Does anyone collect DF who doesn't game/dnd?

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Does anyone collect DF who doesn't game/dnd?

Post by Law » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:10 pm

I was originally collecting DF purely for the awesome of it and my memories of 1e playing. But when my kids came along and then grew up to the point they could ask what this stuff was - they wanted to play. So now we occasionally game together - after 19 years of collecting DF, I finally use it for its intended purpose! ;)

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:36 am

I also collect Df because I like painting it.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:14 am

We also fall in the building for builds sake, not necessarily for gaming category.

Sometimes it is about what can we build or it is inspired by a local castle or a fantasy build, sometimes it is DF features like paparpets, double thick walls, suspended walkways and mixing other manufacture elements to make a more interesting build.

We will show the younguns and often then play out a story which is often been very entertaining.
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:58 am

The Dwarven Forge tiles add so much to what ever story you want to tell :!:

Eva had so much fun with the remote. It was worth the cost of the whole thing :!:
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

lostpict
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by lostpict » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:16 pm

I like terrain. My first D&D game in 1977 used minis and terrain. That is my preferred way to do it and I only use theater if the mind when there is no practical way to use miniatures. TOTM leaves to much to individual interpretation since everyone probably imagines a different set if props and scenery.
Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

Rhizom
Orc
Orc

Post by Rhizom » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:56 pm

Feymous wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:04 pm
GardenDM wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:31 pm
Ok, so, if we're being honest here, I mostly just play with mine. Sure, I've used it in D&D games and hope to do so much more in some distant future, but for now it's largely just a "toys for grown-ups with not enough time" situation for me. :|
That was my situation the first few years I collected DF. Building, staging, and photographing mini terrain scratches a creative itch and can keep me pleasantly occupied for hours.

That said, I love when builds can also be used in game. I've been fortunate to meet some friendly gamers since moving to Seattle (including a a few forum members ), so my DF now sees a good amount game time.

My husband and I built squads for the GW Kill Team skirmish game, and I can see us using DF for that. Although more than likely the terrain we picked up for Kill Team will end up finding its way into my D&D games :D
For me it is similar as in GardenDMs case. My only D&D group that loved 3D terrain faded away last year. My RPG groups left are all theatre of mind. So I mostly build for myself at the moment, waiting for the next opportunity to really game with DF.

What I find interesting is, that I have the feeling that you can see it in the builds themselves: Are they made for actual gaming or just playing around for fun and beauty? I think your builds, @feymous, always remind me how important gaming is, because everything in your builds looks playable. Nothing just for the effect. And this again is triggering more gaming ideas in my imagination. I learn a lot from that, regarding how one can build actual adventure.

Therefore, I would argue, the question of the original post, what people do with DF, is quite important, because the aim is very much recognisable in the builds themselves.
Rhizom, Creeping Rootstalks of Valoria

Feymous
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Feymous » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:04 pm

GardenDM wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:31 pm
Ok, so, if we're being honest here, I mostly just play with mine. Sure, I've used it in D&D games and hope to do so much more in some distant future, but for now it's largely just a "toys for grown-ups with not enough time" situation for me. :|
That was my situation the first few years I collected DF. Building, staging, and photographing mini terrain scratches a creative itch and can keep me pleasantly occupied for hours.

That said, I love when builds can also be used in game. I've been fortunate to meet some friendly gamers since moving to Seattle (including a a few forum members ), so my DF now sees a good amount game time.

My husband and I built squads for the GW Kill Team skirmish game, and I can see us using DF for that. Although more than likely the terrain we picked up for Kill Team will end up finding its way into my D&D games :D

Alkettory
Orc
Orc

Post by Alkettory » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:38 pm

I'm just a lowly Pathfinder player. My wife and I supply the gameroom, storage space, and terrain, and my brother-in-law is the DM. We also have a few other players.

Our group used to rotate houses when we played, but eventually I accumulated enough DF that that was no longer practical. :)

Rodenbach
Orc
Orc

Post by Rodenbach » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:38 am

Mitch wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:41 pm
Rodenbach wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:23 pm
But most of the time, we use DF for boardgames like Zombicide, Conan, Batman Chronicles, Cthulhu Death May Die, Folklore, Sword & Sorcery, Assault of the Empire, Pulp Alley, Mordheim, Aliens, etc.
Apart from Zombicide, are any of the games you mentioned co-op?
Yes. :mrgreen:

Zombicide, Cthulhu Death May Die, Folklore and Sword & Sorcery, Aliens are 100% co-op. (Aliens is an old 1989 game that fits perfect with DF and AvP minis)

Conan, Batman Chronicles and Assault on the Empire are also co-cop but versus one player who plays the bad guys.

Pulp Alley and Mordheim are versus games, more like scenarised wargames
More pictures and threads on my blog (Mostly in French)

Also check my DF Facebook page (Mostly in English)

Mitch
Orc
Orc

Post by Mitch » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:41 pm

Rodenbach wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:23 pm
But most of the time, we use DF for boardgames like Zombicide, Conan, Batman Chronicles, Cthulhu Death May Die, Folklore, Sword & Sorcery, Assault of the Empire, Pulp Alley, Mordheim, Aliens, etc.
Apart from Zombicide, are any of the games you mentioned co-op?

Return to “COOL PHOTOS OF DF SETS!”