Lava Caverns and Lava Rivers

jericho
Ogre
Ogre

Re:Lava Caverns and Lava Rivers

Post by jericho » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:56 am

bbrown365 wrote:

I was pleasantly surprised at how good the Lava River KS pieces look next to the Den of Evil: Hellscape sets. Motivated me to acquire a few more resin sets.

I am thinking about just buying a lava river set - I wonder how good it looks next to the dwarvenite caverns? I sort of like the idea of a lava river busting through a cavern rather than an entire dedicated one. I will probably crack and just buy a lava cavern set or two though.

Undel
Orc
Orc

Post by Undel » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:27 am

I bought all unpainted for the Kickstarter. I enjoy painting miniatures, so painting them is as much a treat as using them.

However, I'm kicking myself over not picking up the prepainted lava sets. They turned out really nice! I love the warm glow to them.

bbrown365
Kobold
Kobold

Post by bbrown365 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:40 am

I was pleasantly surprised at how good the Lava River KS pieces look next to the Den of Evil: Hellscape sets. Motivated me to acquire a few more resin sets.

Attachments
lavaSet.gif
lavaSet.gif (0 Bytes) Viewed 7604 times
20141202_021735.jpg
20141202_021735.jpg (260.25 KiB) Viewed 7604 times

Zaltar of Valoria
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Zaltar of Valoria » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:36 am

pacarat wrote:

Magniopi wrote:
D'oh! Wrong picture uploaded.

The shore part of the pieces look fine (though I will wait until my stuff arrives (I'm one of The 30!) to make final appraisal - I'm curious how the base material being bright yellow will affect overall appearance.) I love the variation, striations, cracks, etc that reflect the marvelous detail in Stefan's sculpting.

Having said that, I'm very disappointed by what I see here. Compare the above photo with the one (below) shown during the KS:

In looking at the lava "river" portions of the production tiles, I'm underwhelmed by the contrast of the flat boring lava "river" in comparison to the detailed/varied "shore".

What is disappointing to me is the bare bones triad of color, with plain, almost straight lines, hard transitions, and no variation or shading as shown in the example. The example has at least four,five, or even more shades, with much variation along the transitions, giving a very organic and natural look.

I bought five painted sets based on the examples (which in my mind are beautiful and certainly qualify as "expertly hand painted") and based on the accompanying text: "The lava river pieces shown are prototype only. The production pieces will have much better fit and finish."

What I see in the production pieces comes no where close to that.

I have to agree with you. They did not come through completely on that at the factory for whatever reason....while the fitting IS better, the painting of the flat part of the lava is.....Meh

If you wish to send them back I will refund you no problem. And I apologise. Within the huge undertaking that it was the factory dropped the ball on that part and I own up to it. while i cannot fix it or send you a replacement for that part I can certainly refund you for it.
please contact dwarvenforgeinfo@gmail.com to arrange it...

terribly sorry

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:04 pm

I don't want to be dismissive, because i agree the Lava river is the big disappointment of this KS, but at least this is easy to fix. The hard part about painting these tiles is the black over color (a lot more difficult than a light drybrush for some inexplicable reason) and the land portions look fantastic. The rivers will be fairly easy to paint over with three colors a little mixing and some random blotchiness to make them look more naturalistic. Yes, you shouldn't have to repaint over something you purchased painted, but at least the hard part looks good.
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

pacarat
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by pacarat » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:49 pm

Magniopi wrote:

D'oh! Wrong picture uploaded.

The shore part of the pieces look fine (though I will wait until my stuff arrives (I'm one of The 30!) to make final appraisal - I'm curious how the base material being bright yellow will affect overall appearance.) I love the variation, striations, cracks, etc that reflect the marvelous detail in Stefan's sculpting.

Having said that, I'm very disappointed by what I see here. Compare the above photo with the one (below) shown during the KS:

In looking at the lava "river" portions of the production tiles, I'm underwhelmed by the contrast of the flat boring lava "river" in comparison to the detailed/varied "shore".

What is disappointing to me is the bare bones triad of color, with plain, almost straight lines, hard transitions, and no variation or shading as shown in the example. The example has at least four,five, or even more shades, with much variation along the transitions, giving a very organic and natural look.

I bought five painted sets based on the examples (which in my mind are beautiful and certainly qualify as "expertly hand painted") and based on the accompanying text: "The lava river pieces shown are prototype only. The production pieces will have much better fit and finish."

What I see in the production pieces comes no where close to that.

Fizzikx
Orc
Orc

Post by Fizzikx » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:35 pm

Speaking of molding, does anybody know of a Green-Stuff type product that dries clear??

Thanks much! Awesome Lava Falls WIP!

Kradlo
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Kradlo » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:16 pm

That setup looks great! I only got one each of the lava sets (so far), but will definitely invest in more down the road.

As for the lava falls, I'm looking forward to the finished product.
Make Mine Master Maze!

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:45 pm

tattooedtoad wrote:

Thanks been. Thinking. On getting. The stuff to do some. Molding any suggestions

Check out my post here: http://www.dwarvenforge.com/forum?func= ... 0176#70195

I didn't mention that there are quicker curing silicones and resins in the 14NV and 300 series, if you are planning on casting a lot, but you then have to worry more about bubbles.
If you aren't gaming then you aren't living.

tattooedtoad
Orc
Orc

Post by tattooedtoad » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:38 pm

Thanks been. Thinking. On getting. The stuff to do some. Molding any suggestions

Return to “COOL PHOTOS OF DF SETS!”