Castle Ravenloft! Complete build with guide and set list!

Gargs454
Orc
Orc

Re: Castle Ravenloft! Complete build with guide and set list!

Post by Gargs454 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:49 pm

Very cool, anyone got a spare $1700 I can "borrow"? :)

Seriously though, thanks for posting this, it truly is epic.

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:42 am

Oldent wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:50 pm
As many narrow passage tiles as you used in the build as catacombs, I would think that would justify a dedicated catacomb crypt with a door in that foot print. The resin catacomb motif would be cool 8-)

A catacomb style narrow passage tile could pull double duty with the right accessories. ;)
I changed my mind the tab walls in a catacomb motif would be possibly more useful :idea:

WIP photo of some 3 inch 4 bot cast tab walls. The daemon door has the 4 bot skull cast on the rear and will pivot on a pin when it is completed. The demon door will also be on a tab. Use the idea if you like. I am going to make some tab walls with some of your Wife's molds. They are cast but not assembled.

My opinion on 3d printing. Too slow and not dependable yet. Learn cad because 3d is the future. You already have a working knowledge of casting. That will give you an advantage of what it takes to move prototypes into production.

The pillar on the far left was printed at 65% size in resin. It knocked out Remington's machine for weeks.The two larger pillars were printed with a spool at 90% size. They take 14+ hours to print and require lots of sanding. Tom is able to make about one a week because he has a life. It takes me 45 minutes to make a cast with Hydrocal. I only need six of the large 90% size so I will not make a mold.
The Dwarf cast are from https://www.thomarillion.de/ I made the bases with an OOP mold I purchased from another casting buddy
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:58 am

DWChancellor wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:43 am
I've tried printing that one.

Metal printers aren't bigger than polymer ones... the biggest polymer I know of is at ORNL:

https://www.ornl.gov/blog/eesd-review/m ... e-research

Dimensions in feet: The new system will have the capability of printing polymer material in sizes up to 13 feet long, 6.5 feet wide, and 8 feet tall, enabling taller structures than the existing BAAM printer’s capacity of 20 feet x 8 feet x 6 feet.

I've seen it in person. Of course it prints in layers on the order of an inch so accuracy suffers.

There are a couple of machines that could get much larger in metal but they don't do well with tall structures yet. Too much in-process distortion still. One of the technologies is called direct deposition and is basically a coil-fed welding rig on a robot arm.
Blimey! Thats a big old boy!

Not sure we want a 28mm Castle Ravenloft that badly. On any scale to be honest. Still hankering for a Formlabs 2 - but got nowhere to put it or the prints :(
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

DWChancellor
Ogre
Ogre

Post by DWChancellor » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:43 am

I've tried printing that one.

Metal printers aren't bigger than polymer ones... the biggest polymer I know of is at ORNL:

https://www.ornl.gov/blog/eesd-review/m ... e-research

Dimensions in feet: The new system will have the capability of printing polymer material in sizes up to 13 feet long, 6.5 feet wide, and 8 feet tall, enabling taller structures than the existing BAAM printer’s capacity of 20 feet x 8 feet x 6 feet.

I've seen it in person. Of course it prints in layers on the order of an inch so accuracy suffers.

There are a couple of machines that could get much larger in metal but they don't do well with tall structures yet. Too much in-process distortion still. One of the technologies is called direct deposition and is basically a coil-fed welding rig on a robot arm.
DW, Chancellor of Valoria, Formally Privy Councilor of Valoria

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:59 am

Rabbit Burner wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:31 am

oooh if only there were a 3d printer big enough.........
I am sure there is but it is probably industrial and only prints metal. They can 3D print some massive items now.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Bastard of Buffalo

Post by Bastard of Buffalo » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:39 am

I've been wanting to build this since I joined the DF Army. Very impressive.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:31 am

Foxwander wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:57 pm
Rabbit Burner wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:45 am

I've actually done some serious thought on how this could be done and I'm just not sure it would be worth it. And I'm not sure having it be playable inside would even be possible.

Our approach to castles are for external play/story telling only, with any internals done using DoD builds. Eldest boy bunny is helping us work on a project using this approach.
Foxwander wrote:
Rabbit Burner wrote:

The problem is that the castle has a ton of unused vertical height. There's forty or fifty feet between each level of the maps. Since our Castle Walls represent 20' of height you need two or three of them stacked on top of each other to accurately portray each level. The full 360' of the tallest tower would mean a castle 6 feet tall! Yes- it would be epic, no doubt. But it would also cost thousands of dollars and it would probably fall apart if you sneezed in it's general vicinity- although several pounds of blue-tack might hold it together.

This adds up to our recollection, that the castle was immensely tall but with less levels than you'd think, artistic license we assume, but it has been 25 years since we played it.

We suspect that unless you’re trying to be clever with the build, it would be fairly solid, our experience is that walls balance nicely on top of each other, though not tried the amount you'd need for Castle Ravenloft. One problem would be getting all the walls to line up, which can lead to over balancing the top of the wall as 'adjust' the base of the wall and having it crash to floor bringing down what feels like the rest of the build!

Another problem would be height and table support, both cured by making it a floor build. But we kinda agree with you, not really worth it and the expenditure would be immense and even though we know Lady S got a shed ton of Castle, that would not be enough!
Foxwander wrote:
Rabbit Burner wrote:

I'll just content myself with this 3d-printable version on Thingiverse whenever I break down and actually get a 3d printer.
oooh if only there were a 3d printer big enough.........
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

DWChancellor
Ogre
Ogre

Post by DWChancellor » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:23 pm

Really very nice. If only more pieces were available on the webstore... I'd probably go buy some more =)
DW, Chancellor of Valoria, Formally Privy Councilor of Valoria

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:45 pm

Very nice! When are you and your wife going to run me through it? ;)
100 Resin and 237 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

astolat
Orc
Orc

Post by astolat » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:04 pm

Ohhh, this is SO COOL. *____*

(Elemental Evil next! Please! :D :D :D)

Return to “COOL PHOTOS OF DF SETS!”