Lava Caverns and Lava Rivers

tattooedtoad
Orc
Orc

Re:Lava Caverns and Lava Rivers

Post by tattooedtoad » Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:33 pm

The fitting I did as I went was a bit sticky though.but I think they ended up fitting better unfortunately I didn't get the lava cavern or rivers ran out of money and after my friend got his I knew I had to do something. I'm eventually going to make copies it's the progression of the sculpts I think it would be anew level of experience for me. I will let you know when I do make molds and copies.

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:33 pm

tattooedtoad wrote:

The lava falls painted I've got an out
crop for the center will post more pics when i get them finished€:

Wow! Those look amazing. They really do convey a sense of thick molten rock glopping over the edge and folding in those layers with the bubbling, all such great attention to detail, movement and form.

Are these a one-off or are you casting these?... if so, what would you be willing to charge so I could get a set?
If you aren't gaming then you aren't living.

Kradlo
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Kradlo » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:03 am

The lava falls look terrific! Great job!
Make Mine Master Maze!

Crimson_King_of_the_Tower
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Crimson_King_of_the_Tower » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:00 am

@tattoedtoad I love the lava falls I have actually been working on the same thing for a while but for just regular waterfalls. The problem I ran into was I tried to make mine before I received my KS so it was all guess work and they didnt match up with my river tiles as well as I wanted (I made the water recess too deep). Another problem I had was getting them to sit flush next to each other how did you go about doing it so well? I used sculpey then baked it and tried sanding the sides down but I never could get them even so any insight would be awesome here is the link to mine for reference http://www.dwarvenforge.com/forum?func= ... 3&id=70239

tattooedtoad
Orc
Orc

Post by tattooedtoad » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:33 am

The lava falls painted I've got an out
crop for the center will post more pics when i get them finished€:

Attachments
IMAG0494_1.jpg
IMAG0494_1.jpg (108.58 KiB) Viewed 3205 times
IMAG0493_1.jpg
IMAG0493_1.jpg (91.38 KiB) Viewed 3205 times

bbrown365
Kobold
Kobold

Post by bbrown365 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:16 pm

@jasdotcom

The shores of the Lava Cavern pieces have an ash color drybrush that looks pretty close to the Hellscape color scheme to my eye. Maybe Stefan can clue use in on the color used for it.

jasdotcom
Ogre
Ogre

Post by jasdotcom » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:44 pm

jericho wrote:

bbrown365 wrote:

I'm no painter but it looks like the new lava pieces are only one dry-brush away (lt grey+lavender?)from closely matching the color of the Hellscape set. Does anyone else agree?

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:34 pm

As someone who has them in hand, I feel the rivers are "adequate." They do not look bad on the table, but they are not show quality (at least the river portion is not). They do their job and they do it well. I feel that the lava set is above average and I like the decision to use yellow dwarvenite as it looks "hotter" than the dungeon gray. While I wish the lava river was better it suits its need well.

I feel and easy fix (depending on skill level) for a lot of people can be to add texture or magma bubbles to the flow. A little superglue or other compound to just make it not so flat and then a paint touch up might be a good option.
100 Resin and 237 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

JenneyOC
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by JenneyOC » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:36 pm

There seeems to be two camps... one which may return their lava sets and another who wants to obtain more.

Sounds like it just might actually even out.

pacarat
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by pacarat » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:04 am

Stefan wrote:

I have to agree with you. They did not come through completely on that at the factory for whatever reason....while the fitting IS better, the painting of the flat part of the lava is.....Meh

If you wish to send them back I will refund you no problem. And I apologise. Within the huge undertaking that it was the factory dropped the ball on that part and I own up to it. while i cannot fix it or send you a replacement for that part I can certainly refund you for it.
please contact dwarvenforgeinfo@gmail.com to arrange it...

terribly sorry

Thanks for the frank reply and generous offer, Stefan. And yeah, "Meh" is about right... ;-)

I'll hold off on any decision until I see the tiles first hand.

Return to “COOL PHOTOS OF DF SETS!”