DF village + custom tiles

Trent1098s
Kobold
Kobold

Re: DF village + custom tiles

Post by Trent1098s » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:55 pm

Magnetic options would be nice. Imagine city streets where the corners have a metal washer or something sunk in to the material, so you could stick magnetic light posts or hangmans gallows or a vendor street cart there.

In the DIY context it would take a bit more work and a sheet metal brake, but could use a 4x4x1/4" MDF piece, a 4x4" bit of light gauge sheet steel, then a 1/8" thick wood veneer sheet glued together. That'd give you a firm base + a metal layer + a top layer of wood that plaster could stick to that could be shaped, which magnets would clank to.

LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by LordDust » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:38 pm

I essentially picture tiles similar to this with the accessories having magnetic bases to attach to DF tiles so you can place the fences, crops, shrubs, and trees where you like. Thanks for sharing these with us, they look great!

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:36 pm

Love it!
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Magniopi
Orc
Orc

Post by Magniopi » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:23 am

Those are great! I love the fields especially.
My daughter is only a year and a half, but I hope she's helping me with stuff like this in the future.

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:23 am

Well done :D
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

Trent1098s
Kobold
Kobold

Post by Trent1098s » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:22 am

Also the most important part is my daughter saw me working on these, started asking questions, and before you know it I had a helper!

First words out of her mouth Sunday Morning "Dad we going to finish up that farm?!"

"let me get some coffee, kid, then we'll see." :)

Trent1098s
Kobold
Kobold

Post by Trent1098s » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:20 am

I got the hay bales at Hobby lobby in the model train section.

"O" scale model train stuff seems to fit just about perfect.

The revelation of this will undoubtedly hurt my bank account once I run out of Hobby Lobby materials that I bought, to plant on the tiles... There is a huge array of "O" scale stuff for terrain building which would fit medieval themes.

The split fence around the garden was balsa for the long pieces, and toothpicks for the posts.

For all of the trees, corn stalks, fence posts, etc, I picked a drill bit which was slightly oversize (by a few thou) and drilled the holes clean through the board. Then I squirted scenic glue up through the hole, pushed stuff in, and done. Only took a few minutes to mark and drill the holes for the corn, trees, etc.

There isn't a lot of time wrapped up in these. The split rail fence took the longest. Most of the time was spent waiting for stuff to dry enough to continue working on it.

Various colors of flocking, army painter battlefields tufts, field grass, and O scale trees round out the rest. Plus a little of testers textured spray paint for the garden / farm areas.

Pretty simple stuff, really. I won't get in to doing any plaster work until I do the larger 8x8" pieces for modular random encounters, town square, fishing pond, etc.

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:56 am

Very cool. Nice first post. Thanks. :)
I've seen corn stalks on-line before, but not the hay bales.
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:44 am

Nice job! These should get some of the other forumites who have been talking about exterior tiles, excited.

Where'd you get the little bales of hay?... and the corn stalks are awesome.
If you aren't gaming then you aren't living.

Trent1098s
Kobold
Kobold

DF village + custom tiles

Post by Trent1098s » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:28 am

Last couple of weeks I've been working on painting my DF sets (finally) and was also working on a dragon mini. The dragon mini needed a base, and on a whim I cut a 3x3" piece off an oak board I had in the garage.

Of course I started using the dragon in work in process screenshots along with the dwarven forge stuff. And it dawned on me.

"The dragons' base is the exact same height of dwarven forge tiles."

So, a couple days ago I went out and cut some more 4x4" pieces out of that board, sanded them, base coated them, and started building... shrubberies.

The first tile was pretty simplistic.

Soon it spawned friends.

And then gardens..

Which got overrun by cultists..

Then a wheat field mid-harvest appeared..

Couple bird eye views

Of course now the cultists are partying while the assassin stalks them from the corn field..

Climbing up high he knocks an arrow...

I don't know where I'm going to go from here.

8x8" tiles with some elevation changes for quick random encounters, larger fields & clearings, campsites, graveyards!!!, fishing pond, some modular dirt roads, stream...

Heck as long as I keep it 4x4" or 8x8" I should be able to tie it all nicely in to dwarven forge.

Oh, and of course switching to 3/8" thick Pine once I'm out of this old oak scrap. It's a bit costly to use as basing!