Caverns to Corral Reef

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Caverns to Corral Reef

Post by William » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:39 am

Green Stuff works well on Dwarvenite and Resin. It sticks fairly easily to rough surfaces, but I roughed up smooth areas (water areas) for better purchase. I would practice with clay as LadySabelle suggests. The Green Stuff starts to harden after a while, were the clay will stay soft until you bake it. Once you start working with the GS you need to be quicker. Also fine detail should wait till it's hardening a bit, because it will settle a bit if done while softer. It's trickier than clay, but you'll get the hang of it.

Here is a thread of green stuff mods (not Coral) on some Dwarvenite, take a look through pages.

http://dwarvenforge.com/forum/viewtopic ... 930#p89930

Good luck Whyteshark.
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

LadySabelle
Ogre
Ogre

Post by LadySabelle » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:14 pm

Here's the underdark paint scheme.
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5876&start=46
Unless I specifically state that my information is directly from Valoria, my comments are just my own opinions.
http://ladysabelledesigns.com/

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:33 pm

I was always fond of the colors in that set. LadySabelle posted a DF cavern painted as Under Dark that was also nice.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

LadySabelle
Ogre
Ogre

Post by LadySabelle » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:05 pm

Thanks for the share, Oldent. :)

It's not that hard to sculpt coral, whyteshark. Google is full of wonderful pictures to use as reference. I'd suggest starting with some cheap polymer clay until you've got the knack. The coral was the first things I'd ever sculpted and I used Sculpey III. Then I made a mold of the successful pieces. At the time I didn't think sculpting was something I was capable of doing, but decided to try anyway. I couldn't find scale coral for sale anywhere, so my only option was to make some myself. I did a few more sculpts every so often, but I still wasn't convinced I could really sculpt anything worthwhile. I only started seriously sculpting a few months before the launch of KS3 and the rest is history.

Feel free to PM me (or just post here) if you have specific questions.

EDIT: The first page of that thread is full of coral that wasn't actually sculpted. It was made with puddles of hydrostone. The actual sculpted coral pics start on page 7 or so.
Unless I specifically state that my information is directly from Valoria, my comments are just my own opinions.
http://ladysabelledesigns.com/

Stormfury
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Stormfury » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:50 pm

Oldent wrote:From the Hirst Art Forum

http://hirstarts.yuku.com/topic/6793/Ne ... 21xaLgrLio
A few cavern sets painted like that would be awesome. Throw in a mountain set as well and it would totally feel like the underdark.
He who laughs last, thinks slowest.

Xeno Syncretic Order - Salvation Through Unity

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:45 pm

OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

whyteshark
Goblin
Goblin

Caverns to Corral Reef

Post by whyteshark » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:21 pm

I have purchased another couple of caverns sets that I want to make into an underdark/underwater dungeon area. I am going to do a blueish/corral paint scheme, but I was wondering about how hard it is to sculpt green stuff onto the DF pieces. I want to make some corral. I tried to do a search, but there are way to many posts that I can't track down a good example/lesson on how to do this. Anyone?
James Gordon, Professor of Valoria

Return to “COOL PHOTOS OF DF SETS!”