retaking the Iron Keep

zenako
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: retaking the Iron Keep

Post by zenako » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:39 pm

In the history of this Keep the large 3 story rectangular stone building was where it all began. Then as the location became more settled the walled courtyard was placed to connect to the Keep and include the large outbuildings nearby. Later still the extra bailey was added to the end to give an extra level of defense against entry. The main gate to the bailey is not a straight shot, but you have to enter the stone building and take a sharp left to enter the outer bailey, makes it hard for battering rams, etc. Also all the arrow slits and murder holes above that entrance make breaching the Keep by the main gate somewhat challenging. This whole structure is on the top of a small hill that is about 60' above the surrounding lands as well. So in game terms it is even more imposing.

I like putting up large scale settings when it makes sense. I probably have just as much fun just playing with my DF toys in the week ahead of time, as the players do in trying to figure out how to break in. I can also just take a picture from a low angle and send that to the players (this is what you see from your spyglass about the keep).

GardenDM
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GardenDM » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:23 pm

Love the sheer scale of this build! And it's cool seeing castle walls that aren't squared up - that's a good look.

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:54 pm

Looks fantastic! I bet your players had a ton of fun. :D
If you aren't gaming then you aren't living.

zenako
Minotaur
Minotaur

retaking the Iron Keep

Post by zenako » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:49 pm

My players will be attempting to retake the Local Keep that was captured by the Orc horde a few months back. The locals just did not have the forces to resist the very large number of orcs and ogres in that attack. The characters have managed to take out most all of the ogres where they were stationed and managed a stealth mission to find and eliminate the orc Leader in the dead of day. Now the local forces have been rallied and will be retaking the Keep this weekend (if all goes well.

So was building up the Keep and realized I really do not have quite enough Stone CBS and certain castle elements, but can use things like Dungeon of Doom pieces to make stone buildings instead. Here are a few shots of the keep from tonight. Still need to add some bling and details to the parts, but the major building stuff is done.
Attachments
The Iron Keep (South Side).jpg
The Iron Keep - south side
The Iron Keep (South Side).jpg (45.71 KiB) Viewed 709 times
Iron Keep Orcs waiting for the Party.jpg
Orcs waiting to Party
Iron Keep Orcs waiting for the Party.jpg (108.87 KiB) Viewed 709 times
Main Courtyeard of Iron Keep.jpg
Main Courtyard - needs more bling
Main Courtyeard of Iron Keep.jpg (100.75 KiB) Viewed 709 times
East Side of Iron Keep.jpg
The Eastern Side