Cavern Test paint

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re:Cavern Test paint

Post by AnimeSensei » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:52 pm

Yeah, the Dragons Don't Share was an insane value. I think I got 3-4.
102 Resin and 212 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

LadySabelle
Ogre
Ogre

Post by LadySabelle » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:30 pm

I have 10 of the "Dragons don't share" sets along with the close to 150 minis in core and another 100 or so from add-on sets. I trust Reaper but its hard to be patient! I'm just happy that I've at least gotten my caverns on time. (I was looking forward to them more than Bones II)
Unless I specifically state that my information is directly from Valoria, my comments are just my own opinions.
http://ladysabelledesigns.com/

Undel
Orc
Orc

Post by Undel » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:09 pm

It's a good plan! I was surprised and happy to see paints I recognized from the forums. Good luck with the sale!

Poor Bones. Reaper's doing a great job keeping everyone update. Having circumstances outside of your control affecting your ability to provide your customers with good service has got to be frustrating. On the positive side, maybe you'll have most of your DF terrain painted up by the time bones arrives so you can set aside some time for the minis from that you want to paint up. I'm hoping to do something along those lines. It's daunting to have this many unpainted tiles and 100+ bones (however many we're getting, I forget the exact number) on the way on top of that.

LadySabelle
Ogre
Ogre

Post by LadySabelle » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:12 pm

I promised my husband I'd sell a few of the sets to help pay for my new vacuum pump (not to mention the money I threw into Zealot's kickstarter). If it wasn't for the fact that I've got to have the money for the sale before the new year (for tax purposes), I'd be waiting until I was finished painting everything. If it was all painted and my husband was looking at how cool everything looked together, he might have changed his mind and let me keep everything. I'll probably have to sell 3-4 sets before he's satisfied. I'm hurting at the moment because the plan was to sell a bunch of the Bones II minis and since there's no telling when those will actually ship.... I was forced to give up some of the caverns instead. Sigh. Why, oh why can't I just win the lottery?
Unless I specifically state that my information is directly from Valoria, my comments are just my own opinions.

Undel
Orc
Orc

Post by Undel » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:07 pm

I just saw these pop up on ebay! "I know that paint scheme..."

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:04 am

Very cool, thanks for the lesson/tips. ;-)
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

LadySabelle
Ogre
Ogre

Post by LadySabelle » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:30 pm

William, The mushrooms are cast using Hyrdrostone. To make the clusters you need a spray bottle with water, a small sheet of plastic, a spoon, a toothpick, some water and some dry hydrostone.

First I mix a small amount of hydrostone directly on the sheet of plastic. (I'm using a piece of heavy mil plastic drop cloth)

Then I spray or dip the bottom of each of the mushrooms and stick it into the wet hydrostone.

Finally I sprinkle some dry hydrostone onto the still wet bases and let the whole thing cure for about an hour.

Once they are dry enough to move, I brush off the extra dry hydrostone. I leave them overnight and paint them the next day. Obviously they can't be handled as carelessly as the Dwarvenite can but I like the added color and interest they bring to the caverns.
Attachments
DSC_0728.JPG
DSC_0728.JPG (478.51 KiB) Viewed 3764 times
DSC_0727.JPG
DSC_0727.JPG (365.98 KiB) Viewed 3764 times
DSC_0726.JPG
DSC_0726.JPG (342.24 KiB) Viewed 3764 times
DSC_0725.JPG
DSC_0725.JPG (383.75 KiB) Viewed 3764 times

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:57 pm

Lady Sabelle, you mentioned the mushroom mold was of individual mushrooms, but I see many sizes, so I assume the mold has a few different singles. Then once you make copies to mount, what is your base material you mounted them to. Will that require baking or is it an epoxy type material? Can you bake the resin pieces with a sculpey base? I'm still too much of a newbie to get these multi-part pieces.
... They look Great!
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

LadySabelle
Ogre
Ogre

Post by LadySabelle » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:41 pm

I think that large Hirst Arts cavern sections would have some difficulty blending together with DF, but a few stalagmite sections like this one aren't bad. Mostly I just wanted to throw in the test piece to see how well I managed to match the colors on it.

I did a mold of individual mushrooms and wanted to see how hard it was going to be to make up small groupings. It was surprisingly easy, so I'll be making a bunch more. The hardest part was painting the tiny buggers!

Undel
Orc
Orc

Post by Undel » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:02 pm

I think that at a glance, the hirst arts piece blends in pretty well! If I stare at it a while, I do notice the texture discrepancy mentioned, but I don't think that it's a large enough difference that it would put me off using the hirst arts pieces mixed in.

This is a pretty wild cavern. I love it!

Return to “COOL PHOTOS OF DF SETS!”