Session One new campaign :::: The Onus

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Session One new campaign :::: The Onus

Post by dice4hire » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:08 pm

What a box of 50 of the black bricks looks like. Got some more.
DSCF1431__.jpg
DSCF1431__.jpg (13.62 KiB) Viewed 1663 times
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:45 pm

how about 'sofa cushions' ?

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delenda Sunt, except KS5
WeaselWarGod

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:26 am

Extruded Polystyrene Foam Insulation Products vs sofa cushions.

I use the sofa cushion foam to store and transport my DF

Extruded Polystyrene Foam, Styrofoam is a brand name. I use the Pink Extruded Polystyrene Foam Insulation manufactured by Dow

I am working on the grade so that I can be sure the figures can stand.

Extruded Polystyrene Foam Insulation can be textured in the traditional ways or can be beaten with rocks.

Howard Whitehouse made the Hill on the right with a bread knife and I made the hill on the left with a wire cutter.Both are made with white expanded beaded foam incorrectly referred to as styrofoam. I think styrofoam and pink foam are better. The hills are both at least ten years old when the photos were taken.The white foam will last a long time if you take good care of it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Styrofoam

White foam/expanded
Pink/blue foam extruded
sofa cushions :? I do not know what to call that :lol: :lol:
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

Maglok
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Maglok » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:04 am

That looks awesome. Shame they do not deliver to the netherlands.

Do show more pictures :) Cool!

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:06 am

Ok so got my foam blocks in quick time :)

Below is a quick comparison and build

12 foam blocks topped with a mountains 8x8

Small build - 'The Tower on the Cliff'

Very happy with the size of the blocks - exactly what I asked for :)

These will be great for CBS builds.

Quickly realised that for mountains and dungeons the height assumes a roof or coping piece as on the pictures you can seen it does not quite line up with mountain pieces - though close enough for us :)

The foam compresses a little with a heavy 7 story large tower ontop, not yet determined if the foam will stay compressed or will 'spring' back to size.
The Foam is grippy you can't slide them into place easily, but easily enough to work around - especially if you have planned the build ;)

Conclusions:

Happy with the size and overall value - will be more useful for CBS and Castle builds, for mountain and dungeon/cavern builds we would look at changing the height to match.

The above example feels too heavy for the foam, but for CBS elevation we think they will be ideal

Though if we decide to more we will look at Closed cell polyethylene to see if it does not compress.
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:43 am

Oldent wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:10 pm
Rabbit Burner wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:16 am
Ok so this may not help anyone but we just ordered 13 2x4x4 inch blocks of packing foam for £20 ($28) - as it is a UK based firm we got free delivery.

https://www.efoam.co.uk/

They cut to size and the first block is expensive (£8) but the more you add the cheaper they get (kinda).

So we chose 2x4x4 bricks as this size is the smallest we'd want and 13 should give us a bunch of options

They are made packing foam so may not have a great deal of strength they do other foams - the Closed cell polyethylene foam is more rigid but more expensive.

Will be interested in how useable they are.
It is more cost effective for me to cut mine from the closed cell foam/pink foam.
I am interested in how you decided what size and how many to order.
The size was based on a CBS single floor thinking that this would be the smallest size we'd want and the amount was based on how many could I get for £20 :)
GODofwar wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:57 pm
Rabbit has a nobleman's love of fine things.

Weasels are content with Junkyard Dog foam sliced up with Hotwire Foam Factory tools!
Let us know how you like it, Rabbit. Not that I could pay to schlep even great foam to the USA...

TLW
When it comes to our hobbies - yeah we like the nice stuff. Demands on my time result in not enough time to delve into the skills that many have here of creating your own terrain, I have several large boxes of old toys, packaging, cartons etc to make terrain with, we even have a whole bunch of Hirst arts molds. Guess how much terrain we have made ?

We have tremendous respect for your guys that cobble amazing terrain from everyday items, the imagination and skills on show on this forum are breathtaking - hats off to you lot :D

Will let you know if these prove to be effective.

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:10 pm

Rabbit Burner wrote:
Ok so this may not help anyone but we just ordered 13 2x4x4 inch blocks of packing foam for £20 ($28) - as it is a UK based firm we got free delivery.

They cut to size and the first block is expensive (£8) but the more you add the cheaper they get (kinda).

So we chose 2x4x4 bricks as this size is the smallest we'd want and 13 should give us a bunch of options

They are made packing foam so may not have a great deal of strength they do other foams - the Closed cell polyethylene foam is more rigid but more expensive.

It is more cost effective for me to cut mine from the closed cell foam/pink foam.
I am interested in how you decided what size and how many to order.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:57 pm

Rabbit Burner wrote:

Rabbit has a nobleman's love of fine things.

Weasels are content with Junkyard Dog foam sliced up with Hotwire Foam Factory tools!
Let us know how you like it, Rabbit. Not that I could pay to schlep even great foam to the USA...

TLW
WeaselWarGod

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:16 am

biowizard
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by biowizard » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:29 pm

Thank you for the nice setup dice4hire.

I must admit I am VERY jealous of your neat black 2"*4"*8" foam blocks.
I guess shipping those across the ocean would be very costly and I'm wondering if we can find an alternate local North American sourcing.

While still looking for the perfect solution, I stumbled on those 2"*8"*12" black foam blocks that look quite good: https://www.yogadirect.com/foam-yoga-brick-2-inch.html

and this one: https://www.stagestep.com/product/foam- ... -x-2-inch/

If anyone can find something better, please post!!!