Woodlands Experiments

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Woodlands Experiments

Post by Oldent » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:51 pm

I enjoyed the photos.

I have always used them as hedges. The Photos are pre city streets Kickstarter.

painted city streets

It has been years sense the photos were taken I have painted streets and alley and sewers now and many more MBA buildings. Time for new photos.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:26 pm

Sizing in Woodland never matterd to me...its WOODS, they aren't supposed to be regular. Woodland is another great some-time set, for variety.

Feymous used her woodlands for a great encounter in one of our games. IIRC, three separate ugly encounters in a small area...

The Chief Least Weasel of Valoria (Pretendant)
Totus KS Delenda Sunt
WeaselWarGod

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:58 pm

Opening my first resin sets, two woodlands now. Only looked at a bit so far but great paint job and amazing detail.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

GardenDM
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GardenDM » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:24 pm

I think it's about time that I invest in a few mats for the table. Terrain Trays are a decent substitute, but I don't have enough for full coverage.

GardenDM
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GardenDM » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:22 pm

I opened the 2nd set this afternoon. All the pieces were good, except I was missing a campfire floor (will reach out to DF on that).

Here's a quick build with both sets and the cottage from earlier, plus a bit of Erinthor.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eej274ftso95m ... e.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vog6x1h4tzuis ... d.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kt5oi40f2h81d ... s.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jaorvrw58csjv ... e.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/znq4i4z9u1la2 ... e.jpg?dl=0

GardenDM
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GardenDM » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:42 pm

Before I started collecting Resin I only had experience with Dwarvenite (KS1+). I had heard that some of the resin sets had better fit than others, but most (all?) had some gaps/irregularities.

Now that I have experience with both Catacombs (1&2) and Woodlands, I can confirm that there are more gaps than in most of the Dwarvenite sets (leaving out "indoor sets" vs "outdoor sets" sizing). I think partly it's due to the sculpts and partly due to the materials. I feel more comfortable smooshing (technical term) Dwarvenite pieces together for a tight fit than I do with Resin. Even though I know the Resin sets are quite durable, my brain tells me to treat them like fragile little pieces of art.

All of the above said, it's only something I notice when initially building the layout. Once the stuff hits the table (Dwarvenite or Resin), it's gorgeous and just looks amazing.

John D
Orc
Orc

Post by John D » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:34 pm

The odd sizing on the Woodlands pieces never really bothered me. We just 'shore up' whatever area is the current focus (the fit is only slightly off). It's all part of the game, and I hardly notice that I'm doing it.
By the way, one of the first things I did with the newer set was to lay out the pieces in 'mirror' fashion to the original set. I wanted to see if the sizing issue was the same or not; The odd fit is identical on both sets (new and old).

pacarat
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by pacarat » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:15 pm

Because of the irregularities with the floor and side wall dimensions I’ve found the best way to use these is interspersed with other themes. Otherwise they get off grid real quick.

I’ve also contemplated getting the dremel out to fix them, but cant quite go there... afraid I’ll mess them up.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:20 pm

Dresser woodlands lol

I cannot tell any difference form the two in the pics, and it is a nice layout. I wonder when my two sets will arrive?
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:46 pm

Cool stuff guys, I just received a second set of Woodlands to go with the one I got from "Limited" sets. The newer set is packed with the brown cardboard in a (not as nice) Styrofoam container with a loose top (not fitted like the old ones). All in all the pieces themselves are very close to first set, but I do see slight differences. Nothing I can't fix if I get around to them. There were a few leaves missed or not quite the same highlight of color as the original. The floors also are brighter, but work fine with originals. I might wash the few that stand out. My raised bowl was also not filed on the bottom, so it sat crooked, but that's rectified already. I'll post some pictures in the future, but here are two of a diorama on my dresser at the moment. This also has two sets of accessories in layout with some partially painted minis. :oops:

Dresser Woodlands1.jpg
Dresser Woodlands1.jpg (77.25 KiB) Viewed 491 times
Dresser Woodlands2.jpg
Dresser Woodlands2.jpg (86.75 KiB) Viewed 491 times
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )