Inked Underdoom Cavern paint scheme

Runeweaver
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Inked Underdoom Cavern paint scheme

Post by Runeweaver » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:07 pm

I really, really like that. Dang I’m tempted to try that.

krazmuze
Kobold
Kobold

Post by krazmuze » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:08 am

You see the gloss more as you move around, in the pic it is too hard to tell what is white drybrush and what is gloss reflection. Also with the window blinds open I got more diffuse light so less specular reflection.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:44 am

Looks nice. Wish I could see the variations of gloss a bit better.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

krazmuze
Kobold
Kobold

Post by krazmuze » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:34 pm

Took a while to varnish since each coat was 3hr dry time so could only do one coat each weeknight.

I black primed the back then dual coat gloss varnished to give them a clean look and take the bends out. The fronts got a gloss varnish followed by dual satin varnish for dry or dual high gloss varnish for wet. I did not like the flat look of the matte varnish, having a bit of shine adds depth since the rocks are highly textured.
001post.jpg
varnished
001post.jpg (100.83 KiB) Viewed 639 times
002post.jpg
entire set
002post.jpg (134.52 KiB) Viewed 639 times

krazmuze
Kobold
Kobold

Post by krazmuze » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:34 pm

Arcarius2001 wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:17 pm
That’s a cool idea. And it looks good from what I can tell. The pics are a bit dark. Please post some pics of a build when you get finished. I’d like to see this in a setup.
This is only the dining room light no flash is why. You can see the gradient test I did had the flash and it did not look like it was on the table so I stopped using it.

I think that is going to be a general problem with the Underdoom paint schemes is being dark cool colors they will not photograph well. I disliked the official scheme but it is probably more that it just does not take great pictures

My coworker suggested noon time pics and opening the blinds, I will try that next time.

krazmuze
Kobold
Kobold

Post by krazmuze » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:33 pm

This is the terrain brush I use for priming, washing and drybrushing. Has a very fat dense bristles scrubbing, stabbing, feathering, soaking it does it all! I only used my number two brush for the individual stones.

https://www.amazon.com/Plaid-4-Inch-Cra ... B000XZWHIU

I think it came with a craft brush multipack from one of the craft stores.

Watching youtubers is how I learned that you have to be willing to have intermediate stages look bad knowing that later stages will tie it together. With inks I found this especially true - you can color outside the lines and not worry about it because they are transparent. Complementary inks go gray while adjacent inks blend together.

This was my first exploration into mass production fast painting. Doing it on the table and getting away from the desk is a big part of it. Using the ink washes knowing I can color outside the lines so can be very sloppy. The final black wash and white drybrush hides all your mistakes! Will certainly try this approach for my armies of plastic that are still on the shelves.

Arcarius2001
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Arcarius2001 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:17 pm

That’s a cool idea. And it looks good from what I can tell. The pics are a bit dark. Please post some pics of a build when you get finished. I’d like to see this in a setup.

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:35 pm

krazmuze wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:38 am
This is actually my first DF purchase, glad I went with unpainted to save money as it takes more time to waste on creativity which is a good thing!
I envy your time and painting ability!

These are very cool. Love the step by step Always amazed at how garrish things can look only to have drybrush pull it all together. I am to conservative and then find my results flat. Must push comfort level

Thanks for sharing!
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

krazmuze
Kobold
Kobold

Post by krazmuze » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:38 am

Rabbit Burner wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:41 am
Cool :)

that green glowing ooze looks positively toxic!

Great job welcome to the Forum :)
FW Ink has a set of fluorescent paints and I considered them, but fluorescence by definition means losing energy and none of them are colorfast as a result. So the trick to make it 'glowing' was making it yellow-green instead of green, which is a brighter color especially over the white. This gives it value contrast against the dirty red-violet which is the darkest color in the palette, and it also has color contrast since it is complementary. The dirty yellow-green wash I used a size 0 brush to only outline so very little of it washed into the bottom to keep the bright yellow-green intact, when I first did it you can see the green wash and the purple wash blend made black which combined with the final black wash completely lost the original green.

This is actually my first DF purchase, glad I went with unpainted to save money as it takes more time to waste on creativity which is a good thing!

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:41 am

Cool :)

that green glowing ooze looks positively toxic!

Great job welcome to the Forum :)
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan