Rangers of Shadow Deep

Feymous
Orc
Orc

Re: Rangers of Shadow Deep

Post by Feymous » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:23 pm

Looks like a lot of fun! :D

I really like how you've used castle and city builder to create the ruined convent. The ruined pieces you've used give the whole setup a dilapidated look and there's lots of space for combat.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:13 am

Oooohhhh you got to watch out for those sneaky planty tentacled vine creatures.

Liking the nice big rooms so you can swing your cat/weasel/lettuce
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

patransom
Orc
Orc

Post by patransom » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:20 am

For the next scenario of the Burning Light mission, we chose to explore the Herb Store, described as follows:

As you push through the broken door into the gloom of the tower, you are nearly overwhelmed by the strength and variety of scents from within: basil, thyme, rosemary, farlight, and even a few herbs you can’t identify. There is something else though, a sweet, sickly scent that runs underneath them all.

Inside the dim tower, you can just make out numerous drying racks and cupboards along the walls, and a huge apothecary’s table in the centre, all sitting on an unpaved dirt floor. Then, in the darkness of the far corner, you spy something else, a monstrous plant, covered in oozing, sticky sap, its tentacle-like vines waving in the air. Just then, a root or vine bursts out of the ground and wraps around the leg of one of your companions.

A couple of photos from different angles:

That's a big plant monster in the corner. It's immobile, but its vines, represented here by the small plant creatures in front of the cabinets, move around to attack. We played with some new playtest rules, designed to make the game harder for 3-4 players. As a result, one of my companions fell in battle and will be "badly wounded" (reduced health) for the next game. Still not a super hard game, and the plant creature was fun to deal with.

patransom
Orc
Orc

Post by patransom » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:41 am

Last night, we continued the Burning Light mission and moved on to explore the courtyard of the ruined convent, described as follows:

A grim scene is revealed as you step into the courtyard. Bodies lie everywhere – a few guards, but mostly nuns. They have been torn and hacked down, and their bodies left to rot where they lie. A fountain filled with dark water sits in the middle of the yard, and a large broken cart off to one side. Proceeding further, you hear the dry crackle of old bones as four skeletons rise from amidst the carnage and turn their eyeless faces in your direction.

I didn't fill the courtyard with bodies, but here it is on the table:

From the other side of the table:

The fountain with statue of St. Emilia in the middle, surrounded by skeletons:

pacarat
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by pacarat » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:46 am

A pair of averaging dice will give a nice +3 to -3 range.

GardenDM
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GardenDM » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:36 pm

GODofwar wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:09 pm
zenako wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:29 am
One way around that is to have movement speeds not be so much of a given. In D&D for example, a LOT of folks and critters all have the same movement speed of "30'" or 6 squares/hexes. In my game, I am also using a number of movement speed modifiers (race, armor, class, feats, spells, auras, elevation, difficult terrain, etc.) so that in many circumstances it is very hard to eyeball or know the movement outcome. I do allow someone to modify their movement from standard to a charge if after starting the move it appears they will be coming up short (assuming the terrain permits the charge attack). That does let them close the gap, but also leaves them more vulnerable to other attacks.

Characters know their current speed, other than impacts of terrain, so that is a fixed starting number (not as much dynamic speed calculations as the list above implies). Some players are really good at eyeballing stuff, others not so much. Also for me having some sort of grid gives me structure as well. We do keep a yardstick handy at all times, mainly for ranged attacks/spells and evaluating line of sight questions. Also makes for quicker determinations of range when shooting from or at an elevated spot, even more so when shooting from one elevated spot to another, diagonally across a courtyard of a Keep for example.
I like a lot of the ideas if first paragraph. Fixed things appear in wargames but rarely in real life. Uncertainty is the DM's friend.

The Chief Least Weasel of Valoria (Pretendant)
Totus KS Delenda Sunt
I like the idea of taking it one step further and using modified speeds (as described above) and then having a random element to each movement action (e.g. -5',0, +5', easily rolled on a d3 or a "Fudge die" that has "-", blank and "+" on it). This helps further drive home the uncertainty of a combat round where many things are supposed to be happening at once (i.e. very different than just sprinting in a straight line).

GardenDM
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GardenDM » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:32 pm

patransom wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:10 pm
We began the new campaign, Burning Light, this evening. The rangers are exploring a ruined convent in search of a healing relic called the Decanter of St. Emilia. Given a choice of several areas in which to start exploring, we chose the ruined chapel, which is described as follows:

This tower once stood four floors high, but now only a few fragments of the second level remain. It looks like a giant fist punched straight through one corner of the tower and out the opposite one, completely separating the two halves that remain. As you step lightly into the ruins, it is immediately apparent that this must once have been a chapel. There are broken statues, torn prayer books, and crushed candles lying all about. There is even one stained-glass window, nearly black in the gloom, that has remained untouched. As you step further into the ruins of the chapel, you quickly realize that you are not alone.

And here's how it looks on the table:

We survived the monsters (various types of ghouls) and found most of the clues and treasures. We currently suspect the relic might be found in the old herb store, but we'll have to go through the courtyard to get there, so it will be a couple more sessions before we can see if our suspicions are correct.

After one scenario, this campaign promises to be both more challenging and better suited to my DF collection than the first one.
I love this build so much! Very evocative and looks fun for a battle.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:48 am

Cool ruins

Nice build for the plot - good job pat :)
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

patransom
Orc
Orc

Post by patransom » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:10 pm

We began the new campaign, Burning Light, this evening. The rangers are exploring a ruined convent in search of a healing relic called the Decanter of St. Emilia. Given a choice of several areas in which to start exploring, we chose the ruined chapel, which is described as follows:

This tower once stood four floors high, but now only a few fragments of the second level remain. It looks like a giant fist punched straight through one corner of the tower and out the opposite one, completely separating the two halves that remain. As you step lightly into the ruins, it is immediately apparent that this must once have been a chapel. There are broken statues, torn prayer books, and crushed candles lying all about. There is even one stained-glass window, nearly black in the gloom, that has remained untouched. As you step further into the ruins of the chapel, you quickly realize that you are not alone.

And here's how it looks on the table:

We survived the monsters (various types of ghouls) and found most of the clues and treasures. We currently suspect the relic might be found in the old herb store, but we'll have to go through the courtyard to get there, so it will be a couple more sessions before we can see if our suspicions are correct.

After one scenario, this campaign promises to be both more challenging and better suited to my DF collection than the first one.

patransom
Orc
Orc

Post by patransom » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:06 am

Some pictures from the final two scenarios of the first campaign.

In Mission 3: Descent into Darkness, Scenario 2: Swamplands there's a bit of a swamp at the bottom of the stairs from the previous scenario. The darker green section is deep water where the heroes have to swim. The lighter green is wadeable, and just counts as difficult terrain.

Our rangers move into the water to face the swamp zombies.

In Mission 3, Scenario 3: The Last Stand, the rangers will have to defend this crumbling farmhouse from an onslaught of various beasties.

Lorenthian survivors await rescue inside.

Here, Edmund, Duke of Edinburgh, and his man Baldric are mobbed by gnolls and zombies. The rest of the group was busy dealing with a troll while this happened. The Duke and his man made it through okay, though.

This has been a fun game. With three rangers, though, we found it a bit easy except for the very last scenario, which was challenging to the end. The next campaign is supposed to be harder. We'll see...

Return to “COOL PHOTOS OF DF SETS!”