Paint Brushes for Dry brushing

Memnor
Kobold
Kobold

Re: Paint Brushes for Dry brushing

Post by Memnor » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:28 am

You can also consider dry brushes from Games Workshop, probably the only reasonably priced product they sell :shock:
They are this style and are around $10 depending on what country you live in. Locations all over the place.

Runeweaver
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Runeweaver » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:24 pm

The dry brush the Dwarven Forge sells is very good.

biowizard
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by biowizard » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:20 pm

Alphyns wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:09 am
Since I'm willing to concede that you're a better painter than I am - would you mind sharing how you use that kind of brush effectively? Thanks.
I'm certainly not claiming to be a better painter as I do not know how well you paint. There are probably as my techniques and "best" brushes as there are painters. For reference, I'm pretty sure we can agree that Stefan can be considered a good painter and he seems to have his favorite brush that seems to be a mix between yours and mine: brushy and very long bristles.

See the following video (around 5:00 and 7:30...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YYhnqLj25M

Alphyns
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Alphyns » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:09 am

Good catch, AnimeSensei, you are right. I should have specified brush soap rather than regular soap.

I've tried brushes like the bushier ones that Biowizard mentioned but the effects, for me, are "streaky." With some areas getting dry brush much deeper into the recesses and others barely getting touched. I find the straight edge of the brush that I use evens things out a bit better. Since I'm willing to concede that you're a better painter than I am - would you mind sharing how you use that kind of brush effectively? Thanks.

biowizard
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by biowizard » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:02 am

Don't worry Rabbit, it's part of the master plan, but it needs to be finished and perfect before I do so!

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:32 am

Dick's got a good site, bought many things there in the past.
Oh, ya...your terrain painting pictures are definitely allowed. ;) (if not required) :lol:
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:20 am

biowizard wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:28 pm
I should have done that in my original answer, state specifically what is my favorite model of paint brush for dry brushing: Blick's 1/2" Scholastic Camel hair oval wash paint brush.

https://www.dickblick.com/products/blic ... oval-wash/

It comes pretty cheap and I am currently painting my entire 4000$+ KS4 castle with it with astonishing results.
biowizard - u no da rulz - pictures or all you have been doing is buying shares in 'Dick Blick Art Materials' ;)
*apologies if you have posted pictures of your castle - slowly catching up with the forum after KS6
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

biowizard
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by biowizard » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:28 pm

I should have done that in my original answer, state specifically what is my favorite model of paint brush for dry brushing: Blick's 1/2" Scholastic Camel hair oval wash paint brush.

https://www.dickblick.com/products/blic ... oval-wash/

It comes pretty cheap and I am currently painting my entire 4000$+ KS4 castle with it with astonishing results.

biowizard
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by biowizard » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:07 pm

I would personally recommend a brush that is more "bushy" such as this:

http://www.michaels.com/princeton-selec ... &start=252

The bristles need to be quite separate from each other, there should not be any tip or line formed. Think about what women uses to apply powder on their cheeks. Round and soft in every direction.

As far as how to wash paint brushes, I have tried what Anime suggest and found in my opinion a better product: Winsor & Newton brush cleaner & restorer. It is a liquid in which you dip your brushes. Magically, a few minutes later, all the paint is dissolved in said liquid and your brush is good as new, paint-free!
Last edited by biowizard on Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:05 pm

If you have a natural hair brush, don't use normal soap! Use brush soap or use a conditioner to keep the hairs in good condition and not drying out/splaying. And be very careful with the water temperature; if it gets too hot you can melt the wax holding the bristles and they will get re-positioned (and splay) or can fall out.

https://www.amazon.com/General-Pencil-1 ... 488&sr=8-3&
102 Resin and 217 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Return to “COOL PHOTOS OF DF SETS!”