Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: The Cavern Gambit

Post by Runeweaver » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:51 pm

AnimeSensei wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:49 pm
madrigalian wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:54 pm
With one of my old groups back in the day I used to start every session with a recap of what brought them to this point in the campaign.
I always ask my players to do a recap of the last play session adventure so 1) they pay attention to the story and NPCs more and 2) sometimes one person notices or remembers something the others didn't, and it brings up great discussions and strategy. It's a great way to give inspiration or xp rewards if you use them.
Ooo, very good. I’m using that Anime. Inspiration for hitting vital info.

Arcarius2001
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Arcarius2001 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:51 pm

Feymous wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:28 pm
Love this build! Nice mix of different sets and lots of fun details that have me wondering "what's that piece for for? How did the players interact with that element?"

The pit in the first room immediately caught my eye. Did you cut the corners off black foam blocks from Japan to achieve this?

Also love how you mixed the cathedral roof and round DoD room. :D
Thanks, Feymous! For the pit, I used three of the black foam blocks. Two on the sides and one in front and then used the resin curved walls to make the pit. I back filled the outside of the curves with the little curve bits from KS1 so it was solid enough to support the main floors. I finished off the back of the pit with two hallways from the Narrow Passages set, turned upside down.
And yes, that’s the cathedral roof base. Good eye!

Feymous
Orc
Orc

Post by Feymous » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:28 pm

Love this build! Nice mix of different sets and lots of fun details that have me wondering "what's that piece for for? How did the players interact with that element?"

The pit in the first room immediately caught my eye. Did you cut the corners off black foam blocks from Japan to achieve this?

Also love how you mixed the cathedral roof and round DoD room. :D

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:49 pm

madrigalian wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:54 pm
With one of my old groups back in the day I used to start every session with a recap of what brought them to this point in the campaign.
I always ask my players to do a recap of the last play session adventure so 1) they pay attention to the story and NPCs more and 2) sometimes one person notices or remembers something the others didn't, and it brings up great discussions and strategy. It's a great way to give inspiration or xp rewards if you use them.
104 Resin and 205 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Arcarius2001
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Arcarius2001 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:22 pm

Thanks realarete and madrigalian!

madrigalian
Orc
Orc

Post by madrigalian » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:54 pm

Who doesn't love a good ole TPK? Other than the players, I mean. :lol:

With one of my old groups back in the day I used to start every session with a recap of what brought them to this point in the campaign. I always ended the flashback story with; "You're all dead, roll up new characters." It was my way of reminding them, the danger was very real. One day we jumped in to play straight away and I forgot to do the recap and say the words. They all died. To this day they are convinced I jinxed them by not "killing" them first in the forgotten flashback. Hehehe. It was the best TPK ever.

Oh yeah, my wife doesn't let me open new sessions with that anymore. ;)

Ps. Almost forgot, kudos for putting the beholder in there, right up front and letting them make the mistake of thinking they could take it on. My guess is, they won't forget anytime soon. Good stuff.
My DF Galleries -
3dDelve - https://ello.co/3ddelve
Imgur - Thanks zazulu! - http://imgur.com/a/ppUeP/layout/horizontal#0

realarete
Orc
Orc

Post by realarete » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:29 am

Wow! I really liking the Dungeon to cavern back to dungeon look of that layout. All the mixing of the resin and newer pieces really gives it a unique look, thats a great set-up! Thanks for posting the picts! Really shows how those great cavern resin chunks can be nicely augmented by later cave stuff.

Arcarius2001
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Arcarius2001 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:47 am

Rabbit Burner wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:01 am
Saw the second set of pictures and went "Oh Wow"

Very nice build Arcarius :)
Thanks, Rabbit!!

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:01 am

Saw the second set of pictures and went "Oh Wow"

Very nice build Arcarius :)
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

Arcarius2001
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Arcarius2001 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:51 pm

John D wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:44 pm
Epic Build.
Now That's a Bottomless Pit!
I picked up the same bridge from Petco. I also grabbed some "ruined" statues, and a small mayan temple (all aquarium stuff) - they play great with DF pieces and add lots of flavor.
Thanks John! Welcome to the forums. Yeah, Petco has cool useful terrain every now and then. I found two huge terraced stair pieces there on close out once. One day I will put them back to back for a giant kind of Mayan pyramid build. Every time that I buy dog food I make sure to check the aquarium decor aisle. 😊