You are attacked by 105 Deep Ones!

Do you (F)ight or (R)un?

:)

arsthein
Minotaur
Minotaur

Enter the Den of Evil

Post by arsthein » Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:46 am

I am afraid... much fear... sob... don't want to go... er... wait!!! I AM the DM!!!! COOL!!!!

Truly enjoyable Transit!! Thank you!!!

Zaltar of Valoria
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Enter the Den of Evil

Post by Zaltar of Valoria » Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:26 pm

Just Awesome Transit!

Wow!

I actually like the fuzzyness in some pictures. And I LOVE the cold light, as though you are actually outdoors on a misty morning in some minotaur maze... Are you a writer? Your text is awesome and creepy...

Stefan.

PS
I actually saw it first before I logged on and all the pictures were cropped and bigger for some reason. I liked that even better!, it was even more mysterious and wierd...after I realized I was not logged in, I did so and then saw the pictures again uncropped which were great but not as incredible as the close up very much cropped version I saw unlogged...it made the story so much more mysterious and creepy...
Edit: HHmmm. the cropped pics don't seem to have anything to do with logging in or out...probably just taking time to upload the pics...

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Enter the Den of Evil

Post by Law » Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:29 am

I remember, when I was into model railroading, seeing an ad for a video camera (I don't even think it was digital, this was back in like 2000 or 1999) that you could mount on a train to get a video of the layout from the train's-eye-view.

I still kinda think that's just about the neatest thing ever. I want one, for my DF.

L

jkratzer
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Enter the Den of Evil

Post by jkratzer » Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:49 am

The camera work wasn't quite as good as the rest, but that's probably because you had the camera set for auto-focus, didn't you? AF will getcha every time with close-up work like that.

In order to get down "inside" the setups, I was using a digital macro setting, so the depth of field was really tight. In some of the pics, both the foreground and background got blurred, with only a little bit in the middle kept in focus.

The lighting is too soft also. In order to have a roof over the pieces, I put a sheet of white paper over the setup and lit it with a desk lamp. I think creepy shadows and dark corners would be better than soft diffused light, but I'm not sure how to control the lighting in such a tiny space.
Transit
I had a sneaking suspicion the macro setting might be the problem. Don't feel ike the Lone Ranger on that one; it's caught me MANY TIMES when I try to shoot super-close stuff, too!

I once saw a digital camera (I think it was a Minolta) that had a DETACHABLE CCD Head that you could actually take the head DOWN IN THE HALLS to shoot; with a butchered set of LCD flashlights, you could actually do the miniature photography! Unfortunately, the camera is long out of production (I Think!), so that probably isn't happening any time soon.

Now I've tempted myself to try the chopped-up LCD lights; it shouldn't be TOO hard, and the lighting effects available with that, in a multi-level setup, would be FANTASTIC!!

Hey, the fact that you were able to get the shots you did is something close to amazing! PLEASE don't think I was actually knocking your work; I was merely commenting on the one less-than-perfect element of your visual story!

Ya Done GOOD!!

Jim Kratzer

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Enter the Den of Evil

Post by Law » Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:39 pm

Great, great, great stuff, man!

Fantastic -- I love those "you - are - THERE!" shots...

L

Transit
Goblin
Goblin

Enter the Den of Evil

Post by Transit » Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:23 pm

Thank to everyone for all the complements on the captions. The Den of Evil is certainly inspirational when it comes to creepy atmosphere.

The camera work wasn't quite as good as the rest, but that's probably because you had the camera set for auto-focus, didn't you? AF will getcha every time with close-up work like that.

In order to get down "inside" the setups, I was using a digital macro setting, so the depth of field was really tight. In some of the pics, both the foreground and background got blurred, with only a little bit in the middle kept in focus.

The lighting is too soft also. In order to have a roof over the pieces, I put a sheet of white paper over the setup and lit it with a desk lamp. I think creepy shadows and dark corners would be better than soft diffused light, but I'm not sure how to control the lighting in such a tiny space.

I wonder if there's a company that makes really tiny 25mm scale photography lights? :lol

Frankly, as soon as my DOE sets arrived I just excitedly started trying out setups and snapping pictures. I'll need to keep experimenting with camera settings if I want to do a better job with these "point of view" type pics.

Transit

jkratzer
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Enter the Den of Evil

Post by jkratzer » Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:16 pm

Transit;

Please excuse me for a minute while I go turn up the thermostat.

WOW!!! Edgar Allen Poe, eat your HEART OUT!

The setup was good on it's own, with the varied levels; but that NARRATIVE! Whoof!

Excellent writing, and damned good layout. The camera work wasn't quite as good as the rest, but that's probably because you had the camera set for auto-focus, didn't you?
AF will getcha every time with close-up work like that.

Still, that storyline made up for it, big-time!

See Ya!

Jim Kratzer

invincibleoverlord
Orc
Orc

Enter the Den of Evil

Post by invincibleoverlord » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:34 pm

OH MAN…I WISH I HAD YOUR WRITING SKILLS!!!!!!

You told that story so well; And with no miniatures or anything! I felt like I was in the head of the storyteller, like in a book. Very cool Transit!

Transit
Goblin
Goblin

Enter the Den of Evil

Post by Transit » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:20 pm

I didn't like the thumbnails, so I've reposted the pics with a little Lovecraft-style commentary.

Ghenghis Ska: Yeah, something about this set really calls for multi level setups. The Den of Evil should LOOM over the adventurers traveling through it.

invincibleoverlord: You are the master of "adding a few minatures and props." I'd love to see what you'd do with Den of Evil. Another two hundred sets have just gone on sale. The rest will be available next summer.

Return to “COOL PHOTOS OF DF SETS!”