Underwater Shipyard and Cave

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Underwater Shipyard and Cave

Post by kitenerd » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:25 am

help!

Yikes - that is quite a fearsome encounter

Step one - block the hole - good lord - look at what keeps coming out of that hole - as if sharks weren't bad enough!

does anyone have hide from animals? can you cast underwater?

what are we even doing down here? - i see shipwrecks, but no gold or chests - lets just FLEE!
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

kodiakbear
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Underwater Shipyard and Cave

Post by kodiakbear » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:20 am

Great pics.

Normally a old fashion battle mat does not look very good in a DF setup but as a sandy bottom it rocks.

You and your kids did a great job. The last pic made me fear for the PCs even with a druid.

Talistran
Orc
Orc

Underwater Shipyard and Cave

Post by Talistran » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:07 am

My boys (11 and 7 years old) and I have been working on a bunch of different RPG accessories and miniatures lately, and after spending a BUNCH of hours making some ocean-life miniatures, they wanted to see what they would look like in use.

So, we set up a little diorama using DF Mountains and some ships. You'll see a couple of different angles as each boy got to devise a scene or two.

The boys set up the ocean bottom, with just a little help from me. I think the mountains worked REALLY well for this, and could look even better if we spent some time and used all the types of pieces instead of just a box of the big/mostly square mountain pieces :)

The intrepid adventures, walking on the bottom of the ocean with some water breathing cast on them by the druid.

Some life stirs... a few large lobsters, two large octopi, and an eel.

As a school of sharks rush the adventurers, most of the other wildlife scurry away.

A sawbill sneakattack ;)

After defeating the sharks, some hammerheads attack from behind...

By now, the other boy wanted his turn, so started setting up the other side.

Approaching from the other side, the adventurers scare away a family of sea turtles...

At which point they are met by a bunch of rays...

Some dolphins came over to play...

One of my boys said, "Man we're lucky. Everyone else only has two sharks to use." He isn't wrong.

Of course, two is a nicer option than the sharks he threw at our adventurers...

By now, both boys wanted to show what was in the cave, so they took turns...

"There wouldn't just be ONE octopus, Dad."

Or what about a salt water crocodile?!

Or a large jellyfish!

Finally, I asked the boys what would happen if the adventurers made it INTO the cave ok, but were confronted by ALL the sharks when they got out?!? :) This is what they did...

Of course, the 7 year old thought that the good creatures would come help them... sailfish, narwal, and some dolphins to the rescue.

Well, there you go :)