4 floor designs ROTA repaint

biowizard
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: 4 floor designs ROTA repaint

Post by biowizard » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:31 pm

Sorry I did not reply sooner to your request astolat. I don't frequent the forum as often as I would want these days.

I did not find a color match for the "mortar" part of the pieces but I did not look for it either. My solution was to do a painstakingly long and careful white dry brushing over the tiles, avoiding to touch the mortar. I'm glad you found a faster solution using pens (beautiful work by the way) that fit your needs and I'm also glad I inspired you.

Cheers,
Bio

JK - 123456
Goblin
Goblin

Post by JK - 123456 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:32 pm

great job guys!

time for DF to make magnetic mosaics for the walls and floors - these are fantastic. Wish so badly for a set or two of Realm of Ancients... but fear i came to the party far too late... never mind trying to pick up the entrance for the set.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:26 pm

They look Amazing astolat - fab job :)

Really not helping us resist buying a ticket for the DF Resin train
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:07 am

I think it looks great, I'll have to think about those pens even more now.
I see someone on eBay selling 4 of these original painted ones, but for $800+ I can't pull that over on my wife.
Thanks for showing all of us. :)
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

astolat
Orc
Orc

Post by astolat » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:57 am

I haven't yet gotten a paint match for the mortar to clean up the scattering of places where my hand slipped a bit, but here's mine! Pattern copied shamelessly from Biowizard's post with very minor additions. :)

I will say that using markers makes this MASSIVELY easier; I can't imagine doing it with a brush. I used the 0.7mm Uni-Posca paint markers in white, blue, metallic blue, and pink. Almost everything went on in one coat except the white, which needed a second coat in a few places. The metallic green didn't show up very well even though I really wanted to do blue and green, so I went with the pink. I also did a black wash on the larger bits of white because it was a little too stark white; I'm thinking about a second wash on some of them and maybe doing it on those big metallic blue ones.

JK - 123456
Goblin
Goblin

Post by JK - 123456 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:12 am

stunning... almost requires a re-release of mosaic type flooring for the future just so people can follow your lead...

astolat
Orc
Orc

Post by astolat » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:39 pm

biowizard wrote:
Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:49 pm
Having recently bought my 2 first ROTA sets, here is my attempt at painting the 4*4 rooms. In my mind, these are the most deserving pieces to receive the many many many hours necessary for completing such a task.
Biowizard, I resurrect this thread to ask if you happen to have come up with a good paint match for the mortar color--I am working on doing a repaint of my own and can already see I will need to be able to do some fixes and cover ups at the end. :P Before I dive into trying to come up with a match for that color, I thought you might have worked out how to do it.

Shadox
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Shadox » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:49 pm

I am going to have to dig mine out and submit. I was also inspired. Coming soon.

-Shadox

Feymous
Orc
Orc

Post by Feymous » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:59 am

This post first inspired me to take a paint brush to my beloved resin pieces. I've always been pleased with the results.

Thanks biowizard! :)

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:16 am

biowizard wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:20 pm
It always warms my heart to see this thread bumped.

Could you guys believe that in the last 7 years since I painted those, we got to use the pieces only once for gaming purposes? They are beautiful but perhaps too beautiful for generic D&D use. But then, I'm not the DM.
Amazing detail Biowizard. I'm with Stefano, the Green and Blue are my favorites.
Thanks for the post, I can't believe I've never commented on them before. I might have been a tiny bit jealous at the time I saw the pictures. :oops: Great job on them. :) 8-)

I always love looking at these and now that I'm getting my first RotA sets (delivery soon) I'm wondering if anyone has ever done this type of repaint on the 6x6 RotA floor? Is it even a candidate for a pattern similar to these? I don't think I've seen a clean top-down picture of that tile.

Just thinking while waiting... Ho-hum-di-dum-di-dum-di-dum, sure wish they would get here already. :|
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )