Pipe Dreaming

serraangel
Goblin
Goblin

Pipe Dreaming

Post by serraangel » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:38 am

If you stand one of those straight pipes upright on a hatch and cut an opening in it you would have a transport
tube. Or add some ladder rungs and it is an access hatchway. I am going to have to get my Sci-Fi sets out and
make a trip to Ace Hardware. I saw something there the other day that I am now thinking would make a cool
transporter pad. I must look for it again.

Must get more Alpha sets. I wish they sold those hatches separately. I would buy a ton just for this.

Serra Angel

serraangel
Goblin
Goblin

Pipe Dreaming

Post by serraangel » Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:59 pm

Hmmm..

Wonder what you could do with these pipes for a fantasy setting?

Lose the stripes, add some rust and stagnant water and you have the start for a sewer system leading into
your dungeon or caves. Would not need as much pipe interspersed. I just had my hot water heater replaced
and they left behind a few copper pipe segments. Those could work too.

Serra Angel

serraangel
Goblin
Goblin

Pipe Dreaming

Post by serraangel » Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:03 pm

What a fantastic addition to the DF Sci-Fi sets.

And so simple.

Fantasy sets first but soon Sci-Fi.

I like that it's not invasive cutting and mostly just optional additions, because I don't have as many
Sci-Fi pieces.

Sorry to hear about the hurricane. I was hit by a Tornado in 98 and to this day there are still things
in my house not fixed properly. It literally put an oak tree through my master bedroom and trashed
more than half of my Magic Cards. I've given that hobby up now. When people asked me how it
felt to go through a tornado I usually just say "it is no fun". The limbs took out about 3/4 of the roof
and the night of heavy rain flooded most of the house. I was 6 months before we could move back in.

Best wishes on getting your life back to normal ASAP.

Serra Angel

jkratzer
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Pipe Dreaming

Post by jkratzer » Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:13 am

Well, I can see I have to buy LOTS MORE FLOOR AND HATCH TILES!!!!!
IO, you DA MAN!
Although, with the Spidey/Doc Oc diorama, I have to say you are one seriously TWISTED DUDE. Almost as bad as me and the Rabid Fox.

And by the way, I LOVE your sig line! I wonder if I could get one of those, with an autosensing charm on it so it could tell when MY back itches?

Since it's been a month-plus since the 'cane, is the roof back on yet? I hope so, and I hope you and yours are doing well.

See ya!

Jim Kratzer

whitewind
Minotaur
Minotaur

Pipe Dreaming

Post by whitewind » Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:12 pm

Once again thanks for the advice here. Can't wait till thrusday to start. You just sanded with paper the little letters on the elbows or were you lucky enough to find some without raised lettering. I used a xacto and will go over it again with some sand paper to make it somewhat smooth.

invincibleoverlord
Orc
Orc

Pipe Dreaming

Post by invincibleoverlord » Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:02 pm

Whitewind,

The Plastructs pipes bend…nice and easy. glue one side first, let dry, bend, glue the otherside.

whitewind
Minotaur
Minotaur

Pipe Dreaming

Post by whitewind » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:59 pm

Hey IO, thanks much for the advice. I picked up two elbows but noticed they had some letters and such raised on them. I just got the two to see if this was redally shaved down. I did faily well doing that so that will not be a prob. Did you melt the plastic stuff to make the bend in the pipe? With a lighter? Maybe I can find some stuff that will already have a bend. I have to wait till thursday cause I am off work.... I will post pics of my progress if anyone is interested.

invincibleoverlord
Orc
Orc

Pipe Dreaming

Post by invincibleoverlord » Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:17 pm

Tanks for the comps gang!

whitewind wrote:

You use just a xacto knife to cut the plastic? A dremel to do the tapering????

No, I used a miter box and saw to cut the PVC and sandpaper to do the tapering. Measuring is important here, a blades width can throw the cut off. The sizes I cut were 4 ¼" and 6 ¼". Other sizes would work in increments of 2"--- 8 ¼", 10 ¼", etc.

I don't suppose you could remember what exact plasitc strew stuff you used?

No, I just had some loose materials. These pipes could be made a lot better with some of the cool pieces that Plastructs makes. Take a look at what they have.

MLV wrote:

the Edges of the Sci-Fi Pieces are Probably the Most Utilitarian of all of the Sets Because You Can Set them on End (Like You Have with the Triangular Floors), and the Edges Look "Correct"...

Very true.

MyLordVoid
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Pipe Dreaming

Post by MyLordVoid » Sun Nov 13, 2005 4:38 pm

IO,

maj!!! I Love this Look... And You Have Expertly Shown What I have Been Saying for a Long time, which is that the Edges of the Sci-Fi Pieces are Probably the Most Utilitarian of all of the Sets Because You Can Set them on End (Like You Have with the Triangular Floors), and the Edges Look "Correct"... You Just Can not do this with Fantasy or DoE... Because of the Little Skeletons, Dirt Etc... Great job...

WhiteWind,

Hobby/Model Railroad Shops are the Best for Locating Plastruct, Some times Office and Art Supply Stores Carry it as Well...

whitewind
Minotaur
Minotaur

Pipe Dreaming

Post by whitewind » Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:55 pm

I don't suppose you could remember what exact plasitc strew stuff you used? we have alocal train builder hobby place. I thnk I'll go there.

Return to “COOL PHOTOS OF DF SETS!”