Ultimate DF Table

Do you have a question or a suggestion about how to best utilize Dwarven Forge's products? Please post it here.
kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Ultimate DF Table

Post by kitenerd » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:13 pm

Pizzabagel wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:17 pm
My group has been considering moving from a big table set up, down to a coffee-table height setup where the combat is lower to the ground so everyone can see over the walls better, and there is less chance of bumping the scenery (especially since we use a couch for half of the seating)
This is how my group currently plays and i like it a lot. It has the added advantage of feeling like there is nothing between the players. It is a more relaxed and informal way to sit and i think it helps roleplay. Looking down on the mat is great and reaching over is easier when you are all much higher than the play surface.

That being said i am planning a traditional height table for my game room - partly due to space. Sitting outside the table as opposed to around it requires more space.
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

Animewarped
Orc
Orc

Post by Animewarped » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:50 pm

If you don't like wheels, could always just make very short legs and attach plastic discs to them so that they slide. Like the ones they make to move your couch or entertainment center across carpet

nielsene
Ogre
Ogre

Post by nielsene » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:02 am

Rolling tables seems slightly more likely to cause spills, but spills are likely to the floor/rolling table and not the gaming table, so maybe that's still a win.

scott102303
Orc
Orc

Post by scott102303 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:42 am

Separate rolling tables for each player - I hadn't considered that one, but I need to. It would simplify the game table a good bit and give flexibility to where the players can put their stuff and I like making it fit under the table for storage. I have to consider if my game room has the space to accommodate that. As of now, most of my players use a couch and love seat, which is more comfy for our long sessions (typically we play for 7-9 hours) but take up a lot of room.

Animewarped
Orc
Orc

Post by Animewarped » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:48 pm

Have you considered something like a set of small end tables on wheels for the players stuff instead of actually building onto the table? they could be placed next to each player, giving them a place for all their stuff right next to them and not be in the way for accessing the table. Once done, just slide them up against a wall out of your way. Or if they are shorter than the table, they could go under after each game night. Just trying to think outside the box vs trying to build everything in one unit :)

Pizzabagel
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Pizzabagel » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:17 pm

My group has been considering moving from a big table set up, down to a coffee-table height setup where the combat is lower to the ground so everyone can see over the walls better, and there is less chance of bumping the scenery (especially since we use a couch for half of the seating)

The players would switch to using TV tray stands or clipboards for their own stuff.

Haven’t tried it yet though. Our game host adopted a large unruly dog that tries to eat everything with reach. So we need to keep everything (including dice and miniatures) way out of reach of the dog.

zenako
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by zenako » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:27 pm

I and some of my long time gamer friends have suffered thru the occasional dousing of the map with fluid (be it soda, water or adult beverages) on occasion and I know that more often than not, it was because the container was set down on an uneven surface. (Once someone was just that excited that their arm/hand swung quickly away from the die roll and knocked stuff over...)

With any sunken section or change in elevation, the chance for spillage becomes ever present. Outside the play area cup holders (much like Wyrmwood uses) are an excellent idea to minimize those chances. While the DF will sail thru the spill without much issue, a fine wooden table might not be so lucky if there are nearby seams that could be penetrated by the rogue fluid. A nice poly finish can help there and possibly even act as a seal along the inside corners.

scott102303
Orc
Orc

Post by scott102303 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:16 am

Thanks for the quality extra comments, Zenako. I believe I will use solid oak wood for all the support pieces, sides and the like and quality plywood for the tops. I was thinking I would run the metal just short of the edges and might do something as simple as some quality flush screws to hold it down in a couple of places. I was thinking about whether to do a raised lip like you mentioned on the laminate - not sure if the little rise of the metal is an issue. I don't think the sharp edges of the metal layer would be an issue if put flush on the wood surface.

I know this is a challenging build, but I think my cabinet building skills are up to it. I like to have the ability to have multiple builds to work between - a base of operations such as a town scene could reside in the cavity or on a fly-in piece to be used repeatedly along with weekly builds. Pre-DF, I did this by rolling and unrolling battlemaps, so I need an equivalent. I do have another room next to my game room where I store fly-in builds until needed.

I had not considered what a mess a spill onto the table would cause - eek! Putting cup holders on the outside and maybe lower than the table top might reduce the chance of this happening.

zenako
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by zenako » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:05 am

So back to comments about your planned design. Do you have someplace to store the Top Tier when it is not being used or covered? also moving any significant sized section loaded with DF will be pretty heavy and not easy to do.

The complexity you propose is very cool, but how often will you actually use those features. The challenges for the build are significant. Are you planning on this being a craftsman project using solid wood or something put together with plywood and the like? I know you mentioned a sheet metal top to the play surfaces. Sharp edges or recessed slightly from the actual edge of the gaming surface? Most of the DF magnets are located near the middle of DF parts, very few near the edge of a horizontal part, so even if the design went to the edge, you need not have the sheet metal go all the way to the edge. You could look into getting some 5'x9' plywood sheets (might need to get 5x10 and cut it down if you want to) (they make them for things like table tennis tables) and then bond the sheet metal in a bias way, much like my mat, and then glue on a thin laminate that matches the sheet metal thickness to surround the metal and give players some play to put stuff. this solves a number of issues for trays and drinks. If your top tier is a smaller 4'x8' total profile (perhaps in 2'x4' sections, then you could also create various length legs to use for the sections. With screw in legs you could have them be either 4" or 6" or 8" or whatever and if you used different legs for different sections you could create whole levels of dungeons just by having various leg lengths for those sections, without all the complexity of trying to create a bottom sunken tier. This makes the top height modular and gives you options for vertical encounters.

A final point, any sunken section is an accidental spill just waiting to happen.

zenako
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by zenako » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:50 am

That shot was taken between sessions and during a painting spree of some Bones that had been accumulating. The Husky Tool chest at the left edge of the picture is actually the home for most of my DF. Those steel drawers can be packed with dwavenite and not cry uncle since each one is rated over 100 lbs with the metal sliders with bearings. I use some folding TV tables under my side to hold other session info and can use the shelf behind and surfaces to either side to hold other stuff.
Last edited by zenako on Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “How Do I Use This Stuff?”