Battle of Chrimen

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Battle of Chrimen

Post by Rabbit Burner » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:07 am

dice4hire wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:51 am
Very nice. I hope that was a real game and not a diorama exercise. Great eitehr way.
It generally starts off as what can I build using pieces I have not already used, so pretty much a Diorama.

Once its built, its like now what? Well of course we play on it, so with a 16 and 11 year old a sense of humour and a bunch of painted minis we go about a narrative game, where we enact an unscripted battle.

Gets complicated with 3 and have to reign in some ideas or it will be all over too quickly. For instance my daughter was all for the Stone Elements crush all the skellys, but that does not help the narrative. My son had the avatar of Death just killing all the guardsmen again needing reigning in to keep the narrative. So I take the role of Director of Narrative.

They both took it on board and it was not about who won or lost but having as much fun as possible. Some real priceless moments:
The cat charging onto the ramparts to get the annoying rat and bringing the wall down, my daughter was aghast when the wall collapsed 'that's ok pickle you can do that with Dwarvenite' so that frown turned quickly into a big grin 'but you don't have to destroy everything', 'oh ok' a little crestfallen but soon got busy trying to dig out her Lizard king who had been flattened.
Death floating across the moat and dishing it out, my son putting on accents makes me laugh and to hear him pretending to be death was funny. Other phrases that came out 'you durn incurred my wrath son!' in his best southern US accent :lol:
The cavalry using the siege tower to get onto the ramparts was a particular ridiculous joy and then the knight falling down the hole!

The pictures were taken as often as possible and a lot were taken with my phone and so many were 'blurry' and not used.
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:51 am

Very nice. I hope that was a real game and not a diorama exercise. Great eitehr way.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

fnordfriendly
Orc
Orc

Post by fnordfriendly » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:51 pm

:o

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:40 am

I was rooting for Wizard Dave, so sad. Thanks :D
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:55 am

Bravo! Encore! I cried when the elementals got discorporated.

Magniopi
Orc
Orc

Post by Magniopi » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:12 am

That game looked amazing.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Battle of Chrimen

Post by Rabbit Burner » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:52 pm

So using the double thick wall and Parapet build - viewtopic.php?f=48&t=8923

The lil bunnies and I decided the undead of Mythras needed a rematch at the Fortified town of Chrimen, home of the Flame of Acheron which while lit will prevent the undead from permanently being able to manifest themselves in the mortal realm.

The undead rise in the light of the Trident moons, this will not end well for all concerned, the great necromancer Polybius still smarting from his previous defeat at Castle Weird plans more misery for the mortal inhabitants this time at the town of Chrimen.

The dead arise and approach the castle through Market Square where the evening market was packing up, at the sight of the shambling undead hoard the locals flee to the castle.

As if attracted by the malevolent energies of the Undead the Lizard King riding the cat(?) appear in the castle grounds.

A Knightly patrol that entered the square as the hoard approach and decide on Plan B.

The Way Watchers eyes start to glow as they sense danger approaching.

In response to the Way Watchers, two immensely powerful rock elementals come forth to vanquish the undead hoard beneath their stone fists. This threat is immediately confronted by Polybius himself.

His magic incantation causes a catastrophic loss of cohesion resulting in two quite frustrated piles of rocks!

The Lizard King, a constant thorn in Polybius’s plans, joins the surprised and slightly unnerved defenders on the ramparts.

He launches himself into the fray, but Polybius has foreseen this and has a cunning plan. A quick animation Spell causes the noble statue of Lionel the Royal Lion to face off against the Lizard King, to the dismay and disgust of the watching guardsmen.

Polybius’s pet rat ‘Gnasher’ takes great delight in taunting the Cat (The Lizard Kings mount – my daughter demanded it!).

With the town secured the undead hoard concentrate on attacking the castle. Polybius demands his undead minions cross the moat and attack the castle, to which a skeletal warrior determines that the moat cannot be crossed …’my mighty master’.

The local wizard of the Shiney Orb (or Dave to his mates) declares that as long as the Flame of Acheron remains lit then death and his/her minions cannot remain permanently in this mortal realm.

Meanwhile Polybius summons the avatar of Death, who starts to do his worst as he drifts ethereally across the moat and onto the battlements. One by one guardsmen start to fall with whispers on the wind ‘the Pox’ ‘syphilis’ ‘Black Death’ ‘Explosive diarrhea ’ 'Spontaneous Combustion' 'Asbestos Poisoning' Death does his worst with his pointy finger.

until the Wizard Dave puts a stop to this malevolent spirit by banishing him to the nether realms using the power of the Shiney Orb.

The cat enraged by the taunting rat starts to take things into its own ‘hooves’ ? and pulls down a section of crenellations to the delight of the rat who continues its incessant taunting.

Polybius then summons the Siege Tower of many levels which trundles up to the moat and its ramp sufficiently (and conveniently some may say) long enough to cross the moat and allow access to the battlements where Death had been performing his bony finger routine.

With the defences on those ramparts already weakened the skeletal hoard swarmed into the walls.

Polybius’s second in command Fawfal is distracting many guards as he taunted them from the causeway, immune due to his Skull of reflection, ‘your mothers were Hamsters and you Fathers smelled of ….’ Many guards not understanding his accent were blinded by the Shiniest of shiney skulls.

With the guards either dead, distracted or fighting for their lives against the untold numbers of undead it looked bleak for Chrimen.

As if on cue, the very brave knights that earlier bravely ran away lead by the bravest, Sir Robin, arrive come back with some more friends on more horses with either big hammers (perfect to shatter skellies) or long lances (perfect to impale skellies).

With the undead forces concentrating on assaulting the castle they were ill prepared for a brutal cavalry charge.

Dave decides to confront Polybius but Fawful appears to makes it an uneven fight, so he bravely teleports back to the keep.

Even with the superior armour and momentum not even the knightly cavalry can take out this many Skellies, but fortunately they are not alone, a troop of pistoliers full of bravo and musket powder attack from the rear, with remarkably accurate headshots they shatter skelly skulls.

However many of the undead have breached the walls and follow Polybius in forcing entry into the keep.

With the skellies in the town dealt with the cavalry charge continues over the causeway and up the Seige Tower!

Unfortunately too late for some of the guradsmen.

Meanwhile the Cat in its attempts to get the pesky rat literally brings the house down!

It turns out that riding a horse and wielding a massive hammer is quite tricky as one knight falls down the stairs, to be stabbed by an opportunist skelly.

However the tide of the battle has turned as the knights storm across the causeway and the ramparts.

Polybius's only hope is to distinguish the fire of Acheron which will allow him to summon untold undead hoards. But he is running out of time as the cavalry gallop into the keep.

He defeats Dave in a 1-on-2 wizardy magic dual but at the cost of Fawful who turned out to be pretty ... well... awful, but is soon confronted by big horses and their vengeful riders and a civilian whom has had a barrel full of ale and yelling encouraging insults whilst he tries to dispel the Flame of Acheron!

Gnasher attempts to stall the riders to give its master enough time to quench the flame, but gets skewered in short time and Polybius cannot get the spell off before he is attacked.

The Lizard King arrives to deliver what would be the death blow with his unfeasbly large axe of ....death!
But Polybius's invokes an 'Emergency Dimensional Shift' back to the underworld. To the immense frustration of the Lizard King.

But to the immense relief of Chrimen or at least what's left of it.

The remaining undead scurry back to the dark places that spawned them.

Is this the last we will see of Polybius, of course not. Like all good B class villains he has many plans at play. And in the underworld he and his generals confer, with Rapup declaring 'all is ready my mighty Master' - imagine Peter Lorre in the role :)
Cue maniacal Vincent Price laughter

Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan