Keep on the Borderlands

Saxon1974
Orc
Orc

Re: Keep on the Borderlands

Post by Saxon1974 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:43 pm

dice4hire wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:50 pm
Yeah, the caves are the main draw for me, but a nice castle with nice ground terrain.
Oh I agree, if we get to that I will be sharing those builds too!

Saxon1974
Orc
Orc

Post by Saxon1974 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:42 pm

ForestZ wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:42 pm
Very nice! My 8yo is starting to become interested in D&D (not entirely sure about my 6yo yet). I ran them through a HeroKids game a couple years ago, and played Mice and Mystics with them a few times, but I hadn't considered adapting a normal D&D module to be more kid friendly with those rules.

Even if your build isn't accurate, it looks awesome! Kids these days don't know how good they have it, haha.

Also, I'm jealous you have more than 2 of those gargoyles. I have 2 from the Ravenloft game and I need 2-4 more for Princes of the Apocalypse, but they're ridiculously pricey on the secondary market.
Thanks, I wasn't going for complete accuracy just a gatehouse on a cliff like in the module. I don't plan to run the kids through the module; this was just a one shot hero kids session. I was motivated to see if I could build something similar to it and decided why not use it while it's built:)

My 7 year old and I are finishing another module first.

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:34 pm

I think it looks great.
Those covered elevation blocks are a new way I've never seen yet. Nice pieces to have around, I've barely started a similar foam elevation project, but then there are 40 thousand other projects I'm in the middle of, so... ;)

The one thing I see that needs a bit of help are those miniatures, they seem a bit flimsy. I would imagine a small breeze or sneeze has them in flight mode... :lol:
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:50 pm

Yeah, the caves are the main draw for me, but a nice castle with nice ground terrain.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Arcarius2001
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Arcarius2001 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:28 pm

I love this!!! But now I must demand the Caves of Chaos! Maybe DF can build it with KS6 pieces.

ForestZ
Orc
Orc

Post by ForestZ » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:42 pm

Very nice! My 8yo is starting to become interested in D&D (not entirely sure about my 6yo yet). I ran them through a HeroKids game a couple years ago, and played Mice and Mystics with them a few times, but I hadn't considered adapting a normal D&D module to be more kid friendly with those rules.

Even if your build isn't accurate, it looks awesome! Kids these days don't know how good they have it, haha.

Also, I'm jealous you have more than 2 of those gargoyles. I have 2 from the Ravenloft game and I need 2-4 more for Princes of the Apocalypse, but they're ridiculously pricey on the secondary market.

Saxon1974
Orc
Orc

Keep on the Borderlands

Post by Saxon1974 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:23 pm

So I was thinking of running my older son and I (He is 7) through BECMI Keep on the Borderlands and was curious if I could at least make the gatehouse of the keep with what I have. Getting the elevation is a bit tricky as I dont have much foam stuff. I ended up running all 3 boys (7,5,5) through a modified story about the keep using Hero Kids (my 5's aren't ready for regular RPG's yet). They met a girl from their village who lost her pokemon's up near the keep and asked for help getting them back. I may run the actual module with my 7 year old soon.

I just built the gatehouse at the front of the keep. It's not that good but came ok I think. I realize cutting some foam into the shape of the rock ramp would look better but I don't have time for that.

Anyway, some photos

Gatehouse
ImageKOB1 by Steven Pearson, on Flickr

ImageKOB3 by Steven Pearson, on Flickr

The back of the gatehouse
ImageKOB2 by Steven Pearson, on Flickr

Gargoyles attack! (Notice the roper trying to eat a character in the ravine)
Image1-GargoylesAttack by Steven Pearson, on Flickr

Entrance!
Image2-Entrance! by Steven Pearson, on Flickr

Inside Skeletons attack
Image3-UndeadAttack! by Steven Pearson, on Flickr