Cavern Test paint

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re:Cavern Test paint

Post by AnimeSensei » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:17 pm

Oh, and who's tiles did you manage to hijack to do this? I know you were talking about it! ;)
100 Resin and 237 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

LadySabelle
Ogre
Ogre

Post by LadySabelle » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:40 pm

My sets arrived last Friday, and if it wasn't for the fact that I've been sick since last Wednesday, I'd probably have 5 sets painted instead of 2. As it is, my fever and coughing has limited my time painting.

As for the purple, it isn't as bright in normal lighting as it looks in the photos. I used a metallic paint so it really reflects the flash from the camera. Since I'm painting the rock formations to look more like fanciful mushrooms, I wanted them to have a little bit of a shine to contrast with the very flat look of the walls.

One minor detail I've been trying to decide if I want to fix in some way is the fact that this sort of cave would look more...wet. As it is right now, the walls and floors look very dry. The water pools have nail polish to make them look wet, but everything else is dry. There are so many great cracks and crevasses on these pieces that are crying out for moisture that its very tempting to go crazy with the nail polish or to pull out the 2-part epoxy and a toothpick. (Or any number of other water options)
Unless I specifically state that my information is directly from Valoria, my comments are just my own opinions.
http://ladysabelledesigns.com/

Undel
Orc
Orc

Post by Undel » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:31 pm

Kryzsko did some really neat water effects in the cracks of their tiles that inspired me to try it too. http://www.dwarvenforge.com/forum?func= ... 0&id=71698

If you want wet caverns, it's not too difficult to achieve. (especially with the amount of crafting knowledge you have!) You don't even need a mold for most tiles for epoxy, and can just clean up the overrun as it cures.

Oldmanwillow
Orc
Orc

Post by Oldmanwillow » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:57 pm

I like two part epoxy resin for some things but I feel Woodland Scenics Realistic Water is easier to use.There is less chance for trapped air. This is the Realistic water over Dwarven Forge deep water green. The pink foam and packing tape dam will make a sharp edge if one is required.

The river section in the foreground was done with epoxy.You can see the trapped air bubbles. There is no mixing with Realistic Water.

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:00 pm

Those look great Lady Shurri ;-), hope my paint job comes out half as good. I see you infused a redish look to the one brown color, it kind-of hints at the red rocks in Utah. I'm going to try to match some of mine to the resin sets if possible to add some smaller pieces with my older Master Maze sets.

I'm not seeing a lot of the dark dwarvenite color. When you say "heavy handed" on the base coat, does that mean you got down into the cracks with the base color? I was wondering how the 'beach' type floor would fit in when done in similar colors, it fits in quite well. Undel did a cool thing with hers adding 'water' up into that 'beach' piece.

I'm still deciding (playing with) if I need to cut anymore pieces. I think I need to do a few more 1x2 floors and walls. Wish Stefan would spill some beans on the possibility of an advanced builder set and what it might contain.

Thank you for the inspiration, I'll come back to this thread when I finally get around to painting mine. Keep up the great work Lady S. :-)
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

Oldmanwillow
Orc
Orc

Post by Oldmanwillow » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:10 pm

I found the colors needed to match the color chart today.I will see if I Can get that kind of result

LadySabelle
Ogre
Ogre

Post by LadySabelle » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:55 pm

What I meant by "heavy handed" is more like a very sloppy dry brushing. So about half of the deepest cracks got coated in the darkest color. I wanted the overall walls to be a little lighter but at the same time I didn't want to actually base coat the whole thing. In other words I didn't really wipe off much of the paint (if any at all) before applying the paint to each piece. Here's an example of what I mean.

The effect is that some of the stones look a little grayer than others once the lighter dry brushing is added. I paint the colors on in the order they are on the card. So the medium brown, green and yellow is added before I dry brush with the two lighter tans and the stone edge (on the "drips"). Then I add the gold and any accent colors.
Attachments
DSC_0711w.jpg
DSC_0711w.jpg (480.33 KiB) Viewed 4528 times
Unless I specifically state that my information is directly from Valoria, my comments are just my own opinions.

brvheart
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by brvheart » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:34 pm

That "sloppy" dry brush looks sort of like the cover of my first coat on KS1, but you kind of want that for the base coat.

LadySabelle
Ogre
Ogre

Post by LadySabelle » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:16 pm

Another quick setup with some custom mushrooms and my Hirst Arts test piece.

Attachments
DSC_0722w.jpg
DSC_0722w.jpg (294.18 KiB) Viewed 4643 times
DSC_0714w.jpg
DSC_0714w.jpg (448.03 KiB) Viewed 4643 times
DSC_0713w.jpg
DSC_0713w.jpg (481.95 KiB) Viewed 4643 times
DSC_0712w.jpg
DSC_0712w.jpg (484.64 KiB) Viewed 4643 times

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:36 pm

Love the mushrooms!

I'm not as sold on Hirst Arts within these caverns though; the HA models are too smooth. I had some saved from the Iron Rings Games "Labyrinths" kickstarter to insert into my DF caverns, but I think I'll just do them all as an alternate theme.
100 Resin and 237 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Return to “COOL PHOTOS OF DF SETS!”