to revise what I choose to do.
It's because of people like you that children grow up to be well adjusted "individuals"... you sicken me.
Ah, jackattack, you seldom fail to prove entertaining and/or informative!

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:49 pm

Mydienon wrote:But all of the choices I'm making are designed around what I hope will be best for my children.
How DARE you?!
Mydienon wrote:This being a public forum, a lot of us are coming from different backgrounds, experiences, and belief systems. I don't want anyone to assume I object to your choices, and I definitely do not think my choices are right for everyone. My choices aren't even always right for me and my family -- I've changed my mind on some things already about how to raise my children, and I'm sure I'll continue to revise what I choose to do.
It's because of people like you that children grow up to be well adjusted "individuals"... you sicken me.
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:34 pm

kitenerd wrote:I have a stack of Thank You notes...in bold print it says:

WARNING: Game Tiles are not toys, and the small pieces can pose a choking hazard. They should not be handled by children under the age of 3.

for CBS "Game Tiles" was changed to "Dwarven Forge sets"

I think this is standard CYA boiler plate stuff. My experience with kids toys is the 3yr old thing is ALWAYS a choking hazard issue and has little relationship to whether a toy is or is not developmentally appropriate. I do agree that they would be subject to a much higher bar as far as product testing (i'd be much more worried about the paint than the PVC) if they marketed these things to kids.
.... Look at what dude from TableTop Props went through with his first KS and set of products so that he could get them into stores... it's pretty strict once you want to market anything to kids.
If you aren't gaming then you aren't living.

Saxon1974
Orc
Orc

Post by Saxon1974 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:27 pm

kitenerd wrote:I have a stack of Thank You notes...in bold print it says:

WARNING: Game Tiles are not toys, and the small pieces can pose a choking hazard. They should not be handled by children under the age of 3.

I think this is standard CYA boiler plate stuff. My experience with kids toys is the 3yr old thing is ALWAYS a choking hazard issue and has little relationship to whether a toy is or is not developmentally appropriate. I do agree that they would be subject to a much higher bar as far as product testing (i'd be much more worried about the paint than the PVC) if they marketed these things to kids.
Yea obviously that's intended to protect themselves from stupid lawsuits like a 2 year kid choking on a piece because a parent wasn't parenting. I didn't really let my boys play with them until they were about 3 and even them in a limited fashion without small pieces. (That's mostly for the safety of the pieces though:))

I doubt they will reveal their secret formula, but maybe just something like "other than standard PVC, we used a few non toxic binding agents, and unless your not going to be burning them in a fire pit the standard pieces we deliver are no more toxic than a standard PVC pipe"

Saxon1974
Orc
Orc

Post by Saxon1974 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:20 pm

natetaylor wrote:At home, my son has been playing with Dwarvenite since age two. It makes a great bath toy. My wife washed everything with soap and water before giving it to him.

When my KS3 stuff arrived, she skipped the washing phase and let him play with it out of the box.

He's now three and half and hasn't developed any mutant powers yet (sadly).

If I survived decades of playing with lead minis from a young age, I think he'll survive playing with Dwarvenite from an even younger age.
Yea Nate, but how do we know your not a mutant?

Seriously though, I don't think any of us were trying to panic or make a big deal out of this but when you have multiple small children its good to at least know what they are playing with. (Being that PVC use has been a bit controversial, at least in the past). My boys don't really put it in their mouths but I never even thought about making them wash their hands after using it, so this discussion got me curious. I'm not an over protective kook either, lol.

I realize its probably a secret formula in your lab deep underground that you don't want to reveal.

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:16 pm

I have a stack of Thank You notes...in bold print it says:

"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:08 pm

Of course my children would LOVE the big bright plastic noise making toy - it is ME that hates them! - My cousin got them a talking sing along piano... i sent that bad boy back before they ever saw it! Replaced it with a xylophone and a drum, they still make a ton of noise, but it is their noise and bothers me much less!

And i sympathize with setting parameters for how you want your children to grow up and then having to argue with family over those parameters... Could you just support my ideas of how to parent my child (misguided and ill informed as they may be...)? The pendulum sways... There was a time when medical professionals thought formula was better for babies than breast milk ?!?

Then there are the people who look at you as if you are from another planet when you tell them your child doesn't watch television... It is wearying to try to defend and justify your choices (and i live in one of the most liberal parts of the country...)
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

Mydienon
Orc
Orc

Post by Mydienon » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:55 pm

kitenerd wrote:Mydienon - Please don't think i am criticizing your choices with my posts. Not my intent at all.
Should've explained that last bit of my post -- I don't think anyone is criticizing, but I did want to eliminate any concerns that I might have some agenda to incite unreasonable fear over Dwarven Forge products. I think this stuff is the best modular gaming terrain available anywhere, and I would've loved the chance to play with it as a child!

I'm also coming from a background where I've experienced a lot of anger over my choices as a parent. I have family members who are adamantly against some of my choices, and feel like the choices I make are a reflection of how I view their choices as parents. If I restrict something from my children, they feel like I'm saying I disagree with their choice not to restrict it. Likewise, if I allow something they've restricted, they feel like I'm saying they were wrong to restrict it.

Honestly, what I choose has very little to do with what I think other people should choose. I'm trying to be a little cautious, and introduce certain things to my children in a way I feel is best. But that really depends on my children, and environment, and culture, and comfort level as a parent -- and none of those are universal truths. I figure, once I allow something, it'll be harder for me to disallow it later, so I might as well be a little more strict upfront. But all of the choices I'm making are designed around what I hope will be best for my children.

This being a public forum, a lot of us are coming from different backgrounds, experiences, and belief systems. I don't want anyone to assume I object to your choices, and I definitely do not think my choices are right for everyone. My choices aren't even always right for me and my family -- I've changed my mind on some things already about how to raise my children, and I'm sure I'll continue to revise what I choose to do.

And kitenerd -- yes, I've got one of those organic VOC free mattresses too. You know, if you don't buy it, you can afford a lot more KSIV Dwarvenite... ;-)

...I've also got a big plastic electronic noise-making toy my child loves, and a cat, and children with runny noses and coughs who come to visit, so no, I'm not too worried about my children being over-protected or insufficiently exposed to germs. :-)

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:18 pm

I swear I remember that little flyer that comes in every kickstarter box saying they are not toys. But that may be to avoid having to do toy testing and certification.

My 5 year old has been playing with DF for 3 years. I feel they're safe if the kid is old enough to play with them safely.
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

natetaylor
Ogre
Ogre

Post by natetaylor » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:08 pm

At home, my son has been playing with Dwarvenite since age two. It makes a great bath toy. My wife washed everything with soap and water before giving it to him.

When my KS3 stuff arrived, she skipped the washing phase and let him play with it out of the box.

He's now three and half and hasn't developed any mutant powers yet (sadly).

If I survived decades of playing with lead minis from a young age, I think he'll survive playing with Dwarvenite from an even younger age.