Castle Ravenloft! Complete build with guide and set list!

John D
Orc
Orc

Re: Castle Ravenloft! Complete build with guide and set list!

Post by John D » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:06 pm

I'm a PC in Curse of Strahd right now; the DM isn't going to be wild about me oogling these builds.
Glad I did tho, they're tres cool. 8-)

Foxwander
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Foxwander » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:57 pm

Rabbit Burner wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:45 am
Cant believe your shunning the opportunity to make the mother of all DnD Castles, and if were are honest there are quite a few disappointed bunnies :(

Sure it will take a mountain of Castle sets, we know you would have the difficult task of interpreting some of maps to work out the external structure. And yeah you probably need maybe a year or two build time.
I've actually done some serious thought on how this could be done and I'm just not sure it would be worth it. And I'm not sure having it be playable inside would even be possible.

The problem is that the castle has a ton of unused vertical height. There's forty or fifty feet between each level of the maps. Since our Castle Walls represent 20' of height you need two or three of them stacked on top of each other to accurately portray each level. The full 360' of the tallest tower would mean a castle 6 feet tall! Yes- it would be epic, no doubt. But it would also cost thousands of dollars and it would probably fall apart if you sneezed in it's general vicinity- although several pounds of blue-tack might hold it together.

You could try building just the mapped levels of the actual castle without all the dead vertical space but it wouldn't have the same effect. There's a YouTube video where it was done. It looks pretty impressive but also a little too short to really feel like Castle Ravenloft!

There's also a papercraft build on EnWorld that manages to be both a playable map AND the castle itself. But again, it comes off as too short. You need that crazy 6' foot tall castle to really do it justice. And that's a bit crazier than I feel like attempting.

I'll just content myself with this 3d-printable version on Thingiverse whenever I break down and actually get a 3d printer.

Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Vegomatic » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:49 pm

Foxwander wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:31 pm
One selling point I've mentioned in Customer Support for the build list of this is that it gives you all you need to build almost any dungeon. I plan to start recreating a lot of classic maps as best I can: White Plume Mountain, Elemental Evil, possibly Tomb of Horrors, and more. We'll see.
Looking forward to seeing them!

This setup is amazing and the resources are excellent!

Thank you so much!!!

Foxwander
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Foxwander » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:31 pm

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I've wanted to build this for quite a while actually. The original Ravenloft adventure was actually my very first experience with D&D way back when it was a brand new module! I ran my friends through it all in one setting. It was a pretty crazy game.

Since Curse of Strahd came out, we get asked about how to build this at least once a month. I've made guesstimates of what sets it would take but figured I needed to actually build it to really know. Once I recreated the maps in Excel I could accurately count up the tiles. Then I just needed to port in the sets and parts matrix I have to find the most efficient/cheapest mix of sets to get all the parts needed.

The mix of classic dungeon and DoD vaulted dungeons works pretty well to differentiate the "service" areas of the castle vs. the nicer guest/living areas. There weren't too many changes I had to make from the maps to the actual build. The direction of some spiral staircases were flipped to work with the small tower Curved Stone Stairs. And figuring the best way to lay out the Tabbed Passage Walls with Classic Dungeon 2x2 walls for many of the corridors was a bit of pain, but nothing looks too wonky because of it. Finally, a little creative license was needed for the Spires maps. We just don't have tower walls in the many sizes you would need to be truly accurate to the maps. But one set of Curved Corners worked well for a lot of it. That set got used all over the place.

One selling point I've mentioned in Customer Support for the build list of this is that it gives you all you need to build almost any dungeon. I plan to start recreating a lot of classic maps as best I can: White Plume Mountain, Elemental Evil, possibly Tomb of Horrors, and more. We'll see.

and Riot
Goblin
Goblin

Post by and Riot » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:16 pm

This is really impressive. I am running Curse of Strahd right now...

ForestZ
Ogre
Ogre

Post by ForestZ » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:05 pm

That is damned impressive.

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:50 pm

As many narrow passage tiles as you used in the build as catacombs, I would think that would justify a dedicated catacomb crypt with a door in that foot print. The resin catacomb motif would be cool 8-)

A catacomb style narrow passage tile could pull double duty with the right accessories. ;)
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

GardenDM
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GardenDM » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:22 am

Amazing! Really great to see someone finally build this in completion. KS5 made me really happy because it finally offered the alcoves needed for this build. As you pointed out, there are a still a few weak points, particularly doors and spiral stairs, but it's still fantastic and would take FOREVER for a party to fully explore.

unclebilly
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by unclebilly » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:12 am

Wow that is nice.

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:29 am

The base table is very clever :!: Thank you for the effort you put into this project 8-)
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

Return to “COOL PHOTOS OF DF SETS!”