My very own expansion set for MBS, including roof

crioux
Orc
Orc

Re:My very own expansion set for MBS, including roof

Post by crioux » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:11 pm

I thought of all of this already, there is a way to have something modular that will work up to a certain size.
but you understand that I can't post ideas here like I did in the past, for fear of get them stolen. This is not a simple mod, it is a brand new system.

I send them to Stefan, and if he choose not to use them, I might offer them to someone else, or (more probable) making them public.

Teulisch
Orc
Orc

Post by Teulisch » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:50 am

thinking about it, a modular roof framework could be doable. it just depends how simple or complex you want it to be. make the visible exterior out of dwarvinite so its more durable, then add a framework with connectors inside that. this could be as simple as a metal screw, support beam, and wing nut combo. if the screw has a square head and is painted on top, it could fit seamlessly with some roof designs.

not sure how practical this idea would end up being, but a modular roof set could allow for a lot of variation, including possible rooftop balconies.

on the one hand, a small 3x3 or the like would be a good basic unit, but a 3x3 hollow framework could allow for more variation with just corner and straight pieces, and wall segments that can fit in an open end. so 4 corners would allow 6x6, or you could use 4 corners, 4 straight, and a flat roof for a 9x9, with an optional 3x3 balcony or other structure on top.

the main problem with this idea, would be securing the framework from below, allowing enough room for hands to add or remove the wing nut. other latching systems could work as well.
25 resin sets, 5 KS1 sets, 5 KS2 sets, KS3 Village/Sewer/Streets

crioux
Orc
Orc

Post by crioux » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:39 am

BTW, it's been a few years since I posted those. I improved a lot on these since then, but instead of posted it here, I'll send them to stefan, in case he might do something like this in the future.

crioux
Orc
Orc

Post by crioux » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:35 am

Making a lot of different roofs with different sizes would requirte a lot of different molds, so it would be very costly.

On the other ways, you can't have a modular system that fit all and every configurations and sizes, that would be very costly and compelx to setup.

I have a current roof system (not shown here) that can make quite a lot of different roof sizes and configurations, and requires only 3 or 4 modules.
That would requires less molds and be enough for most setup (except very large ones). I think that would be the way to go.
I'll send pictures to Stefan.

jericho
Ogre
Ogre

Post by jericho » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:44 am

Stefan wrote:

jackattack wrote:
Probably best to do roofs once, as a fully realized and designed project, than to do "some simple ones" followed by "better ones later". There's not much incentive to buy the simple ones if we know better is on the way, and not many would be thrilled to find out (by surprise) they'd bought something that will be surpassed by a superior version later.

what I meant is, simple being a single roof you lift off...this will always be useable even if latter we design roofs that can be T shaped or L shaped, etc...please...I would never bait and switch...

Anyway, we shall see...still early...I'm calling in design help as well from guys smarter than me! So it will be awesome I am sure

I actually prefer the simple single roofs that you lift off - various common sizes and themes. There is a fine line between modularity, usability, and aestheticism that you are very good at hitting just right. I hope you keep those skills in the mix when you call in these smarty pants roof engineers.

crioux
Orc
Orc

Post by crioux » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:29 am

I had make a few small improvement on this roof system and MBS add-ons after a few years, but did not worked much in it, focusing on other other projects to be revealed later, like modular pirate ship.
Stefan might be interested in roof for a later kickstarter, so maybe I will try to improve on the system and make it more modular when I have some time

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:56 pm

jackattack wrote:

Probably best to do roofs once, as a fully realized and designed project, than to do "some simple ones" followed by "better ones later". There's not much incentive to buy the simple ones if we know better is on the way, and not many would be thrilled to find out (by surprise) they'd bought something that will be surpassed by a superior version later.

I think if you look at 'simple' as in 'one piece' like some are suggesting and like what can already be found on ebay, and 'better ones' as being modular then I think there's a potential market for them.... whether the numbers would bear that out, I couldn't say, but I can give a perspective on single roof pieces as I have a few resin buildings from Tabletop World and Games & Gears which have a single, removable roof. You can't beat it for ease of use and convenience when trying to get access to the inside of it, that's for sure.

On the other hand, I would love a usable system of modular roof pieces that could work for a larger number of building layouts with building tiles.
If you aren't gaming then you aren't living.

Audles
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Audles » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:53 pm

I'm really glad roofs are on the radar. I'm looking forward to it! Plus it's fun to see the inside of the process of getting products made. Anyway, +1 for roofs.

Zaltar of Valoria
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Zaltar of Valoria » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:26 pm

jackattack wrote:

what I meant is, simple being a single roof you lift off...this will always be useable even if latter we design roofs that can be T shaped or L shaped, etc...please...I would never bait and switch...

Anyway, we shall see...still early...I'm calling in design help as well from guys smarter than me! So it will be awesome I am sure

biowizard
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by biowizard » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:44 am

Stefan,

I'll send you crioux's phone # through Facebook.
I hope it works, I'm bad with FB.

Return to “COOL PHOTOS OF DF SETS!”