Really nice storage system!
/Papa Troll

Thod
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re:Static Storage Solution: Steel Flat File Cabinets

Post by Thod » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:34 pm

Dave

You get them here in the UK as well. Google for Architectual Flat Plan storage.

I did spot a wooden option when I googled - but it was only 1 7/8 height inside which misses a crucial half inch.

Looking at this I have the cheap wooden Ikea solution for flat A3. 3 next to each other. 15 levels.

The arichtectual plans are for A1 and A0. The problem is - they start to get very, very deep. I admit my ones are not deep enough. I have them in a typical Victorian niche next to a former fireplace. And I put in shelfing between 5 layers as I wouldn't date to stack them that high.

There have been some pictures here in the past.

Maybe 2 A3 next to each other would be the sweet spot for me. Deeper as the current solution but still fitting in. Off course - a solution like Crioux custom drawer is unsurpassed. I heard Geek Chic was talking with Stefan. Actually I dragged him over to the stall last year. Not sure anything ever happened about a DF vs GeekChic drawer exchange.

This would be something I would love to see.

Thod

Pusherman
Orc
Orc

Post by Pusherman » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:50 am

thats a cracking solution and looks great. I'll stick with the really useful boxes as i need to transport my stuff about but if I didn't have to I would definitly be in the market for one of those.

David Wasilewski
Orc
Orc

Post by David Wasilewski » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:46 am

I wonder if they sell these in the UK?.......
Good find.
Dave

Shadox
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Shadox » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:58 pm

c'est magnifique!

-Shadox

Thod
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Thod » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:42 pm

Bio wizard

Thanks for sharing. I was thinking about some steel cabinets in the past. I just measured - I have 41 inches, 42 if I sacrifice some skirting boards. But I don't have the necessary depth.

I likely would try some subdividers. My wife got some great ones for her large custom made kitchen drawer. I think IKEA. The bigger the drawers, the less you lose for the large pieces. But it can help to have some subdividers for smaller pieces so they don't look completely lost.

biowizard
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by biowizard » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:08 pm

Now, here are some pictures of two drawers in action!
Flat file cabinet drawer 1 1200 pixels.jpg
Flat file cabinet drawer 1 1200 pixels.jpg (492.63 KiB) Viewed 4355 times
It contains 5 Sets: 2 Wicked Addition Sets, 2 Advanced Builder Sets, 1 Fantasy Floor Set + various other single pieces.
Flat file cabinet drawer 2 1200 pixels.jpg
Flat file cabinet drawer 2 1200 pixels.jpg (535.76 KiB) Viewed 4355 times
It contains 5 Sets: 2 Cavernous Rivers & Walls Sets, 1 Cavernous Lake Set, 1 Cavernous Passage Set & 1 Cavernous Lake Open Water tile (Set of 10).

This means that each drawers can hold 4-5 Sets each.

Finally, I believe that investing in those kind of drawers represent about only 10% of the total value of your DF collection and it is a relatively "cheap" way to raise the value/usefulness/versatility of your DF collection!
Attachments
Flat_file_cabinet_drawer_2_1200_pixels.jpg
Flat_file_cabinet_drawer_2_1200_pixels.jpg (330.92 KiB) Viewed 4475 times
Flat_file_cabinet_drawer_1_1200_pixels.jpg
Flat_file_cabinet_drawer_1_1200_pixels.jpg (299.29 KiB) Viewed 4475 times
Last edited by biowizard on Sat May 23, 2015 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

biowizard
Minotaur
Minotaur

Static Storage Solution: Steel Flat File Cabinets

Post by biowizard » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:54 pm

I have long been wondering what type of storage solution would best fit my needs for storing my 35+ Sets of Dwarven Forge. My 2 main concerns in choosing a storage solution were: (1) ease of access to each and every DF resin pieces fast during game play & (2) esthetically good-looking and tidy once not in use. The widely used storage solution with "Really Useful boxes" did not satisfy me regarding those 2 points and in my mind is more useful to someone traveling with its DF collection (not me).

Here, I was evaluating whether a Steel Flat File cabinet would do it. It so happens to be a perfect fit!

Within all the Flat File Cabinets available on the market, I found that Safco's model 4996 (for storing documents measuring 30" * 42", link) and Mayline's C-Files (for storing documents measuring 30" * 42", link) are the best. The storage depth of those drawers are respectively 2 1/8 inches and 2 5/8 inches and each single drawer can hold 60 pounds and more! Those units of 5 drawers can be stacked on top of each other up to five high and are very sturdy and weigh more than 150 pounds each! They are also available in smaller dimensions (for storing documents measuring 24" * 36"; although I'm not sure how many Sets would fit per drawers) and wider dimensions (for storing documents measuring 36" * 48"; although I'm not sure anyone will have the room for such huge cabinet and I'm not sure if the weight of 6 Sets per drawer would not make them bend).

I found and bought from eBay a Set of Two black 5-drawer units 4996 from Safco for $500 total, including delivery from New-York to Boston. This is about 4 times cheaper than buying it new from the cheapest distributor I found (http://www.engineersupply.com). This is also only 60% more costly than using Really Useful Boxes. It took me about 2 months to find the right deal on eBay as delivery for such a heavy item is tricky or only "local pickup" is available.

Return to “COOL PHOTOS OF DF SETS!”