Build - permanent display - CBS

MrMorden
Ogre
Ogre

Re: Build - permanent display - CBS

Post by MrMorden » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:37 pm

The castle bits are Mage Knight, the scaffold is Miniature Building Authority. That scaffold has gotten a lot of use over the years!

JK - 123456
Goblin
Goblin

Post by JK - 123456 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:00 pm

William wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:18 pm
Fun display.
I have same question about the scaffold.
Looking closely I would hazard a guess it is scratch built, but very nicely done.
Now I want a castle to put some scaffolding against. :lol: Guess some towers would work, just no castle walls. :?
scaffold was something i was hoping for an add-on in the castles KS.. GW make a whole lot of boards from their goblin town set which could work but they are covered in skulls and bones, something i think which might put off local stonemasons who are repairing the broken castle, and also puts me off filing and filling to get rid of them.. I'm also hopeful DF do some wooden docks which may be able to double as scaffold.

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:18 pm

Fun display.
I have same question about the scaffold.
Looking closely I would hazard a guess it is scratch built, but very nicely done.
Now I want a castle to put some scaffolding against. :lol: Guess some towers would work, just no castle walls. :?
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

JK - 123456
Goblin
Goblin

Post by JK - 123456 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:47 pm

MrMorden wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:48 pm
Here's some pics of my bookcase top display:

The Orc attack on the keep:

that is absolutely Orc-some! lovely job on the layout. so cool to wander into a room and see a setup like that.

out of interest - what is the castle model.. i really, really like the scaffold. Have been looking for this for ages. is this a custom job?

MrMorden
Ogre
Ogre

Post by MrMorden » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:48 pm

Here's some pics of my bookcase top display:

The Orc attack on the keep:

The gate assault. The Orcs are using a log pilfered from a DF traps set to ram the gate. The defenders have enlisted a tribe of Half-Ogres to assist, and they hurl rocks down on the Orcs. The Orcs also have a makeshift siege tower in place:

While the Battle continues, the village outside the walls is left undefended, and the Wraith Queen and her Dragon attack over the small bridge, with only a small stalwart band of Militia archers and a couple of soldiers-for-hire to oppose them:

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:57 am

ouch, sorry to hear that.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:52 am

I used to have two kinds of permanent display, but I found one somewhat of a waste.

The official permanent display was a dungeon I kept out on a shelf - regular bookshelf, so modest layout. Mix of dungeon and cavern elements. Back in the resin days. Looked good, but eventually you realize you never really pause to admire it. And what ended up happening was I treated that shelf as my all purpose D&D shelf - have some minis out that I don't want to bury in a bin? Stick 'em there so they don't get lost. A key DF piece I don't want to lose track of? Plop it in that cavern. Dice found under the couch and my dice bag is in the basement? Just stick those here for now. The shelf ended up an unholy mess no matter how often I tried to keep it clear.

My unofficial permanent layout was much better. I just had my layout out on a table and I never put it all away. I'd rearrange it all the time and come up with new displays and I didn't bother putting anything back. Spending an hour organizing the storage would have been a total waste of time.

This was all ages ago, before I had kids, before I was so busy at work it just didn't pay to leave my DF out all the time.

Plus, it led to a huge problem. I got so used to having it all out, I asked myself why my closet was full of empty boxes. I tossed those, and when I moved away from Boston I put all my DF in bins for the move. When I reached my destination, half of my beautiful resin collection was chipped or broken or pulverized. :(

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:31 am

Rabbit Burner wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:31 pm
Looks like its all kicking off!

Do love the CBS fire, the magnetic ones stick to Castle walls too.

You cannot have enough fire

Very Nice build JK :)
Amen, Rabbit. I love the fires and use them as often as they will work.
My players, not so much.

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delenda Sunt, except KS5
WeaselWarGod

JK - 123456
Goblin
Goblin

Post by JK - 123456 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:19 pm

geekjeff wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:28 am
If "always have at least one storage unit cluttered with pieces" counts as "permanent display," then yeah I sure I do this too. :lol:

But with kids around, the displays do not remain static or coherent.
I'm liking the way you think...classic... yes if that is the test then all the tools in the shed are on permanent display.. same as the towels and clothes on the floor ;-)

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:26 pm

That's cool at work.
We used to play a lunch break, I miss those days. :(
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )