[SPOILER] Pathfinder Society #11

Fu-Man Chu
Orc
Orc

Re: [SPOILER] Pathfinder Society #11

Post by Fu-Man Chu » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:04 am

jameswood wrote:i thought that raised platform picture was thornkeep at first.

we are running thornkeep right now
Sweet - I got that from their Kickstarter, but haven't looked through it yet. Is it good? I'm running Rise of the Runelords right now.

jameswood

Post by jameswood » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:06 pm

i thought that raised platform picture was thornkeep at first.

we are running thornkeep right now

Fu-Man Chu
Orc
Orc

Post by Fu-Man Chu » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:34 pm

jameswood wrote:
Fu-Man Chu wrote:Pictures from this one posted up now: http://rpgandrew.blogspot.com/2016/03/p ... iddle.html
well done sir
Thank you for the kind words!

jameswood

Post by jameswood » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:44 am

Fu-Man Chu wrote:Pictures from this one posted up now: http://rpgandrew.blogspot.com/2016/03/p ... iddle.html
well done sir

Fu-Man Chu
Orc
Orc

Post by Fu-Man Chu » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:31 am

Pictures from this one posted up now: http://rpgandrew.blogspot.com/2016/03/p ... iddle.html

rustyblade
Orc
Orc

Post by rustyblade » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:55 pm

What I realized a few years ago was that this is one of the reasons I really like DF and put a lot of my gaming money into it.

Games come and go; editions change (every few years it seems at times!); my preferences change - and sourcebooks go out of date with each of those. However, with my DF, what I originally bought for my AD&D 2nd ed games, I can use with my 3.0, my 3.5, my Pathfinder, my home brew, my Hackmaster game, my 1st ed game I just started this weekend, my Star Frontiers game, my Star Wars mini games, and whatever else games come to me!

Being so rulesets free is part of the great wonder of DF!

I agree although I only started a collection of DF less than two years ago. I really enjoy the timeless and seemingly endless methods to use DF no matter which game system is employed. I love not having to draw maps because of DF, I also love the three dimensional effect it has, and without a doubt DF makes for some memorable terrain during encounters.

Fu-Man Chu
Orc
Orc

Post by Fu-Man Chu » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:06 pm

What I realized a few years ago was that this is one of the reasons I really like DF and put a lot of my gaming money into it.

Games come and go; editions change (every few years it seems at times!); my preferences change - and sourcebooks go out of date with each of those. However, with my DF, what I originally bought for my AD&D 2nd ed games, I can use with my 3.0, my 3.5, my Pathfinder, my home brew, my Hackmaster game, my 1st ed game I just started this weekend, my Star Frontiers game, my Star Wars mini games, and whatever else games come to me!

Being so rulesets free is part of the great wonder of DF!

rustyblade
Orc
Orc

Post by rustyblade » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:47 pm

Even though I am not crzy about pathfinder

Really? Care to elaborate?

I'm quite happy with 3.5 and though I have only played in 2 tournament Pathfinder games at this past year's GenCon I have read the rules and like what I see and what I've experienced so far...
Well this is only my opinion and should be treated as such. I've played every edition of D&D (since 1982 in fact). I have if you want to play D&D 3.5, then your best option is play pathfinder 3.5 or what I like to call D&D 3.75. The reason I am not crazy about pathfinder 3.75 is that it is just a streamed lined version of old D&D rule-set.

I can honestly say that as a player, play-tester, and especially a Dungeon Master, that 4E is the best version of the game yet. It's far simpler and, most importantly, less broken! The biggest complaint about 4E that you'll hear is that it has fewer options than 3E... Well, of course it does. After 10 years in the market, 3E had gotten completely out of hand, terribly unbalanced, and overly complicated. The designers themselves said that, toward the end of 3E, they were finding it almost impossible to create anything under the system without breaking something else. Now, a lot of the options are being slowly brought back into 4E—with better balance and playability in mind.

One of the biggest issues with 3E (and all the earlier editions of D&D) is that the classes didn't really have the powers they needed to fulfill the roles they needed to play in an adventuring party. 4E has changed that and the entire game runs better because of it. There are fewer characters stepping on each others toes and everyone has a moment where they shine in most encounters. Heck, in my honest opinion, D&D has had the worst magic system in the RPG industry since its creation and 4E is worth trying just because the designers were brave enough to kill that sacred cow and build a fantastic new one from the ground up.

And as far as D&D 4E being like WoW or any other video game—it's not. Video games have been trying to be more like D&D for years now and, consequently, they've had a few good ideas along the way. Thankfully, the 4E designers noticed some of the really good ideas and subtly implemented them into the game. D&D is a better game for it and, most importantly, it's a hell of a lot more fun. You'll also hear people comment that all of the "roleplaying" aspect of the game have been removed. That is also incorrect. As a matter of fact, 4E is the first edition to include rules for skill-based encounters (called skill challenges) that make them just as important and worth just as much XP as combat.

Anyways sorry I got off tangent about pathfinder, as you can probably surmise, I am 4e (fanboi)! I am not saying 4e is for everyone, but I have to say with an bit of an open mind it is very good fun.

Fu-Man Chu
Orc
Orc

Post by Fu-Man Chu » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:37 am

Even though I am not crzy about pathfinder, Its still a cool layout. Looks like it was a fun time. Also those pictures are pretty good for a cell phone.

Even though its pretty much what I've been playing for the past 8 years, I'm not a big fan of the D&D rulesets - I prefer grittier, like the new Hackmaster. However, my group loves the idea of Living Campaigns, and after LG, Pathfinder Society was the next closest thing (I don't like D&D 4E, just not my thing).

I have to say though, the Paizo stuff is very good - in this particular mod, there wasn't one single straightforward combat. They had twists that made my often jaded players sit up, and go, hmmmm... how are we going to get out of this one!

Fu-Man Chu
Orc
Orc

Post by Fu-Man Chu » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:34 am

what do the white strips of paper (in a square) represent?

They are supposed to represent catwalks - I didn't get as much time to prep as I would have liked; at first, i was going to leave it open and just tell the players that there were catwalks as I didn't have anything to represent them, but then I realized I had strips of white paper left after cutting up the water printout, so I just stuck them on top to give a visual representation.