KS4 - reattach magnets and metal bits

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: KS4 - reattach magnets and metal bits

Post by Oldent » Wed May 17, 2017 9:24 pm

unclebilly wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 7:44 pm
FiberFix Extreme has become my go to glue for about everything now. I have not tried it on magnets to Dwarvenite but it should work. https://www.amazon.com/FiberFix-8571010 ... s=fiberfix
Cyanoacrylate Adhesive is Cyanoacrylate Adhesive You might get by with it.

Cyanoacrylate - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanoacrylate
Cyanoacrylate glue has a low shearing strength, ...

One tip I have for tin miniatures sand the joints. Tin is not as porous as the older alloys.Poor bond even lower shear strength. Metal magnets will rust leaving a very poor bond.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: William: PS on Posting

Post by William » Wed May 17, 2017 8:40 pm

GODofwar wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 5:15 pm
You will never win the posting wars, bwahaha. I have Offspring who will post if I order it..and they are up 24 hours a day video gaming...
Oh yaa, I don't have any children, but I hardly ever sleep, so there... :P ... :lol:
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

unclebilly
Ogre
Ogre

Post by unclebilly » Wed May 17, 2017 7:44 pm

FiberFix Extreme has become my go to glue for about everything now. I have not tried it on magnets to Dwarvenite but it should work. https://www.amazon.com/FiberFix-8571010 ... s=fiberfix

Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Vegomatic » Wed May 17, 2017 6:07 pm

Oldent wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 5:18 pm

Note for parents with small children :!: I read of an infant that died after swallowing very strong magnets.I do not know the details but the danger exists.
ACK!!!! I have not thought about child proofing the home for many years... our first grandchild was born last week... we need to do more than think about it! She will be mobile in no time!

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Wed May 17, 2017 5:18 pm

Just say no to magnets :lol:

Nice woodworking links.

I am going to also recommend two part epoxy. I suggest you clamp it too.Protect your clamps from squeeze out with wax paper. Apply wood glue to both sides and clamping makes a stronger bond.I am sure it is not a waste of time with epoxy. You can most likely get good results with ribbon epoxy/green stuff so long as you clamp it.

Note for parents with small children :!: I read of an infant that died after swallowing very strong magnets.I do not know the details but the danger exists.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

William: PS on Posting

Post by GODofwar » Wed May 17, 2017 5:15 pm

GODofwar wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 5:14 pm
William wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 2:51 pm
I had one magnet come loose and it stuck to an electric blanket that I used as a backdrop for pictures. It was folded and put away. Next time we used the blanket I thought, so that's where that buggers been. :lol:
HOOT! Too funny. On the other hand, what if a guest found it ....and kept the magnet...

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delenda Sunt

You will never win the posting wars, bwahaha. I have Offspring who will post if I order it..and they are up 24 hours a day video gaming...

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delenda Sunt
WeaselWarGod

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Wed May 17, 2017 5:14 pm

William wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 2:51 pm
I had one magnet come loose and it stuck to an electric blanket that I used as a backdrop for pictures. It was folded and put away. Next time we used the blanket I thought, so that's where that buggers been. :lol:
HOOT! Too funny. On the other hand, what if a guest found it ....and kept the magnet...

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delenda Sunt
WeaselWarGod

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Wed May 17, 2017 4:17 pm

GODofwar wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 2:39 pm
jchunick wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 1:47 pm
Vegomatic wrote:
Tue May 16, 2017 9:14 pm
Thus far, I have had one magnet pull out of a floor extension and one metal plate come off of a tower floor.

Is there a recommended method for reattaching them?

Thanks!
I would recommend a 2-part epoxy. make sure any old adhesive is cleaned off, the surfaces are cleaned and roughed, if possible. Then apply epoxy to both surfaces - enough to coat, but don't apply liberally or excess will squeeze out and be messy - and press the two pieces together. Be mindful of how much time you have before it sets too much (this is referred to as pot life in casting). Wipe away any excess. I believe acetone works, but read cleanup instructions for your particular product.
I'm with Josh. The other glues don't wear as well.

Josh, why do you suggest coating both surfaces? I have just done the loose magnets.

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delenda Sunt
http://forums.finewoodworking.com/fine- ... h-surfaces
http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/article ... -overkill/
http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/G ... Faces.html

Yes, I realize it's mostly about woodworking, but I think it's best practice to apply to both surfaces rather than a single surface.
If you aren't gaming then you aren't living.

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Wed May 17, 2017 2:51 pm

Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Wed May 17, 2017 2:40 pm

Vegomatic wrote:
Tue May 16, 2017 9:14 pm
Thus far, I have had one magnet pull out of a floor extension and one metal plate come off of a tower floor.

Is there a recommended method for reattaching them?

Thanks!
I've had about half a dozen or dozen come loose over time. Just normal wear and tear as far as I'm concerned. I had a couple come loose on unpacking too, but hey, same deal. We are getting product from Chinese who work all week and get two weeks off on Chinese New Year to go home.

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delenda Sunt
WeaselWarGod