My collection and how I store it.

zoroaster100
Ogre
Ogre

Re: My collection and how I store it.

Post by zoroaster100 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:08 pm

Very nice collection and storage and organization. Congrats!

Runeweaver
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Runeweaver » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:39 pm

I really like the way that you have things set up. It gives me a few ideas on what I would like to do. I have most of my fiddly bits together as well, but I struggle a little on what should go with what and makes the best sense. The key is I would like things to be intuitive and quick to find, decreases downtime in game.

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:48 pm

Fyi there is an ogres den cheap on ebay riht now

Who knows where it will end
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

pacarat
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by pacarat » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:32 am

I'm assuming you have the black units. Part of the reason I got these is because they look "nice" according to my wife; our game room has to look presentable to both gamers and non-gamers alike. Based on your knowledge of the subject, if you had a gray Alex unit, how would you approach it and keep the appearance up? Left to right instead of front to back maybe?
Yes, black units.

I see no reason why you couldnt go side to side on the supports. I did front to back since it was shorter dimension, and I felt that would provide better support.

If you wanted to do front to back, you could drill from back side as normal, then for the front, drill in from the sides of the support piece at a diagonal, into the back side of the drawer front. Or use thin 7/16" max width right angle brackets.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (221.6 KiB) Viewed 5807 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (292.48 KiB) Viewed 5807 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (313.81 KiB) Viewed 5807 times

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Harneloot » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:23 am

Beautiful seeing it all laid out like that - thanks for posting the pics! (and I am jealous of the number of resin water sets you have!)

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:55 am

Nice list. After reading and viewing the pictures, I'm surprized I have some sets that you don't. But your "still need list" was what gave me a clue. Most of my resin has bow-tie holes due to age of pieces, not sure they will ever get modded.

I'm still in the "storage" proccess (I'm very slow at it) here at the house, but some day I'll do the collection in pictures to show off the flat-file storage. There seems to be several on Craigs List up in the NorthWest lately. A few of the bigger ones have 3" deep drawers, but are also huge units something like 50"x78"x42"tall (too big for me). I have (2) 42"x30"x16"tall (5) 2.25" drawers stacked. I may need more once the City Builder KS arrives.

Very tidy looking storage Zach, did it satisfy your better half? ;)
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:14 am

pacarat wrote: I highly recommend anyone using the Alex drawers reinforce the underside of each shelf.

We have had four units for about a couple years now. I reinforced mine last year, my son and I just did his last weekend.

We saw serious bowing due to weight of resin and dwarvenite in my son's drawers.

I found 7/16" x 1 1/4" wood "stop" at Lowes in 7' lengths. That 7/16" fits perfectly under drawers. We place two (16 5/8" length) supports each 7" in from the side, running front to back. Drill two holes at each end and use 1 1/2" finishing nails to secure in place to drawer frame. Black sharpie to color nail heads to match finish.

Makes a huge difference. The shelf floors are way too thin and wide to support resin or DV long term.
I'm assuming you have the black units. Part of the reason I got these is because they look "nice" according to my wife; our game room has to look presentable to both gamers and non-gamers alike. Based on your knowledge of the subject, if you had a gray Alex unit, how would you approach it and keep the appearance up? Left to right instead of front to back maybe?

Thank you everyone for the kind words. I was kind of embarrassed to post my collection because I do have a lot and I don't like to "show off," but I know it took a LONG time for me to find a storage solution that was within budget. If I can help anyone else out with my ideas, that's my goal.

Also, Kitenerd, thank you for the Octagonal Room Set idea; while I am looking to complete my collection, I am looking for at least one of each piece. :)

I think I need the following:

ROTA Alternate Mosaic Floor
Den of Evil Alternate Hallway
Ogre's Den Treasure Chest
Was there a preorder bonus boat or something that came with the Lake set?
Acid Trap Hallway and long log
Traps Set Swinging Walls (long and short)
Almost an entire RoTA Treasure Set
Medieval Furniture Set Braziers
Deluxe Room Set Wall with Torch (not a high priority however)
Treasure and Magic Item Set 3 different jar pieces
102 Resin and 212 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Runeweaver
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Runeweaver » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:50 pm

kitenerd wrote:Looking again...

Check out how cool the catacomb curved walls are in a cross formation - creates an entire usable second tier - there is a really cool encounter idea there - large crypt with barrel ceiling and a long central wall of alcoves - when the encounter fires it starts as around and around and then becomes up and over with attackers on two tiers

guess i need to start buying catacomb sets ;)
That is kinda cool. That is the light up corner braziers that I believe you are referencing. Let me know if I'm looking at the wrong pic. Might have to use that in a set up.

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:59 pm

Looking again...

Check out how cool the catacomb curved walls are in a cross formation - creates an entire usable second tier - there is a really cool encounter idea there - large crypt with barrel ceiling and a long central wall of alcoves - when the encounter fires it starts as around and around and then becomes up and over with attackers on two tiers

guess i need to start buying catacomb sets ;)
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Vegomatic » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:04 pm

Most impressive! Thanks for sharing!

While I don't expect my collection to ever reach those proportions (I have 4 resin sets and about 40 dwarvenite sets so far). I have enough that I need to start thinking about how to store them effectively. I appreciate the ideas!

As a side note, I wish you were closer, then we could arrange some time to take some photos of sets and individual pieces for the wiki.

Return to “COOL PHOTOS OF DF SETS!”