Post by Gargs454 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:00 pm

Indeed, truly excellent work here!

GardenDM
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Hommlet Moathouse

Post by GardenDM » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:45 am

This is awesome! Nice work!

I'm curious to see the FB post as well if you don't mind sharing the link.

patransom
Orc
Orc

Hommlet Moathouse

Post by patransom » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:20 am

My players have reached the "let's investigate the ruined moathouse" phase of their adventure in Hommlet, so obviously I had to try and match the original 1979 map of the moathouse as closely as possible. This was fiddly, because I really wanted to do it with the castle walls. I spent easily more than 12 hours messing with this one and the result isn't as close a match as the Inn of the Welcome Wench. But I still think it gets the job done.

Original 1979 map:

My version, populated with monsters and with the tops of the walls opened up to show all the areas accessible to the players. The castle walls result in passageways that don't exist in the original map, but I kind of like that feature.

Original 1979 art:

My version from approximately the same angle:

Closer view of the courtyard. I'm really happy with how the stairs look.

With the interior hidden from the players. I put those ruins pieces on top as a nod to the rubble in the original picture.

Closeups of some of the individual areas, starting with the frogs lurking in the pond.

The front gate, which annoys me in its deviation from the original, but I couldn't make a diagonal castle wall look good and the bits I'm using for water didn't really support an indented design.

The tower's encounter area is elevated, unlike in the original, but a spider still lurks inside.

The great hall with it's pile of destroyed furniture. That door lying there is intentional: "The doors at the head of the stairs are broken -- one flat on the floor, the other sundered."

Bats in the salon and a giant snake at the end of the hall:

Rats by the stairs in the storeroom, a giant tick in the kitchen, and a lizard guarding a chest in the barracks:

A feature I'm really happy with is that the stairs to the dungeon actually descend.

I wish I had CD's camp pack to add the bedrolls for the bandits.

But I'm happy about my solution to the secret stairway in the bandit chamber.

What's ironic is that someone else posted their version of the moathouse on Facebook just last night. They used dungeon pieces only and, although it lacks the battlements, it is a nearly exact match to the original map layout. I wish I'd seen their version earlier, because I could have copied it, been satisfied and saved myself about 12 hours of messing with the castle walls.

Return to “COOL PHOTOS OF DF SETS!”