Priming DF

Do you have a question or a suggestion about how to best utilize Dwarven Forge's products? Please post it here.
Mister Frau Blucher
Orc
Orc

Re: Priming DF

Post by Mister Frau Blucher » Thu May 13, 2021 10:54 am

I had to prime some of the cavern water tiles, as they were recast in green instead of the original color. I used Rustoleum Gray Sandable Primer. You can read about it and see the results here:

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=11705

That was 6 months ago, haven't had any problem.

I will add that I have had some problems with the Pokorny Black adhering to my Dungeon of Doom pieces - I used it for that upper stretch of wall between the columns. The paint beaded up and remained tacky for weeks. I had to put that project aside, and haven't gone back yet to see if they finally dried or not.

But other than that, I've never had a problem painting pieces straight out of the box with Pokorny paints. Regular craft paint for the most part is OK, but has flaked a bit in a few areas I've used it.

Starved Hound
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Starved Hound » Thu May 13, 2021 6:06 pm

I have noticed that about the black on the DoD vaulted pieces. Sometimes it will bead up, and others it goes on fine.

Even with it beading up, after waiting a min or so it does go on really well. Some of my pieces are tacky, while others are fine.

Same with the red on the pillars of the vaulted pieces.

To be honest, it's not really an issue. What I am most pleased about tho, is that the coverage from the Pokorny paints is absolutely insane.

Love the stuff, and Dwarvenite is a breeze to paint/dry brush.
The Starved Hound has only just now evolved to run on all fours, like the animal that he is. Currently possess over 2500 pieces of Valoria

Mister Frau Blucher
Orc
Orc

Post by Mister Frau Blucher » Fri May 14, 2021 7:48 am

I checked on my DoD pieces that have been sitting for about two months now - the black is still tacky. Not a problem I have had before, but it definitely is one now.

Not sure why this is a problem, but maybe they changed the Dwarvenite formula between KS 1/2 and KS 5? It is a slightly different color.

The Dungeon Gray had no problem adhering to these pieces, so I'm going to "prime" the pieces I haven't painted the black on yet, using the gray. Then I'm pretty confident the black will perform like it should.

And the Lava Red, though I might do a different color on the columns.

Starved Hound
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Starved Hound » Sat May 15, 2021 10:42 am

Good thinking on priming with the Gray Mister. I'm just going to carry on without priming, not sure on why only certain pieces are tacky. But the main thing for me is that there is no paint transfer coming from those pieces.

Love the Deep Lava, but I think I will do a combination of greens/dark stone for a distressed look on maybe 50-80 vaulted pieces.
The Starved Hound has only just now evolved to run on all fours, like the animal that he is. Currently possess over 2500 pieces of Valoria

zenako
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by zenako » Sat May 15, 2021 10:47 am

As I recall, they even had some issues with DoD and the black being tacky from the factory for some reason. For most folks letting them sit out for a while, or even out in the sun helped somewhat. i also know that certain pigment colors in almost all paint lines have more issues than other colors do. One of the twitch streams I watch sometimes is from Reaper and they have some of their artists and painters on it quite often and that topic is a recurring one in the chat. Mainly the primary colors seem to have the most notable issues. (Red, Blue and Yellow). Pretty much all of the greys, browns, and greens seem to have much better coverage. Starts to get into paint chemistry and some of the science behind that which can go way over the heads of most folks.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Tue May 18, 2021 7:46 am

Our first experience with tacky paint was in Castles and the metallic paint on the drawbridge.

Was not really a problem and seems to have gone away, we are talking over 3 years ago.
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

SwissArmyMage
Orc
Orc

Post by SwissArmyMage » Tue May 18, 2021 7:27 pm

Probably why browns and greys have less issues is because they are a combination of pigments. So if there is an issue with a pigment the "pure" color of that pigment will have the most issues, while with the neutral colors the other pigments may cover the bad one.
Link to my drive with photos of my custom painted collection.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Updated with new pics on occasion.

Clint_Lundgren
Orc
Orc

Post by Clint_Lundgren » Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:03 am

I haven't needed to prime dwarvenite, though I might do so if I wanted to change the base colour, as others have done. But it is typically such a dark grey, almost black, that it works well as is (when I am painting miniatures I prime in black 90% of the time anyway, because I find it helps accentuate contrasts).

You can paint it right out of the box, but many of the pieces are kind of glossy with whatever solution is used to help release them from the mold. Thus, I find it helpful to give them all a quick wash with soapy water. Once they dry, they take paint quite well.

Any miniatures paint will work. I painted quite a bit of DF with citadel paints at first, because that is what I had on hand. This adheres fine but does feel slightly tacky afterwards. Citadel paints tend to be quite thick, so this made it very fast to paint with, and the minor tackiness has not been an issue. But this is an expensive way to paint DF!

I've since largely switched to Pokorny paints. These are much, much thinner, and some colours will require multiple coats to properly base coat. But they adhere fine, and there is minimal tackiness. They are MUCH more cost effective, so I that is why I recommend using them.

Ultimately, painting most DF is dead simple: you add a few base colours where warranted, and then you drybrush. Now that I am getting into some of the wilderness tiles the painting is getting more involved, but only to the level of adding a few more colours and some actual highlights. Nothing like painting a detailed miniature.

If you haven't tried your hand at painting your DF, you should! It's fun, it'll save you money, and it takes very little time and effort to produce pieces that meet or exceed the factory jobs. Begin with a remastered starter dungeon - it is literally just base coating a few bricks here and there to create contrast, and then drybrushing the whole set. You can do it in half an hour.

Oh, but do invest $10 in a good drybrush. It should look like a giant makeup brush. Trust me, it'll make everything much easier.

zenako
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by zenako » Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:43 am

Clint_Lundgren wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:03 am Oh, but do invest $10 in a good drybrush. It should look like a giant makeup brush. Trust me, it'll make everything much easier.
This is important. I learned thru experience how much that can change outcomes.

I would also add that terrain is unlike miniatures since for most tiles, you are really not all that worried about staying within the lines so to speak. On a Mini if you splodge some paint in the wrong place, it is a small disaster many times. On a bit of terrain, just added flavor or coloring to that tile. Helps to break up the repetition. There are small handful of tiny "thoughtful touches as DF calls them" on most terrain tiles and those can either be handled and painted with care, or even ignored. I tended to paint a few of them, and ignore the rest. I really don't want the same red salamander or lizard showing up in the same place on 15 of the same tiles. Having rocks or flora repeat I can live with, having random some critters, not so much.

period3
Ogre
Ogre

Post by period3 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:08 am

I hate painting bricks. It's very tedious to pick out and colour individual bricks. Anything with bricks I get pre-painted.

Erinthor mountains however, is easy and fun to paint. quick dry brush, plus lots of little thoughtful touches to hold my interest. Hoping wildlands will end up more like that, as I went all unpainted and got pieces from all three biomes...

Return to “How Do I Use This Stuff?”