Castle Ravenloft! Complete build with guide and set list!

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Castle Ravenloft! Complete build with guide and set list!

Post by Rabbit Burner » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:45 am

Foxwander wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:49 am
We get asked about this all the time in Customer Support so I decided I had to build the whole thing and make a complete list of all the sets you need to pull it off. This is just the maps for the castle NOT the Castle itself done with our Castle Builder line. I'm not even going to attempt that build.

First are all the finished build pics. I'll post the Build Maps with Set List, as well as some notes on the build, in the next post and then some detail pics in the third.

Very nice work FW :)

We did Ravenloft back in the 90's and our Ranger lost a level (Damned wights!) but gained Wings!?

Glad to see you are getting hands on the product and not just maintaining DF's 'Commitment to Excellence' when it comes to Customer Service.

This is an excellent idea to recreate classic DnD maps, Temple of Elemental Evil next ;)

Cant believe your shunning the opportunity to make the mother of all DnD Castles, and if were are honest there are quite a few disappointed bunnies :(

Sure it will take a mountain of Castle sets, we know you would have the difficult task of interpreting some of maps to work out the external structure. And yeah you probably need maybe a year or two build time.

But these are opportunities not obstacles.

But if you’re not up to the job, because you got real life distractions such as the need to eat and sleep, painting Lady S's Dwarvenite Warehouse and actually having a life outside DF Customer support. Then feel free to send us all the painted Castles you have and we will build it :D
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

Foxwander
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Foxwander » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:42 am

Here are a few close up pics of the Catacombs level...

The entry way to the Catacombs and all it's crypts! Sooo much death waiting.

The entry to Strahd's Tomb itself. Rush on in and stake him! Surely nothing will go wrong with that plan. :twisted:

The elevated Tomb of the King and Queen, just to show how it's built.

In Curse of Strahd, his Tomb (and Sergei's) has a barred gate. Here's that with the lever to open it inside. Note: there isn't a magnetic wall in my set list. I pulled one of Michelle's just for this pic.

Another Curse of Strahd variation. The dining room (K67) in the Larders of Ill Omen has been turned into an ossuary by the mad caretaker, Cyrus Bellview. Since my talented wife has sculpted pieces just for this I had to build this version as well. You can get the ossuary inserts in the Dias of the Dead or the Fanatic's Trove.

Foxwander
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Foxwander » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:33 am

Ravenloft DF Build Maps.zip
(381.41 KiB) Downloaded 88 times
Here's the build map. A legend for the build maps is on the last page. I created this in Excel so I could accurately count up the pieces used. The set list is on the second to last page, but I'll copy it here. That gives you the pieces to build each map one at a time.:

Code: Select all

SKU       Set Name       Price
5-CLADR-P       Classic Dungeon Remastered Core Set        $99 
5-DOOR-P       Doors        $75 
5-DOU-P       Double Doors        $33 
5-DUNF-P       Dungeon Floors        $40 
5-DUNF-P       Dungeon Floors        $40 
5-LARCW-P       Large Curved Walls        $29 
5-LARCW-P       Large Curved Walls        $29 
5-LARF-P       Large Floors        $63 
5-LEDA-P       LED Alcoves        $40 
5-LEDA-P       LED Alcoves        $40 
5-PASH-P       Passages - Hallway        $64 
5-PASH-P       Passages - Hallway        $64 
5-STRD-P       Straight Daises        $56 
5-VAUC-P       Vaulted Corners        $75 
5-VAUDI-P       Vaulted Diagonal Walls        $66 
5-VAUW-P       Vaulted Walls        $55 
GT1-AD01-P       Diagonal Wall Pack        $70 
GT1-AD02-P       Curved Corner Pack        $70 
GT1-AD06-P       Castle Wall Pack        $70 
WFD-P       Narrow Passage        $50 
       Total        $1,742

***NOTES***

- Added pieces: I added a few pieces that aren't in these sets: the throne, elevation platforms, and marble 1x2 Dais Platforms for the various major tombs in the catacombs. That was just to add some flair to the otherwise empty maps.

- Map Deviations: The raised area in Map 12b of the Catacombs, is supposed to be a lower area in the Ravenloft maps. However, it was way easier to raise that Tomb area than it would have been to raise the rest of the catacombs just so that the Tomb of Barov and Ravenovia would be lower.

- Table size: Everything except Map 12b, the Catacomb part of the Dungeon and Catacombs can be built on a 3' x 4' space. Specifically Map 3, the Main Floor, is 34" x 46". The Catacomb area is 36" x 56", so you need a larger table for it.

- Lack of Catacomb Doors: There aren't too many doors through most of Ravenloft. The 9 you get with the three Classic Dungeon Remastered Core sets in my Set List are enough for most everything (including the side doors of the Catacombs- if you move them to the end of their "hallway"). There are a couple of Narrow Doors needed and those are in the Doors Set. But there are 32 crypts in the Catacombs that have doors in the module. I'm using Narrow Passages/Wall Foundations for the crypts here and there aren't doors skinny enough to fit in those. If your players simply MUST have a door to bash through for the crypts I recommend quickly subbing in the Solid Wall Insert for the Vaulted Open Arch Walls that come in the Doors pack, OR use the Classic Dungeon 1x1 Walls from the Classic Dungeon Remastered Core Sets for temporary doors.

Talistran
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Talistran » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:53 am

REALLY cool to see it all laid out.

Now, what about the flair, rugs, artwork, furniture, etc? ;)

Lots of work there. Nicely done! :)

Foxwander
Goblin
Goblin

Castle Ravenloft! Complete build with guide and set list!

Post by Foxwander » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:49 am

We get asked about this all the time in Customer Support so I decided I had to build the whole thing and make a complete list of all the sets you need to pull it off. This is just the maps for the castle NOT the Castle itself done with our Castle Builder line. I'm not even going to attempt that build.

First are all the finished build pics. I'll post the Build Maps with Set List, as well as some notes on the build, in the next post and then some detail pics in the third.

Map 3: Main Floor

Map 4: Court of the Count

Map 5: Rooms of Weeping

Maps 6: Spires of Ravenloft

Map 7: Spires of Ravenloft

Map 8: Spires of Ravenloft

Maps 9 and 10: Spires of Ravenloft

Map 11: Larders of Ill Omen

Map 12a: Dungeons and Catacombs, part 1

Map 12b: Dungeons and Catacombs, part 2

Return to “COOL PHOTOS OF DF SETS!”