New lair (nearly) up and running

The Angry Gnome
Goblin
Goblin

Post by The Angry Gnome » Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:02 pm

Hey, thanks. I learned a pretty good process for making em' when i was out in BC. They're super cheap too, just Foamcore, playground sand, balsa wood and white glue.

I can't wait until i have 40 or so and i can do a fully urban crawl... *drools*

philip
Orc
Orc

Post by philip » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:39 am

Nice job on the scratch built buildings!

I have been meaning to make some for a long time now.

jkratzer
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jkratzer » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:44 am

Gnome -

Take a look at Hydrocal; it's a branded Plaster, but it has some additional strength over regular Plaster of Paris, for some reason. Woodland Scenics is a particular Model Railroad scenery company that markets it and sells it as "Lightweight Hydrocal" in a half-gallon milk carton (I'm not sure about the price, but I know it won't be cheap). It supposedly is stronger than regular plaster, and holds up under stress better, AND holds strength when colored better, but I don't know for sure.
Take a look at Smooth-On and Micro-Mark resins, too; they might be more economical than you think, and although they WILL be more expensive than plaster, they WILL last a LOT longer! Remember that frequently, anything free is worth what you paid for it. Some of the resins are 1:1 mixes, some are 10:1 or even 100:1 ratios, so you may need a scale to weigh them by. Look at the price/volume breaks and make you decision from there, and consider the shipping costs as well. Being in Ottawa, shipping SHOULDN'T be too bad; you'll probably have more trouble from Customs and exchange rates than shipping.
Whatever you go with, good luck, and remember: this is a HOBBY. Have FUN or DON'T DO IT!

Right, guys?

Stefan?

Jeff?

Bueller? Bueller?

The Angry Gnome
Goblin
Goblin

Post by The Angry Gnome » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:19 pm

I've done tinted plaster before, actually, when i cast a big ol' bucket of the stuff and chisled a bust out of it, but i found that it detracted seriously from its structural integrety. Admittedly, i did try to do like a marble swirl, so the paint was denser in areas and not in others... but yeah, where it was denser it just crumbled away like ash.

Myrthe
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Myrthe » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:02 pm

Hi -
Great ideas for the game room. I really should get to work on mine ... which is now banished to our basement since MY playroom became my 4-y.o. daughter's playroom.

I'd avoid the basic plaster of paris ... it's too brittle and will chip in a strong breeze. You don't want to put so much effort into terrain items and have them deteriorate on you.

I'd suggest using dental plaster ... it's more dense, cures harder and is more durable. It's more expensive, of course, but not as much as having to recast your broken plaster of paris pieces. Like any manufacturing component, you can get better deals for larger volume.

Oh, I'd also suggest tinting the plaster (to somewhat match your terrain project) so, when it does chip (it even happens with resin) the blemish isn't so glaring as a white, blue or yellow plaster.

Good luck !!

- Mike

The Angry Gnome
Goblin
Goblin

Post by The Angry Gnome » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:32 am

Pre-crazy, of course. That's the Britney we love to hate. She actually got on my good side by initiating a self-destructive shit-storm of drugs and lysol abuse.

So far, plans for the room include the putting up of drapes over all of the unused clutter, to take away a lot of the visual distractions and help players focus more on the game.

Also, I'm going to be picking up the ruined tower from Hirst Arts and making a bunch of modular peices that can be added to small DF dungeons right on the green table, making for an extremely complete-looking encounter. DF is pretty on its own, but when it sits within its own realistic environment, it's simply incredible.

On that note, does anyone here know if plaster of paris is an alright moulding medium? It recommends it on the HA site, but mentions that there are much better products available... i know a lot of the people here use resin, but i don't have that kinda money. If i was to use plaster, even if i'm very careful with them, i'm afraid the peices might not have a very long life... anyone cast with it before?

Kaladhan
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Kaladhan » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:02 pm

It's a good gaming room. Do you have more plans for it in the future? I'm kind of working on mine so I'm stealing any idea I can! ;)

Is it Britney pre-crazy or post-crazy?

Shadox
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Shadox » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:16 am

Nice....

The Angry Gnome
Goblin
Goblin

Post by The Angry Gnome » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:59 pm

they could mean the difference between a beholder with 50 hp... and a beholder with 150 hp.

In other words, the difference between a vicorious and wealthy party and a bloodied smear on the wall.

I love being DM :)

Zaltar of Valoria
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Zaltar of Valoria » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:33 pm

...the secret die rolls....mmmwwwaaaa...mmmwwwhhhaaaaaa!!!!

Return to “COOL PHOTOS OF DF SETS!”