Re: Shakespeare meets Dwarven Forge

Post by Spiropolous the Minotaur » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:35 pm

Brilliant!

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:24 pm

My father was a tinkerer and we had zillions of tools, from woodworking to metal lathes and everything in between. Needless to say I didn't need to take shop class other than an required introduction into it, which was a wide selection of different working arts, like drafting, electrical, woodworking and lastly making a small tin tool-box. I aced the class and he would always suggest making the pieces unique if I had the chance. My creme de la creme was the electric motor with a beautiful wood base. I was very proud of it and the teacher loved it. It was so quiet you could barely here it spinning. But in the end I became a hand drafter for many different types of companies then settled into Residential Design. Eventually a company I worked for, taught all us old fogies how to draw on a computer. But I've always loved how a hand drafted plan looks over any CAD plan.

Funny that that one junior high class determined where my life would go. I did also take drafting through all four years of HS and into some college, but I never finished my engineering degree opting to go out and work without any debt to start off my life away from home. It was working well until my fall, but you can't plan for those kind of things.

I hope these interactions with you two and your "toys" helps build your bond with her for your lifetime, My dad's love of working with his hands even as just a hobby did that for me and even more. I'm so glad you posted these... :D
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

Gargs454
Orc
Orc

Post by Gargs454 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:11 am

Excellent work! Always nice to be able to find a way to bond with the children. Sadly, in my time growing up, most of these type of projects simply ended up as "busy work" that often cause "busy time" for my parents as well. Of course, neither of them were gamers or into this sort of thing.

Note: This was not a knock on my parents, just that my teachers growing up had a knack for assigning projects like dioramas and such on the Friday before Spring Break to be due the Monday we got back. As my mom would say "I know that teacher isn't grading assignments all week!"

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:58 am

Feymous wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:34 am
What a creative project!! Your daughter did a wonderful job arranging all the scenes :D

This brought a smile to my face as I remembered projects my father helped me with during school. Whenever a research paper included a visual/artistic element, I would select a topic that allowed me to make a diorama. I suppose looking back it was an obvious precursor to my DF addiction. :?
A counterpoint...we had a Thoreau nut English teacher in junior year HONORS English who wanted to make the whole class do a diorama for our final project..we all rebelled!

TLW
WeaselWarGod

Feymous
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Feymous » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:34 am

What a creative project!! Your daughter did a wonderful job arranging all the scenes :D

This brought a smile to my face as I remembered projects my father helped me with during school. Whenever a research paper included a visual/artistic element, I would select a topic that allowed me to make a diorama. I suppose looking back it was an obvious precursor to my DF addiction. :?

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:57 pm

jasdotcom wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:05 pm
William wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:18 am
Bravo, Bravo, Encore, Encore.

Brilliant idea Sir Jason and heir to Dot Com. Love it.
What a blast that must have been doing that together.
How did it go over with the instructor, did they like it? :?: :?: :?:
Thank you, thank you. Oh, you are too kind!! ;)
The assignment is due on Monday, and we still have the battle / MacBeth's death to photograph. I'll amend this post with more pictures and her grade (when she receives it).
dice4hire wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:31 am
Very nice!!!!
Thanks, Dice!

My daughter has never been attracted to anything RPG related -- only consenting to play on Father's Day or my birthday, as a present to me. It wasn't until this project that I saw light bulbs go off appear above her head and familiar "ooh" & "aah"s that we here in the forums have come to expect when using Dwarven Forge pieces leads us to new creative ideas.

She finally "get's it"!! 8-)
I hope you provided a Trigger Warning for Scene III...

What a wonderfully sneaky way to recruit not only Daughter but perhaps a whole classroom of friends...

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delenda Sunt
WeaselWarGod

JalanDa
Goblin
Goblin

Post by JalanDa » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:52 am

holy hell that is awesome work.
we demand more

GriffinTamer
Orc
Orc

Post by GriffinTamer » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:34 pm

Hey Jasdotcom, this is really awesome! What a fun project for you and your daughter and a unique new use of terrain and minis. I bet one could do entire Shakespearian plays this way (if you spent an insane amount of time) and it would be really cool. Really nice photos, too.

I do some Shakespeare from time to time with a local theater group and I've performed that speech of MacBeth's, "She should have died hereafter..." so I was particularly delighted to see that included. (It's an amazing bit of verse.)

Bravo! Definite A+.

Ski_
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Ski_ » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:41 pm

What a great way idea and fun bonding experience! Love the photos. The bridge looks fantastic.

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:15 pm

jasdotcom wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:01 pm
Thanks, everyone! We finished the project last night, combining Dwarven Forge with a bridge from PetSmart and a newly acquired corner tower, breaking my Epix Haven cherry ;)

The OP has been edited with more pics added. I'll report back when my daughter receives her grade :)
I have that same bridge from PetSmart! :-)
If you aren't gaming then you aren't living.

Return to “COOL PHOTOS OF DF SETS!”