Little mountain keep, under construction

MiyaErku
Kobold
Kobold

Re: Little mountain keep, under construction

Post by MiyaErku » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:38 pm

Haha, no way I'd be able to paint for someone else, I'm struggling to find time to paint for myself. I'm happy to share my technique if you want though, it's really quick and easy. The main trick is that I am using a very soft, large brush to drybrush with.

1. Spray with Krylon camouflage brown, or a similar really dark brown colour. I'm still trying to find an Army Painter that works as well, because I want to do my Dwarvenite the same way... leather brown is too light.

2. Brush all the stone with a fairly thick coat of medium grey (I'm using americana craft paint charcoal grey, planning to switch to pokorny paints base grey when my next shipment arrives). Use a large, cheap, soft-bristled brush for this, and make it not-quite-drybrush dry. You don't want wet paint streaks, but you don't want a gently light dusting. It takes a bit of practice.

3. Paint the dirt stuff with Pokorny Earth Stone and americana avocado green. I put both of these on the palette, without mixing, and try to keep one side of my brush earth and the other avocado so that I get a mottled effect. This is a more wet, full coverage paint job with dry brushing on the edges of the dirt piles.

4. Drybrush (lightly this time) the stone with Pokorny cavern dry brush. Don't worry about hitting the edges of the dirt. Be really thorough, but keep the brush nice and dry so you get that powdery stone look.

5. Switch down to a smaller drybrush and thoroughly drybrush the dirt areas with a bright green. Pokorny moss green would work well, I'm using an off-brand (I think it's americana hauser light green or something) for now.

That's it. It is pretty fast and easy, those five tiles took me just slightly longer than the duration of the Fellowship of the Ring extended cut. Once I get a primer that works, I will be doing most of my CBS/castle stuff in the same style.

thedmstrikes
Goblin
Goblin

Post by thedmstrikes » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:09 pm

Nice...I have a set of those in the garage, but sadly, they look nothing like yours. want some more practice? I will front all the paint and shipping fees...

MiyaErku
Kobold
Kobold

Post by MiyaErku » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:11 pm

They are indeed the forgotten cities ones. They play very nicely with dwarven forge, they are about 1/2 the height so DF buildings adjacent to them stand a bit proud but not so much higher as to look bad, and doors and things clear easily. I still haven't experimented much with using them as a base for erinthor stuff.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:56 am

Those floor tiles are indeed excellent.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Rabbit Burner » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:53 am

Fabulous job on those Tablescapes Tiles are they from the Forgotten City range ?
I am the Game and I want to Play

MiyaErku
Kobold
Kobold

Post by MiyaErku » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:26 am

Sure! I'm debating if I'm going to add more to the fort, or leave it open. It's enclosed for most of it, but it's a gameplay set so leaving it open is a bit more convenient. There will be some erinthor cliffs though.

Here's my progress on tile painting. Tomorrow I'll set them up around the fort,
and probably add some elevations. Still looking for trees in local hobby stores.
MVIMG_20180312_222518-01.jpeg
MVIMG_20180312_222518-01.jpeg (73.51 KiB) Viewed 855 times

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Rabbit Burner » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:16 am

Nice setup
Liking those tile floors

More pictures when complete ?
I am the Game and I want to Play

MiyaErku
Kobold
Kobold

Post by MiyaErku » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:49 pm

The cathedral roof is mostly because it's the only decent looking roof I have for the building. In game, it's actually a converted old ruin run by a secret private militia, so the roof will be a remnant from its old days.

Thanks for the feedback, both!

GODofwar
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GODofwar » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:31 pm

MiyaErku wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:20 pm
This is my WIP to combine my small collection of CBS with my new tablescapes tiles. Both of them need painting up, but I'm happy with where things are going so far! There are several different paint styles at work in the dwarven forge stuff, and the table tiles show the colour scheme I have finally settled on. Now just gotta get my DF up to speed.

MVIMG_20180310_201258-01-01.jpeg
MVIMG_20180310_200955-01.jpeg
IMG_20180311_140024_01-01.jpeg
Miya:

To me, on a 'small mountain keep' fancy pyramidal tower tops seem out of place.

But the build is very functional and suggestive of a small busy keep.

TLW
WeaselWarGod

unclebilly
Ogre
Ogre

Post by unclebilly » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:33 pm

Looks good