Dwarvenite material safe for kids?

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Dwarvenite material safe for kids?

Post by kitenerd » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:47 pm

Mydienon - Please don't think i am criticizing your choices with my posts. Not my intent at all. I live in Northern CA, my 4yr old kids don't watch TV or have screens of any kind (the 11yr old is JUST starting...), i buy organic vegetables, wooden toys and we are in the process of shopping for organic VOC free mattresses for the twins (which are ludicrously expensive). We ALL make choices to protect our children, the best we can with the information and resources available to us. I just hope that you spend more time enjoying and less time worrying (i'm sure you do). Our world has so many frightening things that you can quickly become paralyzed if you stop to think about everything. I often think it is healthier to ignore some stuff and blithely enjoy life. Stress is probably at least as harmful as half the other things i worry about.
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:37 pm

Mydienon wrote:
jackattack wrote:An illustration of both points. I have a full-size "deluxe" Scrabble board with wooden tiles. Every time I handle the tiles, my fingertips itch and burn, which is partially relieved by vigorous washing in very hot water. Almost certainly a contact allergy or chemical sensitivity on my part, but triggered by something on/in the wood. Now I play Scrabble on my iPad.
Wood allergies are fairly common, and certain types of wood can cause pretty severe reactions in some people (sometimes just being in the same room as a type of wood). And, yes, there are plenty of things used on wood that can cause reactions too.

As a paranoid parent who won't let my future 3 year old play with Dwarvenite, yes, I will of course be careful to select wooden blocks that are tested/certified, and that any chemicals used on them are safe to touch, inhale, or ingest. I might as well aim for blocks with a standard size in multiples of 1" to allow them to mix seamlessly with Dwarvenite...

------

I know that my choices about what I consider safe or healthy can annoy people (I don't really understand why, but I've found it's a very sensitive topic). If you disagree, please just assume I'm acting ridiculous and paranoid, and that I'm wasting money on stuff that isn't definitively proven to be any safer or healthier than anything else out there. And of course my children get exposed to plenty of stuff no matter what I do (including PVC, and yes it is in my home's water pipes), so it's probably not even worth trying.

I'm not condemning anyone else for their choices, or fear-mongering about Dwarvenite. I love the stuff and the fact that it's virtually indestructible -- which is great for clumsy children (and adults) -- is part of the reason I've bought so much of it. There are plenty of things that are far more unsafe and unhealthy than playing build-with-Dwarvenite with children.

I would just prefer to wait a bit before introducing it to my children, until I feel comfortable with the idea. But I think it's great that others are having fun playing with their children using Dwarvenite, and I'm a little envious. In the meantime, I'll satisfy my desire to build stuff with my children by using children's blocks.

Unless, of course, Dwarven Forge comes back saying it's all perfectly safe, or gets the certification saying it's all safe, in which case I'll definitely re-evaluate my decision.
I wouldn't ever begrudge you your responsibility as your kids' parent to do what you think is best. I think the fact that you want to know by asking questions and educating yourself is the best and most responsible course of action. Making an informed decision is the best anyone who cares about critical thinking can hope for in the people we interact with and care about.

Feel the love, brother; feel the love. :-D
If you aren't gaming then you aren't living.

Mydienon
Orc
Orc

Post by Mydienon » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:50 am

jackattack wrote:An illustration of both points. I have a full-size "deluxe" Scrabble board with wooden tiles. Every time I handle the tiles, my fingertips itch and burn, which is partially relieved by vigorous washing in very hot water. Almost certainly a contact allergy or chemical sensitivity on my part, but triggered by something on/in the wood. Now I play Scrabble on my iPad.
Wood allergies are fairly common, and certain types of wood can cause pretty severe reactions in some people (sometimes just being in the same room as a type of wood). And, yes, there are plenty of things used on wood that can cause reactions too.

As a paranoid parent who won't let my future 3 year old play with Dwarvenite, yes, I will of course be careful to select wooden blocks that are tested/certified, and that any chemicals used on them are safe to touch, inhale, or ingest. I might as well aim for blocks with a standard size in multiples of 1" to allow them to mix seamlessly with Dwarvenite...

------

I know that my choices about what I consider safe or healthy can annoy people (I don't really understand why, but I've found it's a very sensitive topic). If you disagree, please just assume I'm acting ridiculous and paranoid, and that I'm wasting money on stuff that isn't definitively proven to be any safer or healthier than anything else out there. And of course my children get exposed to plenty of stuff no matter what I do (including PVC, and yes it is in my home's water pipes), so it's probably not even worth trying.

I'm not condemning anyone else for their choices, or fear-mongering about Dwarvenite. I love the stuff and the fact that it's virtually indestructible -- which is great for clumsy children (and adults) -- is part of the reason I've bought so much of it. There are plenty of things that are far more unsafe and unhealthy than playing build-with-Dwarvenite with children.

I would just prefer to wait a bit before introducing it to my children, until I feel comfortable with the idea. But I think it's great that others are having fun playing with their children using Dwarvenite, and I'm a little envious. In the meantime, I'll satisfy my desire to build stuff with my children by using children's blocks.

Unless, of course, Dwarven Forge comes back saying it's all perfectly safe, or gets the certification saying it's all safe, in which case I'll definitely re-evaluate my decision.

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:05 am

Indeed! Thanks for catching that. I went back and fixed it.
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Harneloot » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:01 am

jackattack wrote:PVC pipes are hard and unyielding, while DungeonStone PVC is tough and rubbery, so they aren't equivalent. Since DungeonStone PVC has been compared to mallet head material, maybe we could look up whether mallet heads are safe for children to chew on?
You mean Dwarvenite not DungeonStone, yes?

My feelings run similar to Kodiakbear's on this question.

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:58 am

Okay, just read the other thread that started this one.

Hand washing. Some things we handle can leave a residue on ou hands, whether it's tiny powdery particles that "erode" with handling or imperceptible chemical traces. That residue can absorb into the skin, or be ingested if food is handled and eaten, or if fingers are put in mouths. Hand washing tends to remove a large portion of that residue.

Please don't assume that a toy is safe just because it is made of wood. Lumber can be treated with a variety of chemicals meant to make it unpalatable to insects (including arsenic) and chemicals used to color or seal wood can also be pretty nasty. Always look for that child-safe certification.

An illustration of both points. I have a full-size "deluxe" Scrabble board with wooden tiles. Every time I handle the tiles, my fingertips itch and burn, which is partially relieved by vigorous washing in very hot water. Almost certainly a contact allergy or chemical sensitivity on my part, but triggered by something on/in the wood. Now I play Scrabble on my iPad.
Last edited by jackattack on Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:34 am

PVC pipes are hard and unyielding, while Dwarvenite PVC is tough and rubbery, so they aren't equivalent. Since Dwarvenite PVC has been compared to mallet head material, maybe we could look up whether mallet heads are safe for children to chew on?

Don't know about the paint. I will point out that it comes from China, and we've seen a few of their products turn out less benign than expected.

As for resin, I think a child who chewed on it would hurt his teeth before he was in any danger from chemical content, or from sharp edges if he broke a resin tile and swallowed the pieces. I will point out that the resin sets have been out for a very long time, and I don't think I've ever heard of a child being hurt by them in any way.
Last edited by jackattack on Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kodiakbear » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:34 am

This simple question is not really simple.

Lets look at another product of the modern world.

Red food color (red #40) is a petroleum based product that is considered safe by the food industry and the government. It must have been tested and tested and tested to be in food, right?

Are your red, orange, purple skittles safe? What about you red licorice, candy canes, doritos or popsicles?

People eat red #40 and have no issues right? or do they, are we all slowly killing our selves on bright happy food?

My daughter can not eat red #40 or she has breathing issues, what I do not know is it bad just for her or bad for all of us and she just shows it more.

It is possible that DF could spend the huge amount of money to have it certified as safe for children of all ages and answer that question with legally binding certainty. But would it really be any more safe than those skittles.

DF is making this product to be played with by adults and it has no warning labels.

As much as I want DF to say it is safe for kids to play with they may not be able to say that even if they would let their kids play with it IMO.

geekjeff
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by geekjeff » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:35 am

Some clarity would be great, if they can offer any. Not all PVC is created equal.

To keep things in perspective - if your home was constructed in the last 20-30 years, every drop of water you drink from at least your cold water taps passes through some kind of PVC pipe.

Further perspective - Reaper's Bones minis are also a variety of PVC. Reaper wanted to bring Bones manufacturing to their home facility here in Texas, a bit north of Dallas but were unable to do so because gasses released in the production process ran afoul of local air quality laws.

Repeat that and think for a minute - it was too toxic to be produced in TEXAS, where you can build an explosive fertilizer plant next door to an elementary school and the health inspectors kinda shrug it off when your famous ice cream starts spreading listeria. Our environmental and workplace safety laws are pretty damn lax as such things go.

Mydienon
Orc
Orc

Post by Mydienon » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:18 pm

Thanks Saxon1974!

Also the paint used by the factory (for those of us who have pre-painted)...

...and, as long as we're asking, also the old resin sets...

...and, um, the coins...